City of Markham

City of Markham Employee Reviews for Swim Instructor

I worked as a swim instructor and as a lifeguard part-time. It is a great way as a student to get started and earn some money. However, with all the qualifications and the pay (in comparison with other municipalities) it is not that great.
Pros
Great way to start off as a part-time job
Cons
Lower pay in comparison to other municipalities
Good environment to get used to working in social settings.
The City of Markham is great place to work for anyone who is in need of a job. Whether you are 14 years old or 40 years old, The City of Markham makes you feel comfortable even on your first day. This friendly work environment continues to be exhibited every time you show up.
Many new and fulfilling challenges offered towards a teenager during his first job, Introduced to me how to work on my teamwork, management, communication, interpersonal, and teaching skills.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Cold conditions in the water
As a lifeguard, I would arrive 15 minutes early, ready myself in uniform with first-aid supplies and would go through 15 minute rotations (with a break of the same amount of time every hour) throughout my lifeguarding shift. The pool and deck would then be cleared of ropes and toys, as well as closed and locked before all employees left. Here, I first started developing lifeguarding and teaching skills, such as how to make lessons fun and safe, as well as proper patron surveillance and first-aid techniques. The senior management was largely supportive and helpful, but the junior management and co-workers were not. They would be largely critical and disrespectful, and would make any new employees such as myself feel as they did not belong and were terrible at their jobs. This made the hardest part coming to and preparing for work, and the best part leaving it at the end of the day.
Pros
Supportive supervisors and senior management team
Cons
Disrespectful junior supervisors and staff members