City of Oshawa, ON logo
City of Oshawa, ON

City of Oshawa, ON Employee Reviews

I enjoy the people at work the parents a very nice

I do enjoy what I'm doing but I'm also looking for a better job indoors right now I'm working Outdoors and winter is hard on me. The parents I meet are very polite and nice Christmas time they're really good to me.

Pros

Good hours. It is 5 days a week

Cons

Working in the winter

Terrible experience

Really despised the entitled patrons that came in, they give you smack about you enforcing policies yet you’re just trying to do your job. Usually resulted in them being let off the hook, making you look bad. Staff would either outcast you or would not support you, usually both. They would leave extra work for the next shift, and some staff that’s been there for a long time simply don’t do their job but get treated better because they’ve been there longer than you have. Each shift I would pray to God someone didn’t collapse at the gym so I didn’t have to do CPR. Some management staff was rude and would talk down to you. Too much liability on you because you’re “representing the city”. Which I mean, c‘mom, it’s Oshawa. Pretty trash to begin with. And don’t even get me started on trying to get a day off, good luck with someone picking up your shift!No benefits, no opportunity to be full time, no chance of moving up in the company, AND you can’t even use them as references because of their policy against it. Sounds great, huh?I would rather recommend you snorting wasabi than working here, it’s less painful. Only thing I took away from here is how much I hate people and how much I hated this job.

Pros

None. This job SUCKED.

Toxic workplace

I worked for the City doing summer camps for the past 3 years. What a waste of my time and effort! The program coordinators pick favourites and only provide opportunities for growth and development for their favourite employees. If you’re not a favourite, you’ll miss out on extra hours and opportunities to try something new. The workplace is very toxic and competitive between co workers because we were all vying to try and become a “favourite”. The program coordinator I reported to was never open to new ideas or suggestions even though it was clear certain programs were very unsuccessful. Job descriptions were also very unclear and I constantly felt like I had to go above and beyond the job expectations in order to successfully do the job. The program coordinator was a terrible communicator and rarely touched base with us unless it was for discipline or to criticize our job performance. There was constant drama between coworkers and it made for a very stressful and toxic environment. I would recommend finding another municipality to work for if possible.

Cons

Long hours, toxic employees

Good place for retirees

It is a split shift job and not a lot of hours per week but besides that it is a very rewarding job. Good job for someone who is retired and just looking for something to fill the void

Pros

Working with the piblic

Cons

Not enough hours

Accounting

I worked as a temp without benefits. The permanent staff were mostly nice but some were difficult to work with and some didn't work at all. They didn't arrange my onboarding correctly. Management didn't get along and there was lots of infighting. Unnecessary complaints and it was obvious many have never had another job.

There is a great deal of nepotism.

While I am grateful for the position I was offered, the staff in certain areas are so unprofessional. Often there are threats of punishment, ridicule, condescending.

Pros

Flexibility to pick up hours of work

Cons

Often employees are brought to tears

productive and fun place to work

everyone is very nice and very talkative, yet always get everything done by the end of the day. this makes your days go by fast. overall its a productive friendly group, and the pay and benefits is a bonus

Disappointed with unprofessional upper management practices

Overall, I am disappointed with upper management and their threatment of part-time/casual employees; especially for a city run organization. They preach a culture of "respect in the workplace", but that respect is not given nor demonstrated to their hard working casual staff.

Great Team of Co-Workers

My co-workers were the biggest part of my job with the City Of Oshawa Snow Removal Team. They made it more enjoyable to shovel snow and salt and be out in the cold at night.

Good for a quick buck

It's good if you need money right away, but the pay per two weeks is terribly small and you get hardly any significant hours. I would recommend this to anyone who needs temporary work or is retired.

Jobs at City of Oshawa, ON

See more jobs

productive workspace

we worked with kids it was fun and I learned a lot This was a training course, that prepared students to work with children.

Great Place to work

I loved working there. everyone was so nice and caring. sometimes a little unorganized but overall very great place to work. lots of hours and flexible ones as well.

Easy and Enjoyable

Simple position, young staff, easy job to grasp and grow at, great for first time high school student. Opportunities within the city for more hours in different areas is a bonus

Good People

money is good but hard to get full time when coming in as a temp. hours are good so there is a very good balance of work life and family life which is a plus

A fun workplace and communicating with other workers

A great place to work as a summer student and with children. It is a great team environment. They have a great training program for students. It's a very positive working environment and lots of different opportunities to work with other camps. Time management and also conflict.

Friendly atmosphere

Overly best place to work. environment is welcoming, management is on point. Downside to it all is travel distance from my home to work. Looking to retire here

Ok place to start your carrer as a PSW

CBI home health is a good start to your carrer but your schedule will be all over the place and you will get calla to add clients in to your already hectic schedule for the day. But over all, it is a good experience and you get to pick your availability.

Pros

Decent pay and travle time

Cons

Long hours, schedule.

Great enviornment

I enjoyed working with all of my co-workers along with performing independent assignments. I loved working outdoors in all types of weather conditions and had a great experience.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Shift work

good salary and benefits

seems to have increased turn over in recent years, there are some great people to work with, unionized and non-union environment, part-time and full-time positions

Fun fast paced environment

was a lot of work at times, the teamwork skills I've learned will stay with me forever. There was a fast paced environment that I found helped me stay focused, and I loved how it was geared towards students.

Enjoyable working enviornment

Individuals who choose to work for the City of Oshawa will gain the chance to work on skills such as - time management - critical thinking skills - interdisciplinary team work - individual work - analytical/detail oriented work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Oshawa, ON. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement