City of Kamloops Employee Reviews

The City is a very good job. The pay and the pension and benefits is what I was looking for.
Real Estate Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC14 January 2019
Overall the City of Kamloops is a great place to work. The only thing that I would improve on is the training. The training here is way below average.
Pros
Pension and benefits
Cons
No training
Facility Operater
Facility Operator (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC26 September 2018
I worked for the City of Kamloops ice facilities as a operator or janitor in which is the appropriate term. Working the night shift at the rinks was a difficult task. Employees whom work before my shift were leaving close to 45 min before there shift was over. They expected myself to arrive 30 min early so they can leave. The place was a mess. Having to clean both rinks, plus edge the ice, remove all garbage, clean all offices by yourself. If you missed a spot on the floor the supervisor will make sure it's on the board for everyone to see that day. There was no effort from the previous shift to clean or help the night shift. This job was the worst job I have every had. City of kamloops is all family members giving and promoting there relatives to better positions. The benefits were great but the term "city workers " and the so called "passing the buck" is prevalent. Nobody does anything about it but complain to each other. It's a bad environment.
benefits
Cons
pass the buck mentality, family workers
Amazing place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC6 February 2018
Though it was a temporary summer position, I found the work climate to be supportive and engaging. We set our schedules for most days so it was nice to be autonomous in my work and really get to design my own work days.
Pros
Free cake whenever theres a birthday
Solid workplace
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC16 January 2018
Good local government organization in a nice city. Lack of advancement due to unionized environment and positions available. Many people work here for life. It's a government, so expect a bureaucratic work environment. Good wages and benefits.
Pros
Good salary/benefits
Cons
Bureaucratic
Terrible place to work. Management is incompetent and discriminatory
Worker (Former Employee) –  Kamloops28 September 2016
Daily routine consisted of being constantly discriminated from management, co-workers would work minimally and get praise from management. Management and supervisors were bias and showed obvious favoritism. Unless you try to suck up to your manager or supervisor, you will be treated unfairly and others who do will get preferential treatment. Human resources does not help it's workers and is the worst human resource department I've seen in all my years in the workforce. Do not work for this organization. It is poorly managed and they couldn't terminate a worker who didn't do his work. The worker ended up keeping his position and the City spent over $80K in the attempt to not even terminate him. STAY AWAY!
Pros
Cons
Poor Management.
Great employer
Equip Operator II (Current Employee) –  Kamloops12 September 2015
Great advancement opportunities, excellent moral, many great people to work with and for. Enjoying my employement with the Parks Department.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Temporary on call when you start
Great people to work with but not for.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC31 August 2015
Work force is at its lowest and moral is terrible.Managers are not doing there jobs to help employers.
Sorry but do not have anything good to say about my job there or Management.
Pros
pay check
Cons
Managers and Human Resourse
good place to work
By Law Subforeman (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC22 August 2014
Great hours,good wages and benefits co workers were good hardest part of the job was having to put animals down
Pros
good wages
Cons
putting animals down
Solid employer with training and advancement opps
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC8 December 2012
Municipal employer with a variety of trucks and equipment. Flexable afternoon shift with a good benefit package. Great job security and a clean shop enviroment.
Pros
job security
Cons
garbage trucks