City of Oshawa, ON

City of Oshawa, ON Employee Reviews

Canada56 reviews
Disappointed with unprofessional upper management practices
Overall, I am disappointed with upper management and their threatment of part-time/casual employees; especially for a city run organization.

They preach a culture of "respect in the workplace", but that respect is not given nor demonstrated to their hard working casual staff.
Accounting
I worked as a temp without benefits. The permanent staff were mostly nice but some were difficult to work with and some didn't work at all. They didn't arrange my onboarding correctly. Management didn't get along and there was lots of infighting. Unnecessary complaints and it was obvious many have never had another job.
There is a great deal of nepotism.
While I am grateful for the position I was offered, the staff in certain areas are so unprofessional. Often there are threats of punishment, ridicule, condescending.
Pros
Flexibility to pick up hours of work
Cons
Often employees are brought to tears
productive and fun place to work
everyone is very nice and very talkative, yet always get everything done by the end of the day. this makes your days go by fast. overall its a productive friendly group, and the pay and benefits is a bonus
Great Team of Co-Workers
My co-workers were the biggest part of my job with the City Of Oshawa Snow Removal Team. They made it more enjoyable to shovel snow and salt and be out in the cold at night.
Good for a quick buck
It's good if you need money right away, but the pay per two weeks is terribly small and you get hardly any significant hours.

I would recommend this to anyone who needs temporary work or is retired.
productive workspace
we worked with kids it was fun and I learned a lot
This was a training course, that prepared students to work with children.
Great Place to work
I loved working there. everyone was so nice and caring. sometimes a little unorganized but overall very great place to work. lots of hours and flexible ones as well.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at City of Oshawa, ON?
Easy and Enjoyable
Simple position, young staff, easy job to grasp and grow at, great for first time high school student.
Opportunities within the city for more hours in different areas is a bonus
Good People
money is good but hard to get full time when coming in as a temp. hours are good so there is a very good balance of work life and family life which is a plus
A fun workplace and communicating with other workers
A great place to work as a summer student and with children. It is a great team environment. They have a great training program for students. It's a very positive working environment and lots of different opportunities to work with other camps. Time management and also conflict.
Friendly atmosphere
Overly best place to work. environment is welcoming, management is on point. Downside to it all is travel distance from my home to work. Looking to retire here
Ok place to start your carrer as a PSW
CBI home health is a good start to your carrer but your schedule will be all over the place and you will get calla to add clients in to your already hectic schedule for the day. But over all, it is a good experience and you get to pick your availability.
Pros
Decent pay and travle time
Cons
Long hours, schedule.
Great enviornment
I enjoyed working with all of my co-workers along with performing independent assignments. I loved working outdoors in all types of weather conditions and had a great experience.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Shift work
good salary and benefits
seems to have increased turn over in recent years, there are some great people to work with, unionized and non-union environment, part-time and full-time positions
Fun fast paced environment
was a lot of work at times, the teamwork skills I've learned will stay with me forever. There was a fast paced environment that I found helped me stay focused, and I loved how it was geared towards students.
Enjoyable working enviornment
Individuals who choose to work for the City of Oshawa will gain the chance to work on skills such as
- time management

- critical thinking skills

- interdisciplinary team work

- individual work

- analytical/detail oriented work
great learning environment
Greatly enjoyed my time spent working for the City of Oshawa. I worked primarily out of the Legends Centre which was a fast paced environment and serviced many patrons over the years.
Good workplace to meet new people
i had amazing experience meeting new people,learned a lot I didn't know and learned very quickly the short time I had. it was long hours being there for a full day but it was well worth it and hardest part was learning everything at once but there was helpful people there to coach and help me.
Pros
meeting people
toxic environment
This is the worst municipality to work for. They lie to their own council, mislead and manipulate their employees. They are a horrible employer, and they don't care about their employees at all. Work for any other employer than this. Stay clear.
Honestly the staff was the worse
The staff was constantly stalking you to make sure the work was getting done and if you spoke even to ask a question you would get in trouble, not enough hours ever. It got very repetitive and boring. only good thing was the friends you make with fellow co-workers
Pros
friends
Cons
never having personal space
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Oshawa, ON. Our community is ready to answer.
City of Oshawa, ON Reviews by Location