CITY OF LONDON

CITY OF LONDON Employee Reviews

Canada48 reviews

funenvironmentexperiencelotenjoypeopleworkinghard

City of London

Great place to work for the summer time such as students. Wage is above min wage which would be nice for a student. Great staff and supervisors. good training

Pros

pays ok

Cons

Can be Slow

Enjoy and fun with friends work hard every time

My boss is very kind and humble he give me best tools and every time I do my best every time i change my experience and do perfect I start work Monday to Friday 8 to 5 pm fitting kitchen flooring doors wardrobe skirting bord and wood partition I have my own tools I enjoy my work and do my best all the time

Insights into CITY OF LONDON

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Supportive environment

Good work life balance, meaningful work, decent salary/benefits

It's a great work environment that is not too big and not too small. Good opportunities to accomplish meaningful work. Team cultures do differ however, so be mindful that my experience may not be the same as yours. My colleagues, managers, and team members were all open minded and hard working people, which made the work fun. These days however there is a lot of internal turnover (mostly people getting promoted as the City grows), which can lead to a lot more uncertainty and stress, but that would occur anywhere. Highly recommend

Pros

Good work environment.

Cons

Currently stressful because a lot of internal movement (short handed, and a lot of new people unaware of processes)

Workplace itself isn’t bad, easy enough job. Covid restrictions make the job more difficult dealing with unhappy patrons & they don’t pay on time

City of London (parks and rec division) is probably one of the worst jobs I’ve ever had and that’s solely based on the poor training, and worst of all management!! Supervisors don’t help you when you ask for it, never check in, NEVER expresses gratitude or thankfulness- strictly negative and rude (to employees and patrons!!) they can’t pay on time. After Covid lockdown I was informed pay was a week behind, leaving me in an awful position trying to pay bills. In terms of Covid patrons are aggressive and rude a lot of the time and the city has made little to no attempt to keep workers feeling safe and supported on site during these times. DO NOT WORK FOR THE CITY OF LONDON AT CARLING OR STRONACH ARENAS!!

Pros

Not much?

Cons

No support Late pay Unfair shifts Terrible supervisor

Summer Camp Coordinator

Fun work environment and supportive co-workers and management. Pay was fairly low but overall great summer job if you are looking to gain experience working with children.

Its fun

Being a camp counsellor is fun. Just pray you get a good coordinator though some of them will leave you and your co-workers in the dust. If you are at an actual camp have fun but if you're at the playground program be ready for the lack of resources. Its just the name if the game as it is a free program.

Pros

fun atmosphere (usually)

Cons

Kids are very unpredictable

It's a great place to work

Great place to work. Lots of emphasis on safety and doing things correctly. Plenty of bug spray, sunscreen, work gloves, and safety glasses if you need them.

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Tough to get on full-time

High paced office where politicking and gossip run rampant

The job has great wages, a nice pension, and benefits. Hard work and merit usually translated into more work and higher expectations rather than raises or recognition. There are good managers, great managers, and poor managers, as in every office.

Pros

good pension, good benefits, good pay

Cons

politics and union environment

Challenging but gratifying

Overall a great place to work . Lots of opportunities to move around as different jobs become available . I had the pleasure to work for the outside workers local 107 at the City of London and have enjoyed all the jobs I performed over my duration . I made many great friends over the years and treasure those relationships even in retirement . Jobs can be challenging but also gratifying as you learn new skills during your tenure...

Pros

Great benifits and pension plan

Cons

Shift work may be required and long shifts during winter operations - max 13 Hrs

Very friendly and proactive workspace

The people working here are very friendly and approachable. Everyone works hard to accomplish their tasks so that the entire office can function as smooth and efficient as possible. At times the office can feel extremely busy, while other times it can be slow; all depends on the developers and plans they submit. All in all it's a good place to work.

Pros

Pot Luck Lunches

Cons

Can be monotonous work

Productive and Fun

This job is great because you are never doing nothing and the group of people you work with are always cooperative and easy going if you are trying something new.

Pros

Consistent hours

Great foundational job

Working for the City of London as a camp counsellor was a great first job that taught me many foundational skills that I carry still in my career today.

Pros

Great Culture

Great job but no incentive to stay long term

The city is a fun place to work but the lower level employees have no chance for advancement. The pay is ok but in contrast to the cap on hours, unfortunately it's no better than working fast food, which is honest work, but for a municipal corporation, the City of London should be encouraging employees to stay and not pushing them out.

Pros

Flexible hours, fun environment

Cons

No incentive to stay, no opportunity for advancement

Decent

Everything about this job is great but eventually feels boring and drawn out. Lessons for the kids can either be very fun or a pain due to parents not agreeing with your style of teaching or it was just their bad day. Rec swims can get very busy and can be very stressful as well.

Pros

Above minimum wage and free time

Cons

Crazy kids and people who dont understand english

Fun work environment

The work environment is very fun and rewarding however the work can be a bit tiring at times. This job challenges you to think on your feet and work as a team.

Pros

Fun

Cons

Tiring at times

Amazing.

Being able to make a difference in the community by helping children learn morales and empathy is something that i truly cherished. As well, I have made some life long friends having this job.

Pros

Different experience every day, Helping the community, Helping Children

Cons

N/a

Great Job

The management was very flexible with their employees and would always give support when needed. The staff I would work with day to day was excellent, great team environment. Sometimes tough dealing with the public sometimes but most often would be really rewarding job when teaching swimming lessons and dealing with the kids.

Pros

Great staff

Cons

Wages

Fun Workplace

Awesome beginner job! It was fun to work at a camp and play with children all day! I learned team work skills, how to manage children, and discipline.

City of London Playleader

-Planned and ran activities for kids ages 6-12 -casual environment, really fun if you're working with good people -decent pay considering how easy the job is

Seasonal work, learned alot

Working at the city of london was great! I learned alot about how our city is kept clean and who fixes our citys problems. The people i worked with was an amazing group of full-time employees and seasonal workers like myself.

Pros

The pay

Cons

Waking up at 4 to start a 5-1 shift

Productive and fun workplace environment

I learned to communicate effectively with a variety of individuals. Public service provided me with the skills to interact with the community positively. Time management was a must especially when posing Health and Safety Risks such as replacing manholes, sidewalk and road replacement, pothole filling. The most enjoyable part of the job were the people.

Pros

Paid lunches and breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CITY OF LONDON. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement