CITY OF LONDON Employee Reviews

Amazing.
DayCamp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  London, ON20 August 2018
Being able to make a difference in the community by helping children learn morales and empathy is something that i truly cherished. As well, I have made some life long friends having this job.
Pros
Different experience every day, Helping the community, Helping Children
Cons
N/a
Great Job
Instructor Guard (Former Employee) –  London, ON20 June 2018
The management was very flexible with their employees and would always give support when needed. The staff I would work with day to day was excellent, great team environment. Sometimes tough dealing with the public sometimes but most often would be really rewarding job when teaching swimming lessons and dealing with the kids.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Wages
Fun Workplace
Senior Leader Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 April 2018
Awesome beginner job! It was fun to work at a camp and play with children all day! I learned team work skills, how to manage children, and discipline.
City of London Playleader
Camp Counsellor ("Playleader/Floater") (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 April 2018
-Planned and ran activities for kids ages 6-12
-casual environment, really fun if you're working with good people
-decent pay considering how easy the job is
Seasonal work, learned alot
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 January 2018
Working at the city of london was great! I learned alot about how our city is kept clean and who fixes our citys problems. The people i worked with was an amazing group of full-time employees and seasonal workers like myself.
Pros
The pay
Cons
Waking up at 4 to start a 5-1 shift
Productive and fun workplace environment
Temporary Labourer- Exeter Road Yard (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 January 2018
I learned to communicate effectively with a variety of individuals. Public service provided me with the skills to interact with the community positively. Time management was a must especially when posing Health and Safety Risks such as replacing manholes, sidewalk and road replacement, pothole filling. The most enjoyable part of the job were the people.
Pros
Paid lunches and breaks
fun enjoyable workplace
Laborer (Current Employee) –  London, ON21 October 2017
Great work environment, easy going staff.
learned time management skills, good work ethics.
management is good but only hire family or close family friends for permanent full time positions.
hardest part of the job is watching lazy useless people get full time while the hard workers get snubbed.
the people you work with is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
good steady hours with good pay.
Cons
not usually noticed for your effort and hard work.
Enjoyable Days
Ground Maintenance (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 October 2017
Offering a service to your community to help improve your surroundings and see the satisfaction from everyone. Helps give you the motivation to come to work everyday.
productive workplace
Building Attendant (Current Employee) –  City of London, ON11 September 2017
Typical day at Work includes, changing garbages, moving hockey nets, helping the general public. I have learned a lot about working for the city, ect, how to interact with the public in a positive manner, how to properly do the job at hand. My supervisor is a huge part in my growth with the city. Hardest part of the job has to be dealing with all the 'bad' parents. the most enjoyable part is talking with the operator on duty, and just getting to know each other.
Frustrating environment
Facility Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London, ON27 August 2017
Before I get to my concerns, I just want to say that my direct management has been tremendous. I can't say the same for other departments that I deal with, but I'll get into that.

Working for the City has been an eye-opening experience. There is a complete lack of communication between departments, making the simplest tasks the most daunting and frustrating experiences. The politics are overwhelming and sour what could be a positive working environment.

I've learned that as a casual employee for the City of London, that I'm basically dirt. Even as someone who is in an insignificant position, I still have to manage entire buildings. Yet, when something goes wrong in one of those buildings, it's always due to a lack of communication between departments. Then I get to hear the criticism, nothing is ever done to rectify the horrendous communication breakdowns, and we're left at square one when something else goes awry.

I'm constantly being told about internal job postings in order to get ahead with the company. Unfortunately, the City loves its nepotism, and you will constantly hear of people getting jobs because of the people they know. I know that's a reality in a lot of places, but it's unfortunately quite present in this corporation. I've seen it. A lot of it.

My experience has been frustrating to say the least. I still enjoy the people I work with, but that's as far as it goes. I can't stand the lack of communication, the lack of pay, and the lack of respect. I can't move on soon enough.
Pros
Direct management
Cons
Everything else
Worked in IT
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  IYT15 August 2017
Very slow moving if you come from private sector. Got more done during Union strike as Manager.
Good Managers. Upper Managers are focused on Project management and hold project managers in higher regarding than the people holding the expertise.
Very focused on job review and metrics to track when most companies are removing the performance review.
City of London pays 20 k below other Cities for managers in IT
Hardest part of the job. Dealing with entitled union staff.
Most enjoyable part of the job...Leaving at end of day.

City is really run by two people. HR is very anti benefit
Dearness Long Term Care
nursing (Former Employee) –  Dearness1 August 2017
I would never recommend this LTC facility to work at. Worst management I have worked under. Most staff try to provide the best resident care they can but it is a fear based job culture, no management support and the management constantly contradicts itself. Management also does not take the time to know the residents and I have been present when they have spoken in an unprofessional manner about the residents as well. The facility itself is clean and the surroundings are beautiful. If the city cleaned up the management team and listened to staff input the residents would be the ones to benefit the most from this as the Dearness employees would be much happier and enjoy coming to work.
Pros
Most staff are friendly and try to provide good care
Cons
everything else
Fun and organized
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 June 2017
I worked as a camp counsellor floater for a summer and enjoyed my experience however I did feel like just a fill in whenever I got to a shift. I wasn't treated with the same respect because I was temporary but I still enjoyed the kids and working outside. The management at higher levels was good and there was always a good on site manager as well. Everyone was a hard worker and got to work 20 minutes early. Rewarding but tiring job.
Pros
Good pay and good hours
Cons
Long days
Great place to work and very flexible
Instructor (Current Employee) –  London, ON30 April 2017
Working with the city provides a lot of flexibility and the chance to meet a lot of different people. Just being able to work with children and all sorts of different people is amazing.
Pros
Meeting new people, a leadership role
Excellent job place
Business Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 February 2017
Great management, environment and motivation. Management teal always motivates to learn and gives more. A lot of courses were free for the employees "lunch and learn", so I was always learning about something.
Pros
Cons
N/a
Amazing people to work with! Awesome enthusiasm.
Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  London, ON2 December 2016
As a Camp Counsler you have to make sure the environment is fun and enjoyable. Working with my colleagues I have learned how to take time to sort out hard situations. the hardest part of the job is telling kids that they can't do something, seeing that they can't join in on the fun is the hardest. The most enjoyable thing about my job is all of if. The smiles on the kids faces in the morning and the smiles when they leave. The parents feedback on how we do as leaders. Making a difference in a child's life. That's the most enjoyable thing about my job
Pros
Excitement
Helping Profession
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 January 2016
While employed with the City of London from 2000 to 2015, I gained numerous skills from on-the-job training and courses. As well, the benefits received were excellent. I worked with many knowledgeable staff and made life-long friendships. I am grateful to have been an employee with this corporation.
There is a proactive social committee that plans and organizes several staff events throughout the year.
Operation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, ON2 December 2015
Supportive management team like no other. There are employee development classes for those wishing to continue their studies. There are employees that look for community perks to share with the team for example organizing bus trips to baseball games, suite purchases at Budweiser Gardens for concerts and plays - then sell reasonably priced tickets to employees.
Pros
Reduced admissions at other attractions.
Cons
The bureaucratic organization structure makes it slow to react to market change.
Its a city job
Construction Crew Member (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 October 2015
Never have I worked somewhere where I didn't fit in because I was working too hard. In my first week they told me to slow down my work pace around once a day. Seniority is how you rank among other employees hard work will get you nowhere.. or at least where i was employed.
Pros
Nice pay
Cons
not a friendly work enviroment
Creative and fun atmosphere
Head Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 May 2015
Lots of freedom to create my own program ideas.

I learned how to problem solve, time management, communication, collaboration with co-workers, self-management.