City of Kawartha Lakes

City of Kawartha Lakes Employee Reviews

Canada20 reviews

workgreatenvironmentskilljobpeoplestaffbenefit

Good Work environment

Employer is committed to staff but still clique ish. Trying to be proactively advanced but refuses to adapt to new procedures. There is a vast gap between Management and Union workers wages. Willing to compare wages to other municipalities only to benefit management, resulting in high turnover of staff leaving after training.

Pros

Great training ground

Cons

Fragmentation of union wages

Management doesn't train

Management expected you to know exactly what they want from you without telling you. The manager micro-managed then expected you to know to take initiative. The inter-departmental relationships are stressful but co-workers were great.

Insights into City of Kawartha Lakes

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness

Over worked, under paid.

Over worked, assigned tasks that aren't part of my job. Under paid for the area and field of work, but benefits are pretty good. Management doesn't care about employees. Union doesn't care either.

Pros

Scenic views, benefits.

Cons

Pay, management.

Don’t waste your time here

Fire management are the biggest joke. It’s an ol boys club at best and admin does nothing about it. Supervisors in each hall make up false reports on those they do not like. And ignore everything else if you are in the “ click” Human Resources sides with admin, so don’t go to them or you are the problem. Stn 7 is the worst of them all. Wouldn’t recommend working there at all!

Pros

Cons

Old boys club, fire chief hides from all the problens

Energetic and delightful

The co workers and managers are respectful and caring. Correction was given in confidential and repectfully. I was given freedom in program planning and allowed to work independently.

Pros

Flex work hours

Cons

Traveling between branches

good place to work

good place to work for those looking for a work/ life balance away from the hustle and bustle of the downtown core. Cost of living is much less and people are generally friendly.

Don’t recommend

Not a very positive work environment. Hard to work with a lot of very negative coworkers. Not up to date with machinery, building is very out of date.

Pros

Good wage

Cons

Staff and management

Day Camp Counselor

Responsible for direct care, programming, and implementation of program plans; establish and maintain positive daily communication with children, families, facility staff; Act as a role model for children, volunteers, students and fellow staff members

Horrible experience

Management of this municipality is bloated and useless. Those in management positions have more power than they know what to do with and less compassion or brains than needed in order to build successful teams. Lack of leadership skills with an abundance of "leadership" positions made this experience abysmal. The folks doing all the work receive little to no recognition but all the blame. It's

An amazing environment to learn and grow in.

Smaller than many other Regions, CKL is a great environment to learn and develop in as a municipal employee. However, being a rural community it does lack some upper management progressive thinking.

Depending on Department, company culture is poor and creates unnecessary stress.

Some areas/departments are better than others. My experience with management has been negative. Salary and benefits are comparably good, but management people skills are poor.

Friendly, organized & multiple aspects of engineering to get exposed to

Friendly, organized & multiple aspects of engineering to get exposed to for a summer position. I was exposed to inspection on my own for the first time - taking samples, dealing with contractors, listening to concerns and resolving problems.

A healthy work environment

The CKL was a fun and healthy work environment for a summer student. I learned a lot about solid waste, recycling, water smapling and ground water wells.

Helping in the Community

I enjoy being able to help others in our community. Our group of volunteers work well with each other to make sure that each and every call is attended in a timely manner to help with the emergency.

Unique Experience

The wastewater treatment plant offers unique challenges and new technologies, which made it a great place to gain valuable experience. The previous management was very difficult to negotiate with and maintained an "Us versus Them" culture, but has since changed. Operations crew in Wastewater, Water and Collections/Distribution were some of the best I have had the pleasure of working with. Hardworking, passionate and very knowledgeable.

Pros

Independance and hands on learning experience.

Cons

Rate of pay is not in line with industry "norm"

Service set on acheaving high standards

Very forward thinking upper management has made this service one of the best in the province, providing opportunities for its staff to accelerate their careers and advance within their careers as paramedics

Productive and

I enjoyed every part about working with the City of Kawartha Lakes. It is a very professional and safe work environment.

I dont do what I do for the money

A typical day at work can be anything from a grass fire/vehicle fire to a fully engulfed apartment building. There are also many C02 and medical calls, as well as vehicular accidents. When a fire does happen, the day can be 2 hours or 24 hours depending on weather and structure conditions. The people I work with when I am available for calls are my family, I trust them with my life some days and so far we have always prevailed. I am consistently learning about all new construction types and vehicle types, as well as power sources and how to shut them all down. Medical training is up to date every couple months, and we train 2-3 times a month. We do not get paid well for what we do, and there is not far for us to go up a ladder for advancement. ....And for life balance....you never know when your going to have your pager go off, Some times it can be really inconvenient and understanding of employers is wanted sometimes. I work in the kawarthas, the car accident I go to or house fire I go to could be someone you know. Please move over when the green light is on.

Pros

Job completion

Cons

Never knowing when hours are(on call 24/7/365)

Productive and fun workplace. Great environment.

Only downfall is as a contract worker you are not able to get a full time job very easily. If a ful time or part-time regular employee applies for the same job as a contract worker, the regular employee gets first consideration

Pros

Great people, great environment. Loved going to work

Cons

Contract workers find it hard to get full time employment

Rewarding Student Job Experience

Typical day of work consisted of greeting regular patrons, guarding the pool and teaching swimming lessons. I learned valuable customer service skills and how to manage responsibility. Management was great, always on top of things. Hardest part of job was the level of cleanliness that was maintained on a daily basis. Most enjoyable part of the job was the children learning how to swim under my care.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Kawartha Lakes. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement