City of Ottawa
Happiness score is 73 out of 100

City of Ottawa Employee Reviews

Canada331 reviews

Great place to work but can be difficult to get full time

Great place to work, very good to their employees, pays well and has a very strong union. The only downside is that it can take a long time to build enough seniority to work your way from part time to a full time position.

Don't do it

Not worth the pay, not worth the effort, they more than likely wont pay you for using your vehicle at work either. Working on councillor's row makes you lose your will to live because it's corrupt

Stressful as bus operator but part of job

Very well trained but on your own once complete so you better have a lot of self confidence on your driving skills as well as knowledge of city. A sort of out of the pan into the fire but after about. A year it all makes sense and you learn to adapt job to your specifications within limits.had a lot of fun with people,oh,another skill you ll need ,people skills.

Pros

Pick work detail

Cons

Split shifts

busy

IT experts and other professionals who work at the intersection of health data, technology and innovation. The work is exciting, the people are passionate, and the environment is collaborative and fun!

Little room for growth

Great stepping stone job but no room for growth beyond thatFull time hours available all summer but no hours year roundyou can easily be driving from west to east end in one day for 3 different shifts for only 8 hours.You cannot work over 30 hours.

Pros

good coworkers

Cons

short and random shifts

Productive, fun, changing and different

Working with and for the City of Ottawa was great! I really enjoyed it, people are amazing. But unfortunately training proctors are picky on who they feel should stay or go. It is what it is. I do hope to get involved with another department at some point.

Pros

Pension, pay, benefits, people, union, uniforms, paid lunches and breaks.

Cons

Driving proctor(s) need to be reviewed

Work life balance. Friendly working environment. Respectful workplace culture.

Pros: Service industry. All serves the best interest of customers. Work life balance. Friendly working environment. Respectful workplace culture. Cons: not much

It was a good place to work.

It was a good place to work. Nice place to work . There’s a position for almost everyone. The job Management is great for support, and answering questions.

Pros

Calm environment

Cons

Inconsistent policy practice at times

Unsupportive management

The job will hook you with a decent salary, job security and great benefits but I doesn't take long to realize you're selling your soul for management that considers you very replaceable.

Pros

Salary and benefits/pension.

Cons

Your well-being, need for a lunch, burnout are all non-conserns for your management. You are just a number.

None…8 it’s a great place to work. I have nothing negative to say. It’s sometimes repetitive and not fast paced. But it could also be very busy and fun.

Cons

Great pay and work environment

Because of the great pay, it is very difficult to get hours. Especially since covid, there isnt as many swimming lessons to teach, which is where all the new staff usually start.

Pros

Increasing pay with seniority.

slow and easy but quite stressful and slow paced

working long hours with very repetitive cleaning protocols which are pleasant with music, very boring but also I had worked in the slopes of the covid pandemic

Horrible

Bureaucratic nightmare No critical thoughtKnow everything,accomplish nothing and feel great about your delusional careerSycophants and sociopaths climb ladder only

Pros

Pay

Cons

Everything else

Good easygoing work place

Good job, great people easy going atmosphere. Hours are good as well with overtime if desired. Hard place to get in, but once your foot is in the door that’s half the battle to full time

Good people and good hours

I got this job through a Temp AgencyI knew I wasn’t going to stayThe hours were good until unforeseen circumstances happenedBe careful who you work with!

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Lazy drivers

Fun and Interesting place to work

ZERO support from managers or supervisors. You're left to fend for yourself. All management will push you to do unsafe practices and work beyond LEGAL Hours of Service. IF they are talking to you at all, the supervisors like to talk down to everyone all the time. DO NOT WORK HERE!!!

Pros

Pay check

Cons

Productive and the best place to work

The work environment is very neat and the staff are very close with common goal. There’s always appraisals for staff which brings out the best in an employee. It’s a good work environment.

Pros

Good pay, good everything.

Cons

Probation period too long.

Great place to work.

Great place to work. Flexible with hours on some job roles. Easy recruiting process. You get to move around different work sites depending on the role

A job where you are valued as an employee!

Last year I began working for Ottawa Public Health and I never want to go elsewhere. I feel valued, appreciated and supported by the leadership team not only as an employee, but also as an individual. If I have any concerns, they are quick to address them and will always make it a priority. The management team will come to their employees when making a processes change as they understand we are on the frontlines. For the first time, I really enjoy going to work.

Pros

Salary, support, advancement

Bad shifts for atleast 15 years. Toxic environment

OC Transpo job. The pay and benefits are lower than some private sector jobs. You will be working weekends or nights for atleast 15 years. Atmosphere is toxic.Management only care about meeting numbers regardless of anything else. Some Foreman have pet employees and others who don't fall in line get the short end of the stick

Pros

Security, pension

Cons

Shift work, atmosphere

Salary

The only thing I didn’t like it was not paying well .As full time student and working as a csr,it fit my schedule and and secondly not giving enough hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Ottawa. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement