City of Ottawa Employee Reviews

offer student opportunities
Laboratory Asst WWS (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 July 2018
Really good job for students. Get an immersive experience into laboratories world + getting a valuable network. Only available to University student within the field.
amazing
Student Helper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 July 2018
Great training programs, and people with a great chance to produce into a career.

I would recommend this to anyone who can get the chance.

City of Ottawa
great workplace, geat team
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 July 2018
great bunch of people to work with and to work for. work life balance is ideal and excellent retirement benefits including pension plan. modern IT work place
Fun Workplace
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 July 2018
People are very friendly and the community is all connected allowing us to stay interactive with each other and help each other when a shift is needed.
Pros
Making new friends
Cons
Long Hours
good environment
Ottawa (Former Employee) –  Ottawa20 June 2018
A typical day at work takes a level of focus that must be maintained as long as you are getting paid for.Its easy to do as long as you are used to it. Its fun working!
City of Ottawa
FINANCIAL SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 June 2018
It can be a great place to work. Can be difficult at times to advance. Very stagnant culture. Slow paced and bureaucratic. Pay is great for the type of work being performed but can become very boring and mundane.
Awesome Job!
Head Instructor City of Ottawa Hockey Camp (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 June 2018
Being a camp instructor the most rewarding job that I have ever had. I love coming into work, it always puts a smile on my face. I always look forward to my next shift.
Government
Student Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2018
At times I did not have anything to do and many of the tasks I was assigned were not very meaningful. I truly found out what a "government job" was. I took another co-op opportunity (I was a student at the time) and a 10 $/hr pay decrease to get out of there.
fun job, great coworkers
Day Care Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 May 2018
the City of Ottawa is a great place to begin you're working career. You gain valuable workplace knowledge and develop great relationships with co-workers. Overall, it's a very positive environment, and I would recommend working for the city.
Opportunity for growth
Park Programmer/ Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 May 2018
Although there is a lot of standing around, it is the best part of the job. You almost feel as though you're not doing anything. I learn a lot from the In-Services. How to treat injuries, how to speak to certain groups of people. Management was great! I loved how they were all so young and easy to relate with. Diverse group of workers. Hardest part of the job was being in the heat in 30+ humidity under a tiny umbrella if you're lucky, but it was manageable. My favorite part of the job was all the friendships I made after doing this job for 2 years. I loved working here.
fun job
Outdoor rink coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 May 2018
this job was a lot of fun as it was pretty much just make sure the ice is clean and safe then, you get to play hockey and get paid. overall very fun job.
Decent job while under 30
Counsellor Special Needs (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 May 2018
working for the City of Ottawa provides steady employment with some basic benefits. Internal Job postings allow for movement to other positions. The salary is low, even at the top end and there are only so many higher up positions.
Lots of policies
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 May 2018
I worked programs with the city such as soccer,hockey and other activities. I was then offered a job at a pool. My first 3 months were good then my boss went crazy and started over demanding. I do not recommend working more than 2 shifts a week.
Pros
Money
Cons
Very tiring
great for students
Customer Service Representative I (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 May 2018
This is a great job if you are a student as they are very flexible with hours. You can choose not to work set hours for several months and stay on the replacement staff list. However, shifts are set for different sessions. This also gives you the opportunity to have different positions within the City of Ottawa.
Pros
very flexible, great for students
Cons
not enough hours, can't leave location on breaks
excellent place to work
pension and benefits officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 May 2018
Work environment is pleasant and provides good opportunities for advancement. The work culture is very dynamic and collaboration between all departments is great.
Pros
Great career opportunities
Cons
Subject to Council decisions which may impact job security
Very rewarding and fun job!
Program Leader/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 April 2018
If you love working with children and have a fun and dynamic personality, this is the job for you! Work with kids of all ages and teach them various skills through play!
Productive and rewarding place to work
Lifeguard and Aquatics Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 April 2018
The city of Ottawa was a great work environment to work in. Supervisors are friendly but firm and help ensure everything is going smoothly. Decent place to work.
Great place to work back in the day
Maintenance/Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 April 2018
Was one of my again favourite places to work great staff back in the day, sure had certain clicks but over all got along with everyone and had my on clicks as well. Lost touch with most of the people sometimes bump into a few but its been years I hope all is well with all of the staff from 2001 to 2003.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Solid, unionized opportunity for lifeguards looking for a stable job.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 April 2018
Unionized work, hours based on seniority, subsidized training. Great framework for lifeguards looking to be in it for the long run. Excellent facilities and teams.
Fun place to work
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 April 2018
With tones of other staff to help you out with any difficulty, and the ability to request hours at your own choice. The city of Ottawa is a great place to work.