City of Hamilton logo
City of Hamilton

City of Hamilton Employee Reviews

Great management and coworkers

Just got hired as a transit operator with the city of Hamilton, and from management, instructors, supervisors and coworkers this is the place to be. The instructors are some of the best if not the best that have trained myself and all others, and help you through all aspects of the job to ensure that you succeed in a long career with the city. The job itself can be difficult at times as you are always dealing with traffic all day and night, and some passengers can be unruly, but overall 95 percent of the passengers are amazing and just want to get to there destinations in a safe and timely manner. The days can be long and if you are new you won’t see weekends off for several years, so if you are thinking of applying and have a family you need to make sure you are okay with not having weekends off as this a unionized position and everything works on seniority. But in the end it is a fantastic career with the city and more than enough opportunity to advance into other positions.

Pros

Management/coworkers/pay/benefits and pension

Cons

Can be long hours and no weekends for several years do to seniority

You have some groups of full time employees always trying to get you fired or in trouble.

If you managed to get seasonal work is not too bad. After you “prove” yourself for a couple seasons and they are hiring full time. If you are hoping to get full time, pray that the person conducting your interview likes you or you won’t get the position, even if you’re qualified. Many upper management individuals are toxic, behave like children having tantrums all the time and believe that is okay. Said management treat workers like garbage. You do encounter some decent employees that will honestly try and help you. Good luck if you want to work for the city of Hamilton.

Pros

Set schedule

Cons

Some very toxic management

Great Working experience

A typical day can be stressful but you will be put to work and they teach you how to do a great job for what your doing. They really help you to learn and put trust in you.

fun workplace

Enjoyed the work environment - look forward to working with the City again. Was able to learn new skills; time managements skills, great people to work with

Unionized work environment that takes in to consideration staff needs

I worked for the city of Hamilton for ten years. There is lot of room for change and advancement for employees that have the drive to work hard. The employment area that I was a part of was challenging and fast paced. You have to be good with a team and communicative. I would definitely recommend working for the city of Hamilton in any position.

Would not recommend anyone seeking a long term career at this employer

VERY POLITICAL ORGANIZATION that treats employees poorly. Lack of trust and certainly a lack of respect for employees. Noticable change in culture after amalgamation and certainly not for the better.

Bad supervisor clawing her way up

Supervisor would not delegate work in case we did a better job than her. Which we usually did when we did have something to do. When continually asking for something to do she would say she’d let me know, then assignment a brainless assignment like put name tags on the keys for the vehicles (4).

temp assignment

temp assignment at various locations: Parking, Public Health / Vaccine, Facilities, Roads, Housing, Traffic / Transportation, Ontario Works, Child Care Subsity

Interesting and challenging IT project work

Delivered a 6-month contract with a focus on Continuous Service Improvement and Knowledge Management. It was interesting, challenging, collaborative project work with the Service Desk and Enterprise IT teams.

Fun work place with great management.

Fun workouts with fantastic participants and friendly staff. Staff are helpful and will do their best to get you what you need to do your job effectively.

Jobs at City of Hamilton

See more jobs

Fun and productive workplace

Everyone works as a team and tries to make sure no one is left out. Great work environment to grow and thrive in. Scheduling works out in favour of many.

Not accomodating

Not accommodating to individuals with disabilities. I was let go of the job because I needed accommodations that the City of Hamilton was reluctant to meet.

I love my job. Its a great place to work and being a firefighter is a very rewarding position. The City of Hamilton is a up and coming city and once again I love my job.

Excellent career

Can't beat the feeling of making a difference in a persons life. The department offers career promotion opportunities, stable fun work environment. Decent wage

Lots of Opportunity

Working as a summer employee allowed me to work in various areas across the city with a range of children and their parents. I had the opportunity to participate in weekly staff development and shared ideas with other staff members in the same position.

bbbbb

Okay place to work but not getting better lot of nepotism in the workplace from senior management on down. This can make it very difficult to work in these conditions

Pros

wage

Cons

not enough work/life balance

Loved my job.

I had the best job. I loved doing it. I retired after 32 years. The only thing was management. They were newer and seem to focus on the wrong things. Bottom line is if you can handle management then go for it.

Don't apply

Once something happens to you on the job, there's really nothing you can do about it. It seems like they have a liking towards family members of the management compared to anyone else.

Stressful, demanding, and cold

when first employed the environment was relaxed and fun as the years went by the offices became demanding and cold times changed staff attitudes changed and management became more unflexible

Pros

great pay great benefits great vacation

woke up 7 am to 3 pm found out what i needed to do, and left in a car and did the work. the job is amazing and i had a lot of fun working there! i would do it again

Lifeguard For City Of Hamilton

Great job for students. Very hard interview process. Great pay. However, very competitive work environment. Also, very important to stay current with you certifications.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Hamilton. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2