City of Oshawa, ON Employee Reviews

Enjoyable working enviornment
Supervisor/Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 April 2019
Individuals who choose to work for the City of Oshawa will gain the chance to work on skills such as
- time management
- critical thinking skills
- interdisciplinary team work
- individual work
- analytical/detail oriented work
great learning environment
Fitness Center Supervisor/Programmer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON15 January 2019
Greatly enjoyed my time spent working for the City of Oshawa. I worked primarily out of the Legends Centre which was a fast paced environment and serviced many patrons over the years.
Good workplace to meet new people
Receiving Officer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 January 2019
i had amazing experience meeting new people,learned a lot I didn't know and learned very quickly the short time I had. it was long hours being there for a full day but it was well worth it and hardest part was learning everything at once but there was helpful people there to coach and help me.
Pros
meeting people
toxic environment
Committee Clerk (Former Employee) –  Clerks Department30 November 2018
This is the worst municipality to work for. They lie to their own council, mislead and manipulate their employees. They are a horrible employer, and they don't care about their employees at all. Work for any other employer than this. Stay clear.
Honestly the staff was the worse
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 October 2018
The staff was constantly stalking you to make sure the work was getting done and if you spoke even to ask a question you would get in trouble, not enough hours ever. It got very repetitive and boring. only good thing was the friends you make with fellow co-workers
Pros
friends
Cons
never having personal space
Recreational program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 September 2018
Great to place to work, treated all employees equal and fairly.
wonderful to work with all the children and see them grow and develop in the program. luck to have worked here
Fun and Great place to work
Swimming Instructor & Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON24 April 2018
great place to work, good team work but lots of work outside of work needs to be done like report cards and lesson plans are to be done on your own time and are in trouble if not done
Pros
good pay
Cons
long days
Great Energy
Casual Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 February 2018
Working here, you have to walk on the ice, do minimal heavy lifting, and clean at the end of your shift. Shifts go until 12, and during the last hours you are sweeping, mopping, cleaning bathrooms, changing garbage's and cleaning windows. Drivers license helps.
Pros
Many hours
Cons
Working late
Simple
Outdoor Pool Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 February 2018
Hours were not great and shifts were spread out with many unpaid 'breaks'. I learned about balancing money at the end of the night, calculating balances, handling money, and putting together bank deposits.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
short hours
fun
Sports Instructor every Wednesdays from 5 (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 February 2018
Get to teach sports
have fun with kids
active
challenge
Happy
fast pace
creative
The kids always love the games we play, they're active, and wanting more
Great Work Environment
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 February 2018
Great team environment
Good pay and benefits
Provided and opportunity/ability to grow and develop a career
Management is well coordinated and maintains effective communications with employees
Very productive workplace, always something to do, good hours, very flexible
Legends Centre Mainteance (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON30 January 2018
A typical day at legends is a very productive, laid back yet efficient day. I am required to do basic janitor duties such as clean floors, glass, bathrooms, tables, etc. I also work as a rink rat by moving the nets when flooding the ice. I am a very easy going, positive person so it is easy to get along with everyone there, no matter the age. The hardest part of the job would be balancing out floods, cleaning duties and setting up for birthday parties and events on time while still managing to attend to then public. Overall I enjoy legends and the day to day relationships I strengthen and gain, and everything I learn in between.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Great part-time job that pays a decent wage
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 January 2018
A perfect job if you hate sitting in a cubicle dealing with office drama. Work is 3 hours daily, an hour in a.m., at lunch and when school lets out.

MUST NOT mind standing, walking, sweating, freezing, or being rained on!

I enjoyed interacting with school kids and parents on a daily basis. Depending on your location, idiot drivers can keep you on your toes. Parked vehicles can cause headaches.

You deal with colleagues only every few months when supervisors do a site inspection, observing if safety rules and protocol are being followed, watching how you perform your duties.

At the start of each school year is a mandatory meeting to attend, and a Christmas Luncheon.

Loved the job, was sad to leave due to health issues.
Pros
Enjoying nature in all weather, being autonomous and independent, contact with community.
Cons
Nature in all weather
Fast paced
Clerk C-OSCC (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 December 2017
Great coworkers, fast paced, able to move around and learn new things. Good pension plan. I was able to learn various different programs that are interchangeable in other areas of work.
A fun, welcoming place of work
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON19 November 2017
My experience through the city of Oshawa is as a Councilor in Training. I spent three weeks in this program. My first week was in class where i gained my first aid certification. The last two weeks i spent in camps working with kids.
Great City to work for!
Community Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 November 2017
All the managers and supervisor were nice people and did what they could to make working a enjoyable time. I do wish there was more opportunity to grow in the area I was in I only left to try and find bigger opportunities. It's a great place to work for a younger individual just starting out in the working world.
City of Oshawa
Casual Employee (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON24 October 2017
I was able to work with great people and interact with great people in a very welcoming community. I love sports and hockey and being surrounded by that every day was great. Loved this job and working in such a kind environment.
Good place for Field Placement
Field Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 August 2017
I enjoyed doing my Field Placement with the HR department at City of Oshawa. The ladies and gentlemen in the department were very helpful and kind. I was only there for 8 months so I feel like my opinion of working there would not be adequate, but I definitely enjoyed my time there and would definitely have accepted an offer if they were to offer me a position after my field placement.
Very rewarding job, flexible hours, great coworkers.
Hockey Skills Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 May 2017
This is an excellent place to work; it is very rewarding to help the children grow and improve their hockey skills. the coworkers are very supportive and helpful whenever it is required. and the pay is fairy good.
Fun job!
Concession Stand Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 May 2017
I enjoyed working here. The people were nice and it was alot of fun. In the down time you got to watch the events that came to the arena and any left over food you were allowed to bring home.