City of Hamilton Employee Reviews

Great learning environment, very political
Communications Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 July 2018
It was a great learning environment but it was very important to build relationships if you were to move up at all. Everything very personal and lots of people got there from someone they know. Good pay and benefits
Pros
Great benefits
Public Servant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 June 2018
The City of Hamilton is a good place to work. They continue to strive for improvement and empower their employees to succeed. The City of Hamilton provides good compensation and a healthy work environment.
Pros
Work environment
Best workplace I've been too
Parks Operator- General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 June 2018
I worked shift rotations, i learned alot while working with the city, it showed me hoe everyday work looks like, developed many different skills. there were great leadership, management is fantastic i was always taken seriously, i enjoyed working with my great co-workers and hardest part of the job was constantly trying to give the best customer service
Pros
Great Teamwork and alot of hard work appreciation
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 May 2018
Great learning environment, great team, good supports, some skills such as feeding tubes and peg feeds, medication administration and GPA use on most of the units
Pros
pay
Cons
no cons
Excellent place to work
School Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 May 2018
As a stay at home parent returning to the workforce I was nervous as to schedule and still being there for my children. Parking enforcement and by-law have made the transition easy and fun. Seeing happy children on their way to school every morning brings a sense of happiness.
Safe and friendly work environment
Tobacco Test Shopper (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 May 2018
I started as a high school student in this amazing City of Hamilton job program. It was a fairly vulnerable job, but staff were always there to make sure students were safe. Involved taking notes and paying attention to detail. Hardest part of the job was attending court to testify about actions. It is slightly intimidating as a student but a great experience especially for those interested in law and health. Best thing about this job was knowing that you were making a difference in the world, even as a young student.
Great work experience
PUBLIC WORKS SUMMER STUDENT (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 April 2018
would recommend to any student who is looking for a summer job, its guaranteed hours and great experience. You get to be outside and everyone treats you fairly
Traffic Safety Technologist Co-op (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, BM25 April 2018
• Managed arterial and local road closures, such as a closure of James Street North, to ensure that construction sites were confined to the appropriate areas and followed the prescribed regulations
• Managed heavy truck permits and approved heavy truck routes through Hamilton
• Further developed time management skills
Pros
-great pay -1hr lunches
Cons
-people don't really talk much
Day at the snack bar
Snack Bar Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 April 2018
A typical day at work included counting out the floats at the start of the shift, turning on all fryers and machines, serving customers, than depositing all earnings into a bank bag. i learned how to make proper change, make fries and supply customers with their needs. the hardest part of this job was working alone in this fast pace environment. the most enjoyable part was meeting new people and interacting with the public.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
worked alone
Every day is different, alwasys new and repeat issues. Makes for interesting job
Recreation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 April 2018
My day to day duties include dealing with patrons, general public on program inquiries, returning emails, scheduling, data entry and coordinating specials.
Pros
interesting, challenging
Cons
mostly complaints
There is a lot of turnover because they are disorganized.
Planner (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 March 2018
The management are short sighted and do not want to invest in long term growth and development of employees.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the support from co-workers.
A very social environment
Project Coordinator (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 February 2018
Great hours combined with paid lunch's, free city wide parking, transit friendly and with great pay and benefits. The socializing among certain groups of individuals may have been extraordinarily high, however, in the Engineering department professionalism always superseded.
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
only 37 hours per week with no overtime
The City of Hamilton was an overall great place to work. I enjoyed my years of working with Public Health.
ISCIS Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 February 2018
The City of Hamilton was a great place to work. There was a balance of Work and Social Activities which made it a pleasant place to work as well as encouraging productivity. The City of Hamilton was a professional and fair employer. The Management Team kept their employees informed and made themselves approachable to employee issues and concerns.

The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new work and working with the public. The work environment was constantly changing with new technology. We were involved in learning new data bases linking the City of Hamilton data bases with the Hospitals and the Ministry of Health.

The hardest part of the job was juggling different tasks while meeting deadlines, which was a challenge I adapted to. The workplace culture was pleasant and friendly and peers were willing to work together as a team and help each other.
Pros
Worked with great peers and had great Management support.
Cons
At times there were stressful situations.
Stable Work
student job (Former Employee) –  125 Barton Street West.16 January 2018
Working for the city is easy work, that anyone can do given that they are willing to listen and learn! Work is stable and typical of the public secor.
very interactive and always exciting
Skilled Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 December 2017
I enjoyed working in this placement because I got to meet and interact with different people each shift. I am a people person and had many great experiences.
Pros
interactive
Cons
not enough hours
Stressful Position
Social Service Worker I and II (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 December 2017
A highly stressful position dealing with hard to serve clients. Also responsible for assisting Social Service Workers I with file reviews. Gained valuable skills in working with challenging situations.
Best workplace ever
Receptionist - Recreation Department (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 September 2017
Love going to work every day.. couldn't imagine my life without my job. Hours are great balance for daily life - lots of chance to advance in the company. Lots of fun but also professional
Overall, a very desirable place to work
Labourer Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 August 2017
A typical day at work:
Interesting people and duties plus low keyed and no pressure.
What you learned:
How important "essential services" are.
Management:
Reasonable and helpful.
Workplace culture:
Simple. Get the job done.
Hardest part of the job:
Witnessing peoples grief up close. (cemetery)
The most enjoyable part of the job:
Knowing that we have done the best we can do.

Working for any Municipal Government is a job that many people desire, and after working for the city of Hamilton for thirty years it is understandable why this is so.
Pros
Exceptional Benefits, Exceptional Pension
Cons
Working at a cemetery needs to be done, but depressing
fun but exhausting for such low pay
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 August 2017
Very fun environment, good place to work if interested in working with children. I learned time management and organization skills as I had to do so while managing 12 children to my self. Very positive environment, great staff.
Pros
good staff
Cons
low salary
Productive and fun summer work for students
Summer Student General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 July 2017
A very satisfying job, that differs every day. Understanding supervisors and coworkers that makes the job fun and exciting. I would continue to work for the city of Hamilton if the opportunity arose

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Hamilton. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4