City of Kitchener, ON

City of Kitchener, ON Employee Reviews

Canada70 reviews

Administrative support

Worked for numerous departments, learned a variety of work related activities to assist staff and the public. I was very fortunate to have been employed with a great organization

Pros

Having the opportunity to work in several divisions

Lifeguard to headguard

It’s fine as a teenager/young adult but won’t pay the bills. The gap between guard wage and minimum is ever so shrinking so everyday it makes less and less sense to become a guard with all the quals and stuff you need to go through. I wouldn’t recommend it unless the pay is bumped up or all the stuff you gotta do becomes less

Pros

For the most part you can pick your hours, sometimes you’ll teach sweet kids and they’ll give you a cute thank you card, you can always “outsource” your swim lessons and charge them a fair price, certain days can be “dead”

Cons

The pay is pennies above minimum wage, You are responsible for peoples lives, You have to deal with dumb parents/customers, your coworkers can make or break the shift, you might have to pick up their slack, you don’t get paid more no matter how big a class you get, aquafit is required for head guard, weekends during normal time are nuts

Insights into City of Kitchener, ON

Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things

Terrible management

No communication of expectations by management, no care for employees (part-time employees in particular), no performance reviews or feedback/communication on work performance. Negative working environment and lots of gossip. Scheduling was terrible - would be scheduled every weekend and sometimes with not enough time between shifts as per the ESA.

Cons

Mainly weekend shifts, unsupportive management

Great experience!

It was great experience though very short stint, team was approachable and helpful. I was given one day training.Most of the time it was coordination and documentation

Great leadership and a collaborative place to work. The culture here is well planned and followed. Respect and kindness are the foundation of what make City of Kitchener a great place to work.

Decent Teenage Job

Typical life-guarding job. Position included teaching swimming lessons and guarding public and lane swims. Staff were great to work around. Wage is minimum and could be better.

Very productive

• Provide support and maintenance for in-house computer systems, including carrying out diagnosis, upgrade, repairs, maintenance, and installation of all equipment and hardware devices, as well as ensuring top performance of workstation. • Troubleshoot remote users' issues by applying remote monitoring and management software. • Hands on experience with IMAC methodology and assisted break fix issues. • Diagnosed and repaired hardware/software with desktops, notebooks, netbooks, monitors, end- user and tablets. • Performed hardware and software support and installation.

Supportive and Flexible

Working for the City of Kitchener has been a wonderful experience so far. Not only are they a great employer they also maintain having the utmost respect and support for all who are employed by them. Working for the City has allowed me to grow as young individual looking to mold her future as well as balance my work life, without the support and flexibility of my employer I don't know that I would have achieved all that I have.

productive and easy going workplace

i was able to learn time management skills. Some days we would have to rush to get everything done, whereas, on other days the crew would have to go at a more slow pace to take up the full work day hours.

Amazing opportunities for personal and career growth

I have worked two jobs for the City of Kitchener. I could not be more proud of my home town government! It is the perfect place to work for all. Diversity matters here. Experience is experience as they say!

Poorly managed

For the task at hand, management did not provide the necessary staff or leadership to effectively tackle problems that arose. Very strange schedule, with little consideration given to workflow.

Awesome

i enjoyed working here, people are friendly, manager was great. I had a lot of fun teaching swimming lessons, as well as getting to know my fellow coworkers.

fast paced and engaging environment

The city of Kitchener pools are great places to work for high school students looking for a part time job with minimal and flexible hours, with benefits of cheap re certifications and a fairly high rate of pay. However, full time hours are not easily available and the course requirements for the job are expensive. This job is mostly a resume builder.

Great Place to Work

City of Kitchener is always looking for ways to improve their business and hire the best people. The city has great wellness program that all employees can take advantage of.

Fun workplace with lots of opportunity for extra hours.

Great place to work, friendly workers and great management. Lots of opportunity for extra hours if available. Some leeway on hours if you have another job or can't make the normally scheduled time.

Pros

Great management, friendly coworkers, fun environment.

Cons

Must have G license for full time

good workplace

an excellent place to work. it has benefits and the management is friendly and will accommodate any issues you may have. the work is required and is a safe workcplace

Great coworkers, salary and benefits

I love my job, and the people I work with! The salary is great, and so are the benefits. Management, however, is not so great. They tend to micromanage and play favourites. All in all, a great place to work though.

I worked with the city as a co-op student and as an employee, great work environment, pay and benefits. The work is rewarding and the employees are friendly.

Good place to volunteer.

I volunteered with children in summer camps for multiple years and enjoyed the friendly atmosphere the children had. Somewhat cliquey between the counsellors and volunteers, unfortunately.

Good coworkers, difficult clients

Because I was a camp leader I worked with children all summer long. The children were quite difficult despite the training I had but the coworkers made days bearable because the were fun and understanding.

Fun, hands on environment!

As a volunteer this was a very fun, and hands on environment. A great learning opportunity, as well it was meaningful to work in such a positive and charitable atmosphere where you can give back to the community.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Kitchener, ON. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement