City of Hamilton

City of Hamilton Employee Reviews

Canada191 reviews
A typical day can be stressful but you will be put to work and they teach you how to do a great job for what your doing. They really help you to learn and put trust in you.
Enjoyed the work environment - look forward to working with the City again. Was able to learn new skills; time managements skills, great people to work with
I worked for the city of Hamilton for ten years. There is lot of room for change and advancement for employees that have the drive to work hard. The employment area that I was a part of was challenging and fast paced. You have to be good with a team and communicative. I would definitely recommend working for the city of Hamilton in any position.
VERY POLITICAL ORGANIZATION that treats employees poorly. Lack of trust and certainly a lack of respect for employees. Noticable change in culture after amalgamation and certainly not for the better.
Supervisor would not delegate work in case we did a better job than her. Which we usually did when we did have something to do. When continually asking for something to do she would say she’d let me know, then assignment a brainless assignment like put name tags on the keys for the vehicles (4).
Tasks assigned with very little instruction. If you try to figure things out for yourself, be prepared to get write ups. Major trust issues between staff and management. Most people work with their heads down and stay below the radar. If you're ambitious, a team player, think outside the box and want satisfaction at the end of the day, continue your search.
temp assignment at various locations: Parking, Public Health / Vaccine, Facilities, Roads, Housing, Traffic / Transportation, Ontario Works, Child Care Subsity
Delivered a 6-month contract with a focus on Continuous Service Improvement and Knowledge Management. It was interesting, challenging, collaborative project work with the Service Desk and Enterprise IT teams.
Fun workouts with fantastic participants and friendly staff.

Staff are helpful and will do their best to get you what you need to do your job effectively.
Everyone works as a team and tries to make sure no one is left out. Great work environment to grow and thrive in. Scheduling works out in favour of many.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at City of Hamilton?
Not accommodating to individuals with disabilities. I was let go of the job because I needed accommodations that the City of Hamilton was reluctant to meet.
I love my job. Its a great place to work and being a firefighter is a very rewarding position. The City of Hamilton is a up and coming city and once again I love my job.
Can't beat the feeling of making a difference in a persons life. The department offers career promotion opportunities, stable fun work environment. Decent wage
Working as a summer employee allowed me to work in various areas across the city with a range of children and their parents. I had the opportunity to participate in weekly staff development and shared ideas with other staff members in the same position.
Okay place to work but not getting better lot of nepotism in the workplace from senior management on down. This can make it very difficult to work in these conditions
Pros
wage
Cons
not enough work/life balance
I had the best job. I loved doing it. I retired after 32 years. The only thing was management. They were newer and seem to focus on the wrong things. Bottom line is if you can handle management then go for it.
Once something happens to you on the job, there's really nothing you can do about it. It seems like they have a liking towards family members of the management compared to anyone else.
when first employed the environment was relaxed and fun
as the years went by the offices became demanding and cold times changed staff attitudes changed and management became more unflexible
Pros
great pay great benefits great vacation
woke up 7 am to 3 pm found out what i needed to do, and left in a car and did the work. the job is amazing and i had a lot of fun working there! i would do it again
Great job for students. Very hard interview process. Great pay. However, very competitive work environment. Also, very important to stay current with you certifications.
Was bullied and harassed by new management after being at my centre for 10 years and having 6 days of work to just 1 day that was a 2.5 hour shift (contract so it’s allowed) the city will weasel their way out of any issue and make you the one at fault. Any lesson plans, dance routines etc belong to the city not you even tho you make them up. Oh and are now for anyone to take and use that has no idea how to teach. Terrible experience do not recommend at all.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Hamilton. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2