City of Markham

City of Markham Employee Reviews

It is a great opportunity especially if you like to work with children of any age. You are able to lead activities and make special bonds. You become a role model that your kids look up to.
Was able to develop my leadership and communication skills while working with understanding and helpful individuals. It was an overall helpful and enjoyable experience
Very nice people. The interview was not difficult but be prepared and dress well. The job was rewarding but temporary. I hope to return to the office in the future.
Budget cuts meant no career growth, good first job but compensation is low. Be prepared for some late nights and early mornings work. Be sure to layer up during the winter season, depending on your position of course.
I enjoyed my two positions there. It was a fun two summers; I learned professional skills and made nice money. My supervisors were friendly and helpful
The children's festival committee is very collaborative and focused. Everyone there has a very clear goal of success for the festival and sharing of ideas is encouraged.
it was a good learning experience. It was a great first job. I learned how to train athletes and different ways to help a player develop. The hardest part of the job is that sometimes the student might be hard to handle other wise on a good day your fine
Good hours, great management. All the staff were friendly. Would highly recommend this job for students who can manage their time effectively. Made a lot of life long friends.
It's an amazing place especially in the sector of the Recreation. Alot of growth can happen here if a youth is willing to show their predecessors dedication and commitment.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at City of Markham?
Excellent working environment, very collaborative and supportive; lot of chances for extra activities if you find extra time. There is chances for advancement for permanent worker.
After working there for 4 year still no full time position were to come up. There are no benefits for part time staff and work life balance is not the best.
Very flexible work hours allowed staff to work around their own lives, which encouraged long-time staff to continue to work with the City. Very rewarding to watch children grow and learn from our instruction, and see them improve as individuals.
Good place to work. Good corporate culture. Good equipment, facilities. Below industry in health and safety, technology, training. Still has small town feel of old.
Pros
Lunches, staff meetings, reasonable workload
Cons
Zero investment into employee advancement, courses.
Enjoyed working here at first until I noticed patterns. Very immature senior staff constantly talking behind part time employees backs and spreading rumours. Obvious favouritism for staff who kiss up to supervisors rather than who can actually do their job properly. Pay is bad for the extra courses and certifications they expect you to get. Do not work here.
Had a good relaxed atmosphere. Many of the people stay there for its security and OMERS pension. If you were a young person, kind of hard to really advance until people retired.
As a student looking to enter HR, this opportunity provided me with a lot of experience where I was able to learn about Union and Management policy interaction in the public sector. I went in as a student and didn't expect much but I was happy with my experience.
They make you work very hard and pay you very little, the hours are alright but you do have to work early in the mornings, depending on location. May have to work weekends also depending on the location.
I had no manager or supervisor from the start of my employment until the end. Very vindictive young staff trying to pose as managers with very little experience. No integrity and lots of internal politics. They make you feel excluded. They have no drawing standards and poor leadership. Upper management has no clue what is going on in the department. Very high turnover.
The City of Markham produces a lot of different cultural and community events and gives a lot of opportunities for volunteers to get their hours while working in a nice, relaxed and friendly environment.
My supervisor and director were disrespectful and rude. Acted very racist towards me. Although I loved working at the City of Markham as an Inclusion Camp Counsellor with children everyday, the only down fall was the staff.
The Town (City) of Markham was a very good place to work. Unfortunately, I had to leave my employment after great sadness to come and move to Cornwall to help my Father, who could not of taken care of himself.