City of Red Deer

City of Red Deer Employee Reviews

Canada58 reviews

Great City that's growing and improving in its service to the public. The work is not very hard and they will send you to training when possible.

Great work environment and job tasks were never too great not to achieve success. Being laid off too much a year was a problem for me. I spent 17 years with a City the same size as Red Deer, so most of my Training and Education were completed, and having all the years of experience, I thought it would be valuable to them. I was laid off again and moved on, unfortunately.

Pros

Great equipment and people to work with.

Cons

Being laid off was a problem for me.

Negative environment

Horrible place to work poor management Definitely not recommended as a place to work ,shift work split shifts 12 hours spreads 6 and 5 work week Better once full time but that takes years

Pros

Wage

Cons

Split shifts 12 hour duty time

Insights into City of Red Deer

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Great pay, but not much support

The job in itself is terrific. There are amazing coworkers and you get constant training through Inservices. Teaching lessons can be fun, but be prepared to be in the water teaching for long hours.Often there are times that management does not step up to the plate or are not even present at work. Management will often ask you to do jobs outside of your training/pay grade and not compensate you for it. Except for a few positions at each pool, everyone is a casual employee, which means that there are no benefits that come with the job. You have to work a ridiculous amount of hours to be considered to apply for City benefits as a casual worker. This usually means many years as most casual workers only get about 10-20 hours per week.I worked for the City for many years, and overall enjoyed my time. It is great pay and putting management aside, the City of Red Deer is a great place to work.

Genuinely care for Red Deer's success

The City of Red Deer has steered through the brunt of the worldwide oil recession as well as could be expected. The staff truly care about making Red Deer a better and more efficiently run organization, led by their interim CAO.

Great place to work, good fellow staff to work with. Great team spirit and involvement.Work schedule fluctuates at times. Some long days, always extra work available.

Overcoming stereotypes

Being the only indigenous administrative assistant around it was challenging and hard work to overcome stereotypes and prove my worth. I worked very hard.

Benefits

Cons

Stereotypical colleagues

Racist and mean spirited.

A very mean-spirited and petty minded place. There is a culture of backbiting and backstabbing there. Life and work have been made unnecessarily difficult and overwhelming. Supervisors and coworkers are so nasty.

Pros

Cons

Extreme micro- management.

To many cooks in the Kitchen

workplace moral is low, communcation is not always the greatest but that all lies within management. The actual job is very rewarding if you can get past all of that. Also I don't have a consistent schedule, which causes me a lot of stress.

Poor management

Management is very immature they pick favourites and do not have good manners. They are childish and rude.They choose who to give shifts too and that plays along with the favourites, if you’re not a favourite then no hours for you ( this is specifically aquatics department )

Excellent experience

Good pay, great people. I helped other departments when the need arose. Would definitely go back if the opportunity presented itself. Operators were helpful and your input was always welcome. If you were a worker and worked, you should have no issues.

Pros

Pay, friendly co workers, treated like a person

Cons

Sometimes hours were hard to come by

Awesome Place to work, Highly recommend

The City of Red Deer provides an excellent working environment, with competitive pay, it is hard to get work hours at the pool thought sometimes . Otherwise it was great.

Chaos

Untrained management, lack of coordination, no accountability, wrong people in the wrong roles, lack of understanding of the importance of IT and poor utilization of IT, overall chaos

Terrible employer

If you’re looking at municipal enforcement, stop right now and look elsewhere. The city is a joke to work for. If you like having safety treated as a last priority by management then you’ll love it here. And forget about having a sergeant who answers questions. Instead he gets up and walks away when you ask him anything and refuses to help you. Managers, superintendents, and Human Resources are a joke. They constantly bully and harass their staff. The sergeant has neglected to notify staff of court appearances and when they don’t show up, they are blamed and threatened by management. Forget about complaining because the director won’t investigate your concerns and then tell you your concerns are unfounded. This is on top of them having a ticket quota, that they claim isn’t a quota. It’s 10. The daily ticket quota is 10 per person. They constantly lie about it too insisting the quota isn’t a quota. Management was actually alright with an employee not having a bullet proof vest, but still went after him for lack of tickets when he felt unsafe doing traffic enforcement with no armour. They went after numerous others for taking stress leave. You know why they’re all stressed? Because of incompetent management. But management and HR won’t acknowledge they’re the root of it all. They seem to think sending their peace officers into homeless camps while wearing coveralls over their uniform isn’t a safety concern. How about we give our managers a duty belt, and then cover it with coveralls, and then attack them and see how well they handle it? They wouldn’t know what to do but expect -

I always enjoyed my time at CORD. The work can be relaxed, but it is generally a steady and manageable pace. In emergency situations(depending on your department) the pace hastens and critical thinking becomes a necessity. The departmental culture asks for collaborative and thoughtful co workers. Generosity and comaraderie were always keen on the crews that I was a part of.

High paced environment

High paced environment. Staff don't seem to be the happiest around and HR is present a lot. Job itself is high pressure and very demanding. There are some good people here.

Friendly, Some Union Drawbacks

Overall friendly work environment and great teams, only dampened by the Union environment which had very high mandatory pension deduction and Union that generally did not address or defend workers concerns.

no incentives and favoritism

They wont hire full time or part time staff, they hire only casual. Because of this you are not entitled to benefits and your rate of pay increase which is based on hours takes a very long time. Especially if your not one of your bosses favourites. If you dont kiss up enough you dont get the shifts.

Great Organization to Work for

here at the City of Red Deer everyone is patient, helpful and genuinely wants to see you succeed in your roll. Management takes team dynamic very seriously and always strive to make every member comfortable and at ease.

good work enviorment

the work environment is amazing. I love being able to go to work every day and be part of such a great team that cares about you and your work. Best job I've ever had.

Loved it.

I was a temporary hire for a year. Really enjoyed my role there and the people I worked with. People at CORD care about their roles and treat their peers well.

Not everyone is lazy

City workers can get a bad rep. You hear the comments about being lazy and admittedly a lot of this is deserved. Public Works and Parks are horribly unorganized and should be seriously looked at by HR/City Manager. The Electric Light and Power and Environmental Services departments are run very well and the workers are very skilled and hard working. I worked in Environmental Services for Construction and Maintenance. They build and fix the water and sewer system. These guys worked really hard and the work was rewarding but the leadership was hit or miss. The Construction Lead Foreman was the best boss I’ve ever worked for, he knew the job, led by example and was well respected. On the other hand the superintendent was awful. I can’t think of a single time he provided any real value to anyone and he thought of his workers as numbers rather than people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Red Deer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement