City of Ottawa Employee Reviews

Great atmosphere.
Soccer Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 March 2019
I enjoyed working this job as it was flexible enough to work around my full time job. I got to enjoy times with young children and be active! I would be careful though if you get told verbally that you could have a job the following year as I had that happen then just recently they said that the full-time position was most likely not going to be open.
Lots of opportunities
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 March 2019
Since there is so many business lines, there is lots of opportunities at the City of Ottawa. From administration, finance, HR, IT, health, engineering, skills trades, etc. etc.
Fun as a Summer Student.
Engineer assistant 7 Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 March 2019
I was working with the City of Ottawa in Infrastructure group as a Summer Student. I worked on many various projects, including Innes Road Widening. Staff, and Experience was excellent!
Pros
great group
Cons
long days
Good PT job for students
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 March 2019
Good part time job for students because of the flexible hours that can accommodate for a busy student schedule. Minimum wage job but it usually isn't that busy (depending on your complex)
Pros
30 min break, great coworkers, great management, lots of shifts available
Cons
long hours (5-7 hour shifts)
Exciting environment
Lifeguard, Swim Instructor, Advanced Instructor (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ON25 February 2019
No work day is typical - while there are regularities, there is always a new experience to be had. It's never boring, there are always tasks to be performed and patrons/clients to get to know.

Apart from it being the perfect student job due to the flexible hours, there is the fact that part-time staff aren't allowed to work enough hours (up to 24). In the current economy, this isn't sustainable.
Pros
Flexible work hours, paid recertifications, fun and exciting work environment
Cons
Not enough work hours, current wages don't match qualification requirements
City of Ottawa
Program Leader and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 February 2019
It was a great place to work and i really enjoyed myself, however I was looking for something with more hours. During my time with the city I worked as a program leader and coordinator for multiple programs.
Pros
people were nice
Cons
not enough hours
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 February 2019
Strong stepping stone for students in an area with lots of different opportunities to present. The diversity in jobs makes it a truly flexible working environment.
Good balance between work and life
Ottawa (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 January 2019
I enjoyed working here and had the opportunity to get a hands on experience. I am happy that I had a chance to work here and it opened my view toward a lot of new things.
Program instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 January 2019
City of Ottawa job is amazing place to work for. They have excellence life balance, salary with benefits. It is very respectful environment that whenever you have problem, they looking to help you out.
Great people
Road Maintenance Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 January 2019
Awesome crew to work with, never a dull moment and always busy. Going around fixing up the city you live in is always nice to get paid to do and people are friendly.
Engaging
CAMP COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 January 2019
My time with the City of Ottawa was one of great development in skills like Leadership and Teamwork; I learned to communicate effectively with Students, Patrons, and Co-workers. All of the managers I had the opportunity to work with lead great teams and kept our wellbeing and growth as a high priority.
Pros
Leadership Development
Cons
Pool Fouling Management
Very good, staff are understanding, training is great
Wading Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 January 2019
Your daily routine with any job city of Ottawa job is to turn up at your shift and do the work that has been assigned to you by your supervisor. The staff are generally understanding when you have questions about the work or training and will guide you down the path of most success. From my experience there have been a few miscommunications between the office and employees in my position, other than that it is an amazing place to work!
Don't get paid enough for what you did
Special Needs Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Minto, NB8 January 2019
I was really looking forward to working for the city of ottawa until I started working there. I was a special needs support worker and I barley got any support from the others staff. There was time where I went the whole day without eating because I had to helped my kids eat because they were unable to do so which is fine that is my job but it would have been nice if i was offered asome help so I could eat my food as well
The City of Ottawa is a very good place to work
SENIOR BUILDING INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 January 2019
As a Building Inspector you would start your day at 7am
Take all of of daily calls and proceed to book your day in order to
star the process of going to each location for the purpose of make sure that the work that was being inspected by you meet the Ontario Building Code.

You learn how to work along , prepare reports etc..

The management will not have your back on several occasion

The work place culture is changing very fast due to the new technologies coming out each year

Make sure that your on site decision with not be disputed by management

The most enjoyable part of the job, is to see someone happy that you have made a on site decision
Pros
Hours of works
Cons
Management refusing to change with the times
Overall Good
VERIFICATION SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 January 2019
Not enough training provided when asked for.
Depending on management, career growth is either blocked or supported.
The City offers such broad services that it allows you to jump around departments and learn new things about the City.
Steady Position
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 December 2018
It's a wonderful place to work if you're looking to stay in a position for a long time. I have been able to work at several locations doing various jobs which is great experience.
Cons
no lunch breaks
Super fun and amazing experience to have.
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 November 2018
Management was amazing and everyone was very welcoming and helpful when it came to my job perfomance. I really enojyed working with the kids and running activities with the other staff.
Lifeguard/ Swim instructor
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 November 2018
Lifeguard/ Swim instructor
Good pay
Good training
Benefits
Safe and fun environment
Lots of work and credentials required
Overall good job to have as a student
Productive and Competitive Work Place
Senior Systems Analyst (SAP) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 November 2018
This place is really a great place to work. The benefits are pretty good. Management is ok. However I find it not progressive at all. They rely mostly on consultants so less opportunities for full time employees to get quality work. Politics is all over the place like any other public sector organization which sometimes kills the merit.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Future growth is not guaranteed
Great workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 October 2018
Everything is well managed and organized. Everyone is always willing to lend a helping hand and you make close ties with the clients, as well as your coworkers.