City of Mississauga

City of Mississauga Employee Reviews

Canada189 reviews
Great
Being a camp counselor at the City Of Mississauga was great. The children were well behaved and the staff were kind. My experience was fun and positive.
Great learning experience
Working with the City of Mississauga helped open up a lot of paths for me. I was able to learn how to teach kids from ages 0-14 how to swim and I learned how to provide customers with excellent service. I also improved my communication skills through interacting with my superiors as well as coworkers.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Productive and friendly environment.
The workplace was friendly and the customers were extremely nice. Most of the time, it was only a one-person shift. I learned to work fast and efficiently. Other team members were also very nice and accomodating. The workload and schedule were doable and reasonable. It was enjoyable!
Lots of Learning
It was an honor to work for City of Mississauga, learning opportunities are very high. I got 3 promotions in 7 years, management is very much like a private organization
Productive and fun workplace
Great staff that are friendly and knowledgable. Allow staff the freedom to work independently and are always there with a helping hand if needed. Safe and clean working environment.
Worst Training
Worst training experience in career, had a rude Jamaican named Camille yelling from a paper at us

Management has no clue, beyond fake

Some coworkers are nice, others jealous and gossip

Promoted people to Team Leads who had the worst attendance record, who then go on Long Term Disability year after year
Engaging and Meaningful Workplace
The City of Mississauga offers its employees a learning environment unlike any other. The amount of customer interaction as well as problem solving opportunities I met some of my closest friends through this job and have enjoyed every minute of working with the city.
Harassment in all shapes & forms
I was let go from my job with City of Mississauga for reporting s-xual harassment. I endured bullying and s-xual misconduct from older men and my superiors every single season I worked here. This is a classic municipality work environment. Unless you embody the exact personality that they're looking for, everyone will treat you like an outsider, meaning don't work too hard, show too much initiative or ask too many questions, be petty and gossip when they want you to gossip, don't kiss up but be liked by everyone. It's an incredibly tough culture, I don't recommend working for Parks unless you have a super thick skin and go-with-the-flow attitude.
Productive and hardworking for goof pay
A typical day involves signing in and greeting whoever may come. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people surrounded by you, and knowing that you all work together.
Security
City of Mississauga provided me with a comfortable lifestyle, close location and accommodated me during my injury, Would recommend as a great place to work.
Good luck
Good luck and all the best!
This is a great place to learn everything you need to know about the municipal government office environment.

A great stepping stone and excellent credential on your CV.

Good luck!
Working for the city
A typical day at work is different for every employee in the city, from conveners, to snack-bar staff and maintenance to camp leaders, working for the city encapsulates countless experiences, I have occupied various. In my time working as a summer camp leader my typical day started at 8:30 and ended at 4. In between those hours I would have my schedule prepared for the camp program, take attendance and then start with the first activity. Proceeding through the activities my campers would stop for a lunch break at 11:30, resume following my schedule and then be ready for parent/guardian pick up at 4.The schedules involves various indoor and outdoor organized games and activities developed along High Five guidelines.

Through experience and application I learned amazing time management and organization skills. Every day we work we are tested on these skills and improve them with practice.

The managers I have had the pleasure of working with always applied a genuine diligence to their job and aspired to set a good example for everyone around them. They apply a kind of authentic kindness to their work relationships that is rare in today's society. It made the coworkers feel like one big family which is essentially the workplace culture; very positive and team oriented. It creates a relaxed feel to the employees. We never feel pressured, however we are always thorough no matter what. We hold ourselves and each other to high standards and always help out if one of us falls behind at the job and needs a hand.

The hardest part of the job at first was customer service but since
 - more...
Pros
fun, easy responsibilities, nice coworkers, fun work parties
Cons
not for people who cant wake up early, not for people who can not handle being heavily liable for others
The best workplace i ever had
City of Mississauga is the ideal place to work at, people, management, culture is amazing.
i have worked at the Transportation and works, also the Museum which i loved, if i have the option to work with them again i will not think twice.
Great local community center. Very clean and well organized.
A typical day at work was a physical education class. I made games and would help organize small events for the campers. The hardest part was trying to get everyone involved in a certain game or activity.
Pros
Great work-life balance
Has Danger
Every day is different, no support from senior management.
Customers are from all different walks of life they can and will turn on you when they are having a bad day.

Assaults are on the rise, so expect it.
Productive and Interesting
The work team is wonderful at the facility I work at, but it can also depend on the facility you work at.
The workplace culture is generally relaxed, but requires you to pull your own weight.
Great Place to Work
Good company and benefits. If someone is looking for a job for life, You will interact with your coworkers, as well as the public. There are always opportunities to grow with management and it is truly a professionally run environment.
Great City to Work For
Great City to work for!

Encouraging, welcoming, supportive, room for growth, friendly, open-minded and actually caring about the animals. I had the best Supervisor who was always open to new suggestions and just to talk. Anytime I needed help, everyone would offer their kindness. Seriously, it was the best job I had.
Stressful Experience
It could be very unorganized at times. Counselor to Kid ratio could be very off and you're still expected to manage. Not many supplies or much space to plan fun activities
Pros
Free Lunch
Has a lot of work as an employer
I was hired as an Intern for the City, in the department i got my degree in. The people where wonderful but due to it being a City organization there was a lot of red tape and reasons things could not get done. The management in my department was unreliable, inefficient and inappropriate. I know about of people who have a good experience there because of the people who work there, but it is very hit or miss from what i have gathered. The people who let during my time left because they where worn out and tired of all the drama going on.
Okay
The pay and benefits are good at transit but the work life balance is not the best. Takes many years to get enough seniority to get a decent shift. It's good if you get in at a young age.