City of Hamilton Employee Reviews

fun place to work always different
FITNESS INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 January 2019
love working for the city you have the freedom of setting your own schedule
every 9 weeks I get time off to be with the family until the next session starts
Pros
free to choose my schedule
Bylaw Enforcement
Bylaw Officer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 November 2018
Working in an enforcement position with the City of Hamilton has enabled me to fully understand the policies and procedures in which property owners much comply by and has improved my conflict resolution skills.
Vollentering
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 November 2018
I was volunteering for my volunteer hours for school. I would love to do it again and I do recommend people to try to work as a LIT. It stands for Leader In Training.
Pros
Flexable work
Amazing job
Assist course and activity instructors (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 November 2018
Great work environment, amazing coworkers and great hours. The staff will always accommodate you if you need time off and the recreation centres are always a fun, safe place to be.
Skilled instructor / program planner
SKILLED INSTRUCTOR / PROGRAM MONITOR (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON15 October 2018
Loved working for the city of Hamilton. I hope to work for them again, the only issue I have is with job security most jobs are temporary with no chance of being kept on without going though the interview process again for 0-24 hours of work.
great experience
Facility Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 August 2018
worked for the city of hamilton and had a great expereince. everyone is very welcoming and great to work with. highly recommend to anybody looking for a good work environment
Great Pay, good flexibility, toxic work environment
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 July 2018
The pay is great and the job is very secure. Managment doesn't have a clue whats going on but they will pretend they do. If you mind your own business its a great place to work.
Great learning environment, very political
Communications Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 July 2018
It was a great learning environment but it was very important to build relationships if you were to move up at all. Everything very personal and lots of people got there from someone they know. Good pay and benefits
Pros
Great benefits
Public Servant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 June 2018
The City of Hamilton is a good place to work. They continue to strive for improvement and empower their employees to succeed. The City of Hamilton provides good compensation and a healthy work environment.
Pros
Work environment
Best workplace I've been too
Parks Operator- General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 June 2018
I worked shift rotations, i learned alot while working with the city, it showed me hoe everyday work looks like, developed many different skills. there were great leadership, management is fantastic i was always taken seriously, i enjoyed working with my great co-workers and hardest part of the job was constantly trying to give the best customer service
Pros
Great Teamwork and alot of hard work appreciation
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 May 2018
Great learning environment, great team, good supports, some skills such as feeding tubes and peg feeds, medication administration and GPA use on most of the units
Pros
pay
Cons
no cons
Excellent place to work
School Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 May 2018
As a stay at home parent returning to the workforce I was nervous as to schedule and still being there for my children. Parking enforcement and by-law have made the transition easy and fun. Seeing happy children on their way to school every morning brings a sense of happiness.
Safe and friendly work environment
Tobacco Test Shopper (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 May 2018
I started as a high school student in this amazing City of Hamilton job program. It was a fairly vulnerable job, but staff were always there to make sure students were safe. Involved taking notes and paying attention to detail. Hardest part of the job was attending court to testify about actions. It is slightly intimidating as a student but a great experience especially for those interested in law and health. Best thing about this job was knowing that you were making a difference in the world, even as a young student.
Great work experience
PUBLIC WORKS SUMMER STUDENT (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 April 2018
would recommend to any student who is looking for a summer job, its guaranteed hours and great experience. You get to be outside and everyone treats you fairly
Traffic Safety Technologist Co-op (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, BM25 April 2018
• Managed arterial and local road closures, such as a closure of James Street North, to ensure that construction sites were confined to the appropriate areas and followed the prescribed regulations
• Managed heavy truck permits and approved heavy truck routes through Hamilton
• Further developed time management skills
Pros
-great pay -1hr lunches
Cons
-people don't really talk much
Day at the snack bar
Snack Bar Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 April 2018
A typical day at work included counting out the floats at the start of the shift, turning on all fryers and machines, serving customers, than depositing all earnings into a bank bag. i learned how to make proper change, make fries and supply customers with their needs. the hardest part of this job was working alone in this fast pace environment. the most enjoyable part was meeting new people and interacting with the public.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
worked alone
Every day is different, alwasys new and repeat issues. Makes for interesting job
Recreation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 April 2018
My day to day duties include dealing with patrons, general public on program inquiries, returning emails, scheduling, data entry and coordinating specials.
Pros
interesting, challenging
Cons
mostly complaints
There is a lot of turnover because they are disorganized.
Planner (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 March 2018
The management are short sighted and do not want to invest in long term growth and development of employees.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the support from co-workers.
A very social environment
Project Coordinator (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 February 2018
Great hours combined with paid lunch's, free city wide parking, transit friendly and with great pay and benefits. The socializing among certain groups of individuals may have been extraordinarily high, however, in the Engineering department professionalism always superseded.
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
only 37 hours per week with no overtime
The City of Hamilton was an overall great place to work. I enjoyed my years of working with Public Health.
ISCIS Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 February 2018
The City of Hamilton was a great place to work. There was a balance of Work and Social Activities which made it a pleasant place to work as well as encouraging productivity. The City of Hamilton was a professional and fair employer. The Management Team kept their employees informed and made themselves approachable to employee issues and concerns.

The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new work and working with the public. The work environment was constantly changing with new technology. We were involved in learning new data bases linking the City of Hamilton data bases with the Hospitals and the Ministry of Health.

The hardest part of the job was juggling different tasks while meeting deadlines, which was a challenge I adapted to. The workplace culture was pleasant and friendly and peers were willing to work together as a team and help each other.
Pros
Worked with great peers and had great Management support.
Cons
At times there were stressful situations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Hamilton. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4