City of Kamloops

City of Kamloops Employee Reviews

Union environment has pros and cons.

Great pay and decent benefits. Lots of skilled, smart employees. Your experience working here will depend on your manager and team. Union tries its best.

Job Overall Satisfaction

A typical day at work would be booting up all the computers, watering the plants, printing agenda for our daily real estate meeting. And many other things throughout my day.

Pros

1 hour for lunch, excellent benefits, great hours, free gym

Cons

bossy people that have been there too long and think they know everything

Friendly staff and atmosphere. Beautiful facility with lots of events that take place. Job security with a great Union. Excellent benefits. Non-normal working hours.

The City is a very good job. The pay and the pension and benefits is what I was looking for.

Overall the City of Kamloops is a great place to work. The only thing that I would improve on is the training. The training here is way below average.

Pros

Pension and benefits

Cons

No training

Facility Operater

I worked for the City of Kamloops ice facilities as a operator or janitor in which is the appropriate term. Working the night shift at the rinks was a difficult task. Employees whom work before my shift were leaving close to 45 min before there shift was over. They expected myself to arrive 30 min early so they can leave. The place was a mess. Having to clean both rinks, plus edge the ice, remove all garbage, clean all offices by yourself. If you missed a spot on the floor the supervisor will make sure it's on the board for everyone to see that day. There was no effort from the previous shift to clean or help the night shift. This job was the worst job I have every had. City of kamloops is all family members giving and promoting there relatives to better positions. The benefits were great but the term "city workers " and the so called "passing the buck" is prevalent. Nobody does anything about it but complain to each other. It's a bad environment.

benefits

Cons

pass the buck mentality, family workers

Good work/life ratio

Good support from the Sports Coordinator DIrector I enjoy the job I do and would like to be more involved. Many opportunities for learning and achieving new certifications.

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn more

Cons

not many new job openings

Amazing place to work

Though it was a temporary summer position, I found the work climate to be supportive and engaging. We set our schedules for most days so it was nice to be autonomous in my work and really get to design my own work days.

Pros

Free cake whenever theres a birthday

Solid workplace

Good local government organization in a nice city. Lack of advancement due to unionized environment and positions available. Many people work here for life. It's a government, so expect a bureaucratic work environment. Good wages and benefits.

Pros

Good salary/benefits

Cons

Bureaucratic

Terrible place to work. Management is incompetent and discriminatory

Daily routine consisted of being constantly discriminated from management, co-workers would work minimally and get praise from management. Management and supervisors were bias and showed obvious favoritism. Unless you try to suck up to your manager or supervisor, you will be treated unfairly and others who do will get preferential treatment. Human resources does not help it's workers and is the worst human resource department I've seen in all my years in the workforce. Do not work for this organization. It is poorly managed and they couldn't terminate a worker who didn't do his work. The worker ended up keeping his position and the City spent over $80K in the attempt to not even terminate him. STAY AWAY!

Pros

Cons

Poor Management.

Great employer

Great advancement opportunities, excellent moral, many great people to work with and for. Enjoying my employement with the Parks Department.

Pros

Excellent pay

Cons

Temporary on call when you start

Great people to work with but not for.

Work force is at its lowest and moral is terrible.Managers are not doing there jobs to help employers. Sorry but do not have anything good to say about my job there or Management.

Pros

pay check

Cons

Managers and Human Resourse

good place to work

Great hours,good wages and benefits co workers were good hardest part of the job was having to put animals down

Pros

good wages

Cons

putting animals down

Solid employer with training and advancement opps

Municipal employer with a variety of trucks and equipment. Flexable afternoon shift with a good benefit package. Great job security and a clean shop enviroment.

Pros

job security

Cons

garbage trucks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Kamloops. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement