City of Guelph, ON

City of Guelph, ON Employee Reviews

Good atmosphere and excellent program co-ordinator. All equipment and training is provided by the city. Excellent position for someone who likes to work independently.
after 20 years in municipal work it is time to find anew area. the city is a great job nothing more, you are never correct but also never wrong, if you saved a citizen you are not looked upon any different then the employee who called in sick.i can stay here and never worry. your day consists of arrive on time in uniform, start have coffee, drive have lunch leave and try not to create a headache for anyone above you.
Pros
paid weekly no matter what
Cons
paid weekly no matter what
The overall staff and commitment to customer service is high which is amazing because overall staff engagement is low. Salaries and work-life balance is good. Unfortunately, long term objectives for this organization keeps changing with Senior Management lacking consistency in direction and application of Corporate Strategy. Decision made are often based on political influence and hidden agendas and not on performance, facts or data analysis. Consistency would definitely make this a much better place to work.
Pros
Individual Staff, salary, work-life balance
Cons
Senior Management, decision making, consistent application of policies and strategy
Treated bad, horrible pay, fired for no reason. In fact they didn't even tell me and I had to call several supervisors to be let know that I was let go because i couldn't attend a shift, even though I found coverage.
Really great culture at the City of Guelph. I really enjoyed my time there and would go back in an instant if the opportunity was right. No work from home, though.
Cons
Only short-term contract offered
A typical day at work is done outside, at an intersection with a crosswalk. I wait for the walk signal, walk to the middle of the crosswalk, hold out my stop sign, stop traffic that are turning, and signal the children to cross safely. I then walk back to the sidewalk and repeat. I learned that a lot of people don't like stopping for crossing guards. I learned that parents are appreciative of the care we provide. Management didn't listen to my concerns as much as I would hope. Hardest part of the job was when traffic would not obey and children or myself were put in danger. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the same children everyday and saying hello to them and having them recognize me.
Pros
Work alone.
Cons
Standing long hours.
Working with the City of Guelph has many positive benefits. Specifically within the Aquatics department, the work-life balance is great, and staff are always kind and welcoming. Overall, it is a FUN place to work at!
Structured work environment with minimum oversite. Other officers always willing to help out, 'No Egos' Management is helpful and respectful. City Of Guelph is a Great place to work!
Worked with others my age, good community of parents and staff. Short and manageable shifts. Very good first job, some debate whether training required for the job is shown through the salary compared to other municipalities/ universities with the same job requirements.
The culture from 2014 -2017 changed. Hard to get promoted within. Most people are miserable working there and a lot of people have left in the last few years. The hardest part of the job is trying to stay positive in a negative environment. The pay and benefits are great. Exit interviews are now done electronically. I am assuming they can't keep up with the turn around.
I learned a fair bit when I was there and meet some nice people I enjoyed getting out on the road out of the office management was ok easy to deal with can be dirty no overtime
Pros
people
Cons
money
There is great opportunity to learn at this organization. The benefits are great. The staff are wonderful. It is a great place to start your career journey.
The city of Guelph is very inclusive and I enjoy working here. Coworkers often become friends and it is easy to work alongside people that you care about.
Pretty laid back but had to make sure no children were injured. Learned how to drive a Zamboni and proper maintenance of heating units. Management was very good and made it easy to work for. Workplace was full of good people that helped you get better everyday. Hardest part was schedule flexibility during the summer since I also played baseball at that time. Most enjoyable part was driving the Zamboni.
Pros
Zamboni, good work flexibility
Hours run 7-3 Learned many ins and outs of the municipal water system Good Management Fun workplace culture Accommodating Adjusting to the job and hours of work was the hardest part Stable and consistent pay was the most enjoyable part
Pros
Free coffee at staff meetings
Cons
N/a
Each day I would need to wake up pretty early to get there on time, since it was a co-op for school I did not get paid. Since I was there to learn the guys there did teach me a lot and I had a lot of fun.
Fun place to work, learned a lot of new skills such as maintenance of city facilities, restoration of public buildings, and more. Got to see many interesting and beautiful parts of the city.
Friendly environment good place to have a lengthy career. Salary and benifits are competitive with other Municipalities. Management style is not stressful.
Pros
Flexible work hours
A typical day at work while working for the City of Guelph began by preparing the pool for swimmers and checking lesson plans followed by either a shift on deck guarding the pool, or teaching swimmers. I developed organizational skills, leadership, and responsibility.
Hot dirty place to work, busy, running machines, checking parts cleaning parts inspecting parts , cleaning machines , using gauges and micrometers, height gauges for specs, checking prts for burrs.
Pros
good money
Cons
My time at the City of Guelph was very interesting and challenging. I enjoyed working with a team that strives to be the best that they could be. The interaction between colleagues was encouraging and rewarding.
Pros
Job security
Cons
limited flexibility
  1. Employee reviews