CITY OF OSHAWA Employee Reviews

toxic environment
Committee Clerk (Former Employee) –  Clerks Department30 November 2018
This is the worst municipality to work for. They lie to their own council, mislead and manipulate their employees. They are a horrible employer, and they don't care about their employees at all. Work for any other employer than this. Stay clear.
Recreational program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 September 2018
Great to place to work, treated all employees equal and fairly.
wonderful to work with all the children and see them grow and develop in the program. luck to have worked here
Fun and Great place to work
Swimming Instructor & Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON24 April 2018
great place to work, good team work but lots of work outside of work needs to be done like report cards and lesson plans are to be done on your own time and are in trouble if not done
Pros
good pay
Cons
long days
Great Work Environment
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 February 2018
Great team environment
Good pay and benefits
Provided and opportunity/ability to grow and develop a career
Management is well coordinated and maintains effective communications with employees
Very productive workplace, always something to do, good hours, very flexible
Legends Centre Mainteance (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON30 January 2018
A typical day at legends is a very productive, laid back yet efficient day. I am required to do basic janitor duties such as clean floors, glass, bathrooms, tables, etc. I also work as a rink rat by moving the nets when flooding the ice. I am a very easy going, positive person so it is easy to get along with everyone there, no matter the age. The hardest part of the job would be balancing out floods, cleaning duties and setting up for birthday parties and events on time while still managing to attend to then public. Overall I enjoy legends and the day to day relationships I strengthen and gain, and everything I learn in between.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Great part-time job that pays a decent wage
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 January 2018
A perfect job if you hate sitting in a cubicle dealing with office drama. Work is 3 hours daily, an hour in a.m., at lunch and when school lets out.

MUST NOT mind standing, walking, sweating, freezing, or being rained on!

I enjoyed interacting with school kids and parents on a daily basis. Depending on your location, idiot drivers can keep you on your toes. Parked vehicles can cause headaches.

You deal with colleagues only every few months when supervisors do a site inspection, observing if safety rules and protocol are being followed, watching how you perform your duties.

At the start of each school year is a mandatory meeting to attend, and a Christmas Luncheon.

Loved the job, was sad to leave due to health issues.
Pros
Enjoying nature in all weather, being autonomous and independent, contact with community.
Cons
Nature in all weather
Fast paced
Clerk C-OSCC (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 December 2017
Great coworkers, fast paced, able to move around and learn new things. Good pension plan. I was able to learn various different programs that are interchangeable in other areas of work.
A fun, welcoming place of work
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON19 November 2017
My experience through the city of Oshawa is as a Councilor in Training. I spent three weeks in this program. My first week was in class where i gained my first aid certification. The last two weeks i spent in camps working with kids.
Great City to work for!
Community Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 November 2017
All the managers and supervisor were nice people and did what they could to make working a enjoyable time. I do wish there was more opportunity to grow in the area I was in I only left to try and find bigger opportunities. It's a great place to work for a younger individual just starting out in the working world.
City of Oshawa
Casual Employee (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON24 October 2017
I was able to work with great people and interact with great people in a very welcoming community. I love sports and hockey and being surrounded by that every day was great. Loved this job and working in such a kind environment.

Want to know more about CITY OF OSHAWA?

Ask a question
Good place for Field Placement
Field Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 August 2017
I enjoyed doing my Field Placement with the HR department at City of Oshawa. The ladies and gentlemen in the department were very helpful and kind. I was only there for 8 months so I feel like my opinion of working there would not be adequate, but I definitely enjoyed my time there and would definitely have accepted an offer if they were to offer me a position after my field placement.
Very rewarding job, flexible hours, great coworkers.
Hockey Skills Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 May 2017
This is an excellent place to work; it is very rewarding to help the children grow and improve their hockey skills. the coworkers are very supportive and helpful whenever it is required. and the pay is fairy good.
Great job with few hours
Scorekeeper/Timekeeper (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON26 April 2017
Very reasonable hours for someone not looking for too much, great environment to work around. Management is very good, and understanding. The co-workers are friendly and great to work with.
Everyone is Great
Art Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 April 2017
People who you meet are nice and its great to work with the community. There is great interactivity between all members of the work force at the City of Oshawa.
Fun workplace and Rewarding job
Skating Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON21 April 2017
Working part time over the last year I found my job to be very rewarding. Spending numerous weeks teaching kids how to skate and handle the puck and seeing their improvements was fun to see and definitely the most enjoyable part of the job.
The management is very helpful and understanding as they worked around my school and hockey schedule.
Terrible place to work
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 February 2017
Worst job ever. Supervisor was an A-hole. Micro managed and never felt comfortable.Money is good but not worth it. Don't work here period
Cons
Productive and fun work environment.
Student Labourer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON30 January 2017
Work varies from park maintenance to building maintenance. You get the opportunity to meet city executives. Shift work is mandatory. Your coworkers become your friends outside of work.
Terrible place to work
Real Estate Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON21 January 2017
Top down management at its finest. The City manager's office dictates the day to day micro managing of each portfolio and the common saying is "if your not on the bus your under it"
Pros
No longer employed there
Cons
Run like a small third world dictatorship
STUDENT LABOUR (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON18 September 2016
Friendly environment with great colleagues. Job was enjoyable with new events happening weekly and new encounters with different people every day.
Fun and Active
Counsellor in Training (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 July 2016
This was just a summer job and training, but what I would do is go to two different camps over the summer and help out with the programs they had planned. This is were my team leader skills had the most impact as I had to organize a program based of the type of camp for a bunch of kids vary in age and gender.
With the management of it all I wasn't really a big thing that I noticed like how we were doing camps and the only other leaders around were about my age so I don't think I should comment on it. It was a day to day figure out what to do. At most I worked with two other people and I was only with them for a week, so I didn't get to know them too well but I believe they were good people. The hardest part was coming up with an activity on the fly, If something was wrong or the kids didn't want to continue their current one. The most enjoyable part was staying active while working, there wasn't a time when I wasn't moving.
Pros
Free lunchs
Cons
No fans or AC