City of Hamilton Employee Reviews

Toxic work environment
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 March 2019
Unreasonable workloads and expectations.Minimal training and education opportunities. Very poor leadership , unethical behavior and lack of integrity.
Misuse of funds and tax dollars. Nepotism throughout and poor morale.Caregiver burn out working with the most vulnerable and very little support offered by management. Policies and procedures mostly disregarded. Sounds bitter, it is! So why keep going?
I know I can make a small difference in someone's life daily.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor phycosocial environment
Supportive environment
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 March 2019
Supportive environment with people who are helpful and qualified. Rules were always followed and it was easy to find help and support. There was a lot of stress involved and higher pay or more staff would have been helpful.
experience working for the city
Camp Counsellor, Recreation Division (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON3 March 2019
Working under the city provided me with a great experience to work with children in different settings. This job allowed me to get lots of experience with working with children and has taught me how to work and problem-solve in different situations.
It was a good summer job
Senior Leader in Training June 2016 (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 February 2019
It was a good summer job for me since it gave me the chance to get outside and learn how to respectfully deal with members of the public. The management and other co-workers were quite good at their jobs and everyone was really helpful and nice. The hardest part was probably being outside all day since sometimes it was really hot or rainy and I have a fear of bugs so I often had to act like it didn't bug me but I was crying on the inside and the most enjoyable was making connections to the kids that you would play with on a daily basis they all were super fun and cool to play with and when they were happy or laughing I was too.
cool place to work
Horticulture Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 February 2019
friendly people, very professional. everyone is very nice and fun to work with. Lots of long days if you're working in the sun all day or in the greenhouse
good to work here
Parks Maintenance Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 February 2019
god place to work with good salary and benefits now im just typing to fill in characters because indeed is making me d this review which i think is kind of ridiculous
Registered staff at Wentworth Lodge
RPN (Current Employee) –  Wentworth Lodge30 January 2019
Great group of colleagues but our management team is terrible.

Completely out-of-touch with real-world issues despite being informed of them in person and via email multiple times.

Management here will throw you under the bus to residents and their families.

Proceed with caution!!
Pros
pay, job security, colleagues
Cons
Leadership (lack thereof)
great experience
Inorganic Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 January 2019
very informative, good payment, great people, high work load, improvement opportunities, good chance to be hired as permanent, very competitive, strict
Recomend to all seeking Co-op
CONTRACT INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 January 2019
Great time extremely motivating atmosphere. You embrace the challenges as each one brings you closer to gaining valuable insights and solutions that had not been realized before
Pros
Trusted with responsibility
Cons
Trusted with responsibility ;)
Safe and friendly work environment
Web Developer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 January 2019
worked for the city of Hamilton and had a great experience. everyone is very welcoming and great to work with. highly recommend to anybody looking for a good work environment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
fun place to work always different
FITNESS INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 January 2019
love working for the city you have the freedom of setting your own schedule
every 9 weeks I get time off to be with the family until the next session starts
Pros
free to choose my schedule
Bylaw Enforcement
Bylaw Officer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 November 2018
Working in an enforcement position with the City of Hamilton has enabled me to fully understand the policies and procedures in which property owners much comply by and has improved my conflict resolution skills.
Vollentering
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 November 2018
I was volunteering for my volunteer hours for school. I would love to do it again and I do recommend people to try to work as a LIT. It stands for Leader In Training.
Pros
Flexable work
Amazing job
Assist course and activity instructors (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 November 2018
Great work environment, amazing coworkers and great hours. The staff will always accommodate you if you need time off and the recreation centres are always a fun, safe place to be.
Skilled instructor / program planner
SKILLED INSTRUCTOR / PROGRAM MONITOR (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON15 October 2018
Loved working for the city of Hamilton. I hope to work for them again, the only issue I have is with job security most jobs are temporary with no chance of being kept on without going though the interview process again for 0-24 hours of work.
great experience
Facility Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 August 2018
worked for the city of hamilton and had a great expereince. everyone is very welcoming and great to work with. highly recommend to anybody looking for a good work environment
Great Pay, good flexibility, toxic work environment
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 July 2018
The pay is great and the job is very secure. Managment doesn't have a clue whats going on but they will pretend they do. If you mind your own business its a great place to work.
Great learning environment, very political
Communications Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 July 2018
It was a great learning environment but it was very important to build relationships if you were to move up at all. Everything very personal and lots of people got there from someone they know. Good pay and benefits
Pros
Great benefits
Public Servant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 June 2018
The City of Hamilton is a good place to work. They continue to strive for improvement and empower their employees to succeed. The City of Hamilton provides good compensation and a healthy work environment.
Pros
Work environment
Best workplace I've been too
Parks Operator- General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 June 2018
I worked shift rotations, i learned alot while working with the city, it showed me hoe everyday work looks like, developed many different skills. there were great leadership, management is fantastic i was always taken seriously, i enjoyed working with my great co-workers and hardest part of the job was constantly trying to give the best customer service
Pros
Great Teamwork and alot of hard work appreciation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Hamilton. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4