City of Ottawa

City of Ottawa Employee Reviews

I was very grateful for the Dance Instructor (Advanced Arts) position that the City of Ottawa gave to me! I found the the management very fair and even when I couldn't teach due to another FT job they still kept me on the list for future opportunities! I also found it very easy to get other teaching contracts around the city once I was in the system. A great stepping stone for any dance/arts teacher who is starting out!
Pros
Flexible work schedules
Cons
Limited teaching hours
OC Transpo job. The pay and benefits are lower than some private sector jobs. You will be working weekends or nights for atleast 15 years. Atmosphere is toxic.Management only care about meeting numbers regardless of anything else. Some Foreman have pet employees and others who don't fall in line get the short end of the stick
Pros
Security, pension
Cons
Shift work, atmosphere
The only thing I didn’t like it was not paying well .As full time student and working as a csr,it fit my schedule and and secondly not giving enough hours.
Very satisfy with this place of work. Great rewards, great satisfactions. Always happy to go to work and feel that I'm making difference caring for residence
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Hard work all shift
Nice place to work at. Enjoyed working with colleagues that I’ve know from our community. Great insight since we live directly in the area we are working in.
I have work 11 years at the City. Since the pandinmic I now am not granteeed to get my hours back when I am back to work. I have had several supervoirs since my supervisor retired, that has been very challenging. Last if you are a partimer at the City no matter how hard you work you are not noticed.
Very good salary, but not worth the time efforts or work environment. No wonder they pay us so well, otherwise nobody would do all this work. A few of my bosses were very unprofessional and inappropriate towards me on multiple occasions. I will not be applying in that department ever again.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Unpleasant job, work environment and hours
The City of Ottawa likes to think it is progressive and fair. It is neither. Anyone who considers themselves to be reasonably competent in their field should look elsewhere. Otherwise, make sure you have a plan B at the ready should you choose to work here. Mediocre benefits. You are just a number. Bad mangers never held accountable. Feels like working in a sweatshop. Very toxic. Stay away ....
Pros
Its a job, you get paid.
Cons
Almost everything. Terrible experience. Do not recommend.
Great experience and great lifeguards had an amazing time doing volunteer work they were funny and great teachers to me they would explain to me their experiences so that I could learn
I really enjoyed working with the City, they made me feel welcomed and made sure that I fit in it was a positive experience that made me appreciate the outdoor parks in the community
I had a great experience working for the city of ottawa. There is room to grow as well, if you work hard and are responsible you can be a headguard. The pay is better than most other pool as well.
I had been here for awhile and working with the city is one of the best thing I did as a young teenager. this is a job I suggest It to people to chase and try to get.
working for the city of Ottawa has been a very positive experience and the opportunity to advance is up to how hard you want to apply yourself but the ceiling is very high for advancement.
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
expected to work various shifts at any time
My time with the city was okay. Could have been better, but due to some inherent issues with internal politics, the inter-office battles were stressful and disturbing. I left under some terrible circumstances which I would never have wished on anyone. Sadly, it tainted the experience given whom I worked for and with were absolutely excellent people.
Pros
good people
Cons
some bad apples
as a camp counsellor I was able to create a day to day activity list to help keep my kids happy and active. Enjoyed the freedom to create a plan and execute the plan without any confrontation.
Working for the City of Ottawa gives you the chance to meet amazing people that share the same goals and ideas as yourself. It is a giant team and we all work well together
Job descriptions are written so really only those already in the positions acting could achieve the positions. Management is clueless as to yhe behaviours of its staff and they allow toxic cultures to breed and encourage it. Dont be fooled i have worked here 15 plus years,trust me discrimination, backstabbing, bullying, lack of respect is rampant
management is always extremely accommodating to staff. Great colleagues to work with in a team environment that is physically demanding at times. typical day at work is relaxed as duties are spread out effectively
Interview was mostly on technicality and how we performed in real time. Given scenario that would I be able to solve. Interview was with team of three people.
Working at City of Ottawa was a fun work of space where I had the opportunity to learn with the help of other great coworkers who were willing to sacrifice their time for me. Every day i would arrive and work on the computer in the cubicle they had for me. I learned how to format documents and present in front of others. The workplace was a really fun environment with people who were passionate about their jobs. The hardest part was probably presenting because its something I wasn't naturally able to do, and now I can present with no stress. And the most enjoyable part was the group I was working with. They were helpful and all very nice.
Great workplace culture, very easy to make life-long friends while promoting water safety and physical health. Very organized staff and training procedures. Many opportunities to stay active and learn. Great atmosphere and wonderful experience if you like working with children and working in aquatics.
  1. Employee reviews