City of New Westminster

City of New Westminster Employee Reviews in New Westminster, BC

fun starting position

working for the city was a rewarding experience that allowed me to feel as if i was giving back to the community. the only down side to this job would be the hours and weather dependant work.

A nice and friendly environment to work

Everyone I dealt with was welcoming to my role in the project I was hired for. There really isn’t anything stressful. Everyone I dealt with was professional and passionate about the City.

Supportive, fast paced, highly political environment. Great employees.

I have worked here for just under a year, I am very happy that I made the switch here as I am learning and growing a lot. There is a lot of work and high expectations from residents, council and senior management. New Westminster has a lot of history and an eclectic community making the work variable and interesting. Support from senior management, IT, finance, admin, legal and HR (especially HR) has been excellent.

Pros

Staff development, coworkers, compensation.

Cons

Lots of work to do, time and resources lacking (not in a bad way, just challenging).

The Engineering Department is busy from opening to closing. There is a variety of work to do and people to deal with, both internally and externally. The other staff members are great to work with and CNW is great with it's employees with lots of activities that staff can get involved in.

Pros

Great pay and hours

Cons

Can be noisy when there are a lot of people waiting at the counter.

Don’t work in Parks

Came on as an auxiliary operator in Parks. Extremely dangerous driving mowers and equipment on streets of New West. Management was completely disconnected, had an old parks employee who had left to bylaw services want to come back and was eventually pushed out and let go. Don’t waste your time here....

Ok place to work

they try to only hire auxiliary employees to avoid paying benefits to full time workers. very poorly run city. I would advise you to work elsewhere, even if it pays less.

Amazing place to work with amazing people

Both the people that attend classes and the people that work here are amazing. Lots of flexibility with hours as well as opportunities to teach and learn.

New Westminster, BC work

My favorite jobs have been in the public sector wherein I view the public as my client. This was in Canada, and I learned much about urban issues in this Canadian city, and made an impact on how people use the waterfront there. I was respected and held accountable for my work. I put on presentations for crime prevention planning for community planners and police officers, to show relationships between urban form and crime patterns. I conducted crime risk analyses on selected New Westminster neighborhoods for urban safety, and worked with regional planners for recreation trail connections through the City.

Pros

Solid municipal agency with a long history

Great place to work.

I teach once a week. I learnt to communicate with other instructors and give feedback to each other. It is a multi culture workplace. The only hard part in my case is not many Aqua Zumba instructors and it's hard to find a sub. It is a good place to work. I enjoyed every minutes of my class. It's always a pleasure to serve and see people having fun.

Pros

Exercise while dancing

Cons

hard to find a sub

Work environment in the finance department is toxic and bullying

The environment in the finance department is very toxic- the finance manager was a bully with constant screaming, yelling & very mean to her employees thus making them very scared & nervous.

Benefits

Cons

Toxic environment

Always Productive and Appreciated

No complains here, hope to gain more hours based on what I do for the city and what the community needs. The most enjoyable part of my job is the appreciation that I get from those who I teach basic technology skills. They appreciate it as much as I appreciate them.

detail oriented

Excellent customer service, good with people. A team player, creative, attention to detail and get a long with colleagues. Positive outlook in life and a go getter.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of New Westminster. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.1Job security/advancement