CITY OF LONDON

CITY OF LONDON Employee Reviews

Canada39 reviews
The people working here are very friendly and approachable. Everyone works hard to accomplish their tasks so that the entire office can function as smooth and efficient as possible.

At times the office can feel extremely busy, while other times it can be slow; all depends on the developers and plans they submit.

All in all it's a good place to work.
Pros
Pot Luck Lunches
Cons
Can be monotonous work
This job is great because you are never doing nothing and the group of people you work with are always cooperative and easy going if you are trying something new.
Pros
Consistent hours
Working for the City of London as a camp counsellor was a great first job that taught me many foundational skills that I carry still in my career today.
Pros
Great Culture
The city is a fun place to work but the lower level employees have no chance for advancement. The pay is ok but in contrast to the cap on hours, unfortunately it's no better than working fast food, which is honest work, but for a municipal corporation, the City of London should be encouraging employees to stay and not pushing them out.
Pros
Flexible hours, fun environment
Cons
No incentive to stay, no opportunity for advancement
Everything about this job is great but eventually feels boring and drawn out. Lessons for the kids can either be very fun or a pain due to parents not agreeing with your style of teaching or it was just their bad day. Rec swims can get very busy and can be very stressful as well.
Pros
Above minimum wage and free time
Cons
Crazy kids and people who dont understand english
The work environment is very fun and rewarding however the work can be a bit tiring at times. This job challenges you to think on your feet and work as a team.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Tiring at times
Being able to make a difference in the community by helping children learn morales and empathy is something that i truly cherished. As well, I have made some life long friends having this job.
Pros
Different experience every day, Helping the community, Helping Children
Cons
N/a
The management was very flexible with their employees and would always give support when needed. The staff I would work with day to day was excellent, great team environment. Sometimes tough dealing with the public sometimes but most often would be really rewarding job when teaching swimming lessons and dealing with the kids.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Wages
Awesome beginner job! It was fun to work at a camp and play with children all day! I learned team work skills, how to manage children, and discipline.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at CITY OF LONDON?
-Planned and ran activities for kids ages 6-12
-casual environment, really fun if you're working with good people

-decent pay considering how easy the job is
Working at the city of london was great! I learned alot about how our city is kept clean and who fixes our citys problems. The people i worked with was an amazing group of full-time employees and seasonal workers like myself.
Pros
The pay
Cons
Waking up at 4 to start a 5-1 shift
I learned to communicate effectively with a variety of individuals. Public service provided me with the skills to interact with the community positively. Time management was a must especially when posing Health and Safety Risks such as replacing manholes, sidewalk and road replacement, pothole filling. The most enjoyable part of the job were the people.
Pros
Paid lunches and breaks
Great work environment, easy going staff.
learned time management skills, good work ethics.

management is good but only hire family or close family friends for permanent full time positions.

hardest part of the job is watching lazy useless people get full time while the hard workers get snubbed.

the people you work with is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
good steady hours with good pay.
Cons
not usually noticed for your effort and hard work.
Offering a service to your community to help improve your surroundings and see the satisfaction from everyone. Helps give you the motivation to come to work everyday.
Typical day at Work includes, changing garbages, moving hockey nets, helping the general public. I have learned a lot about working for the city, ect, how to interact with the public in a positive manner, how to properly do the job at hand. My supervisor is a huge part in my growth with the city. Hardest part of the job has to be dealing with all the 'bad' parents. the most enjoyable part is talking with the operator on duty, and just getting to know each other.
Before I get to my concerns, I just want to say that my direct management has been tremendous. I can't say the same for other departments that I deal with, but I'll get into that.

Working for the City has been an eye-opening experience. There is a complete lack of communication between departments, making the simplest tasks the most daunting and frustrating experiences. The politics are overwhelming and sour what could be a positive working environment.

I've learned that as a casual employee for the City of London, that I'm basically dirt. Even as someone who is in an insignificant position, I still have to manage entire buildings. Yet, when something goes wrong in one of those buildings, it's always due to a lack of communication between departments. Then I get to hear the criticism, nothing is ever done to rectify the horrendous communication breakdowns, and we're left at square one when something else goes awry.

I'm constantly being told about internal job postings in order to get ahead with the company. Unfortunately, the City loves its nepotism, and you will constantly hear of people getting jobs because of the people they know. I know that's a reality in a lot of places, but it's unfortunately quite present in this corporation. I've seen it. A lot of it.

My experience has been frustrating to say the least. I still enjoy the people I work with, but that's as far as it goes. I can't stand the lack of communication, the lack of pay, and the lack of respect. I can't move on soon enough.
Pros
Direct management
Cons
Everything else
Very slow moving if you come from private sector. Got more done during Union strike as Manager.
Good Managers. Upper Managers are focused on Project management and hold project managers in higher regarding than the people holding the expertise.

Very focused on job review and metrics to track when most companies are removing the performance review.

City of London pays 20 k below other Cities for managers in IT

Hardest part of the job. Dealing with entitled union staff.

Most enjoyable part of the job...Leaving at end of day.

City is really run by two people. HR is very anti benefit
I would never recommend this LTC facility to work at. Worst management I have worked under. Most staff try to provide the best resident care they can but it is a fear based job culture, no management support and the management constantly contradicts itself. Management also does not take the time to know the residents and I have been present when they have spoken in an unprofessional manner about the residents as well. The facility itself is clean and the surroundings are beautiful. If the city cleaned up the management team and listened to staff input the residents would be the ones to benefit the most from this as the Dearness employees would be much happier and enjoy coming to work.
Pros
Most staff are friendly and try to provide good care
Cons
everything else
I worked as a camp counsellor floater for a summer and enjoyed my experience however I did feel like just a fill in whenever I got to a shift. I wasn't treated with the same respect because I was temporary but I still enjoyed the kids and working outside. The management at higher levels was good and there was always a good on site manager as well. Everyone was a hard worker and got to work 20 minutes early. Rewarding but tiring job.
Pros
Good pay and good hours
Cons
Long days
Working with the city provides a lot of flexibility and the chance to meet a lot of different people. Just being able to work with children and all sorts of different people is amazing.
Pros
Meeting new people, a leadership role
Great management, environment and motivation. Management teal always motivates to learn and gives more. A lot of courses were free for the employees "lunch and learn", so I was always learning about something.
Pros
Cons
N/a