CITY OF GUELPH Employee Reviews

great place to work and learned lots
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON31 January 2019
was a co-op student for four months after my first year, i helped with lots of layout for construction using trimble total station. overall it was a great place to work and i learned lots
Dedicated Staff - Issues with Senior Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 January 2019
The overall staff and commitment to customer service is high which is amazing because overall staff engagement is low. Salaries and work-life balance is good. Unfortunately, long term objectives for this organization keeps changing with Senior Management lacking consistency in direction and application of Corporate Strategy. Decision made are often based on political influence and hidden agendas and not on performance, facts or data analysis. Consistency would definitely make this a much better place to work.
Pros
Individual Staff, salary, work-life balance
Cons
Senior Management, decision making, consistent application of policies and strategy
Not good workplace
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 January 2019
Treated bad, horrible pay, fired for no reason. In fact they didn't even tell me and I had to call several supervisors to be let know that I was let go because i couldn't attend a shift, even though I found coverage.
Best environment I've worked in
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 November 2018
Really great culture at the City of Guelph. I really enjoyed my time there and would go back in an instant if the opportunity was right. No work from home, though.
Cons
Only short-term contract offered
Overall Good Job
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON17 October 2018
A typical day at work is done outside, at an intersection with a crosswalk. I wait for the walk signal, walk to the middle of the crosswalk, hold out my stop sign, stop traffic that are turning, and signal the children to cross safely. I then walk back to the sidewalk and repeat.
I learned that a lot of people don't like stopping for crossing guards. I learned that parents are appreciative of the care we provide.
Management didn't listen to my concerns as much as I would hope.
Hardest part of the job was when traffic would not obey and children or myself were put in danger.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the same children everyday and saying hello to them and having them recognize me.
Pros
Work alone.
Cons
Standing long hours.
An amazing place to work!
Deck Supervisor & Instructor Guard (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 October 2018
Working with the City of Guelph has many positive benefits. Specifically within the Aquatics department, the work-life balance is great, and staff are always kind and welcoming. Overall, it is a FUN place to work at!
Productive and enjoyable environment
Bylaw Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON24 September 2018
Structured work environment with minimum oversite.
Other officers always willing to help out, 'No Egos'
Management is helpful and respectful.
City Of Guelph is a Great place to work!
Fun environment
Swim Instructor and Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON10 July 2018
Worked with others my age, good community of parents and staff. Short and manageable shifts. Very good first job, some debate whether training required for the job is shown through the salary compared to other municipalities/ universities with the same job requirements.
5 years as a technologist
Technologist (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 July 2018
The culture from 2014 -2017 changed. Hard to get promoted within. Most people are miserable working there and a lot of people have left in the last few years. The hardest part of the job is trying to stay positive in a negative environment. The pay and benefits are great. Exit interviews are now done electronically. I am assuming they can't keep up with the turn around.
n/a
Cart Labourer- Contract (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 January 2018
I learned a fair bit when I was there and meet some nice people
I enjoyed getting out on the road out of the office
management was ok easy to deal with
can be dirty
no overtime
Pros
people
Cons
money
A place to learn
Administration (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 November 2017
There is great opportunity to learn at this organization. The benefits are great. The staff are wonderful. It is a great place to start your career journey.
Good job with good people
Market Square Attendant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 September 2017
Pretty laid back but had to make sure no children were injured. Learned how to drive a Zamboni and proper maintenance of heating units. Management was very good and made it easy to work for. Workplace was full of good people that helped you get better everyday. Hardest part was schedule flexibility during the summer since I also played baseball at that time. Most enjoyable part was driving the Zamboni.
Pros
Zamboni, good work flexibility
Fun and rewarding workplace
General Labourer - Team Lead(Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 August 2017
Hours run 7-3
Learned many ins and outs of the municipal water system
Good Management
Fun workplace culture
Accommodating
Adjusting to the job and hours of work was the hardest part
Stable and consistent pay was the most enjoyable part
Pros
Free coffee at staff meetings
Cons
N/a
The employers and colleagues were very friendly.
Co-op (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON22 July 2017
Each day I would need to wake up pretty early to get there on time, since it was a co-op for school I did not get paid. Since I was there to learn the guys there did teach me a lot and I had a lot of fun.
Fun place to work
Parks and Infrastructure (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 July 2017
Fun place to work, learned a lot of new skills such as maintenance of city facilities, restoration of public buildings, and more. Got to see many interesting and beautiful parts of the city.
Relaxed workplace where employees are empowered.
Traffic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 June 2017
Friendly environment good place to have a lengthy career. Salary and benifits are competitive with other Municipalities. Management style is not stressful.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Typical lifeguard job
Lifeguard/Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 May 2017
A typical day at work while working for the City of Guelph began by preparing the pool for swimmers and checking lesson plans followed by either a shift on deck guarding the pool, or teaching swimmers. I developed organizational skills, leadership, and responsibility.
A good team atmosphere!
Corporate Analyst - Property tax (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON4 April 2017
My time at the City of Guelph was very interesting and challenging. I enjoyed working with a team that strives to be the best that they could be. The interaction between colleagues was encouraging and rewarding.
Pros
Job security
Cons
limited flexibility
long work hours
Youth Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 January 2017
I can't be a good judge since only did a placement there. I liked the work culture since people in each department seem to support each other very well however all my supervisors spent most of the day at work, beyond the 9-5.
Poorly run oganization
Manager (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON26 October 2016
Your direction is at best conflicting, no support from those leading. Many people leave the organization or are shown the door, I would not do it again
Pros
good pay
Cons
be available always, walk on egg shells