City of Markham

City of Markham Employee Reviews for Program Instructor

Very flexible work hours allowed staff to work around their own lives, which encouraged long-time staff to continue to work with the City. Very rewarding to watch children grow and learn from our instruction, and see them improve as individuals.
Typical day teaching programs or doing activities with campers. Supervisors are always attentive and open, willing to give constructive feedback. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with people who were able to work with me and create a safe and fun environment for participants and ourselves.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
n/a
Fortunate to have an amazing mentor and boss for my return to the workforce. Supportive staff that work well as a team. Great place to work if you like dealing with the public. Tough to move up or get a full-time job.
A good place to work if you want seasonal, contract work. Changes occur frequently. People change positions frequently. lots of time spent setting up and cleaning up. Great place to meet people. Management is somewhat cold to contract and part time employees. Lack of communication and cohesiveness leaves employees feeling neglected and unappreciated.
Pros
flexible schedule if needed
Cons
preparation time not paid for
A typical day at work here would involve intensive set up, depending on the program you teach. In particular to mine, over excessive, unpaid 2-3 hours of work was needed. I learned that connections and strong relationships need to be built in order to have your voice heard in the workplace.
Definitely rewarding to see the children appreciate the work that you give, however at the same time a little challenging dealing with a few kids and trying to get them engaged.
As a program instructor, I have the freedom of creating my own programs for the participants. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with and learning from people with diverse work backgrounds all of whom have an invested interest in community and recreation. The hardest part of this job is the hours. Because programs are regimented on an 8 - 10 week cycle, there are month long breaks in between which makes the hours inconsistent.