City of Guelph, ON

City of Guelph, ON Work-life balance reviews

Working at the City of Guelph has provided myself and others with great opportunities for growth and advancement in lifesaving and aquatics. They always emphasize team work, maintaining health and safety, and excellent customer service.
I thought i would be happy here but upper management is terrible. Employees do not matter to upper management yet they continue to be paid and recognized while front line employees who work hard every day are negatively affected.
It was a great job. Obviously seasonal. But you just went out cleaned what your sections were. Washed the machine everyday after use. Then go home usually before 1 or 2pm. Boss was great,very approachable, easy to talk to. If you made a mistake or broke the machine by accident, it was merely repaired before your next shift.
Love my job, safety is first in this workplace, very positive culture, promising pay rise according to annual performance, good benefits and secured job
The City of guelph is a great place to work. There are new projects always on the go with much room to grow. The environment is both fun and challenging.
I had the worst experience here - coworkers are toxic and they have made up gang against you. No training to be provided and no support system. Coworkers bully you to the extent that you end up in tears and they have no proper management and policies implemented.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Toxic coworkers
after 20 years in municipal work it is time to find anew area. the city is a great job nothing more, you are never correct but also never wrong, if you saved a citizen you are not looked upon any different then the employee who called in sick.i can stay here and never worry. your day consists of arrive on time in uniform, start have coffee, drive have lunch leave and try not to create a headache for anyone above you.
Pros
paid weekly no matter what
Cons
paid weekly no matter what
The overall staff and commitment to customer service is high which is amazing because overall staff engagement is low. Salaries and work-life balance is good. Unfortunately, long term objectives for this organization keeps changing with Senior Management lacking consistency in direction and application of Corporate Strategy. Decision made are often based on political influence and hidden agendas and not on performance, facts or data analysis. Consistency would definitely make this a much better place to work.
Pros
Individual Staff, salary, work-life balance
Cons
Senior Management, decision making, consistent application of policies and strategy
A typical day at work is done outside, at an intersection with a crosswalk. I wait for the walk signal, walk to the middle of the crosswalk, hold out my stop sign, stop traffic that are turning, and signal the children to cross safely. I then walk back to the sidewalk and repeat. I learned that a lot of people don't like stopping for crossing guards. I learned that parents are appreciative of the care we provide. Management didn't listen to my concerns as much as I would hope. Hardest part of the job was when traffic would not obey and children or myself were put in danger. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the same children everyday and saying hello to them and having them recognize me.
Pros
Work alone.
Cons
Standing long hours.
Working with the City of Guelph has many positive benefits. Specifically within the Aquatics department, the work-life balance is great, and staff are always kind and welcoming. Overall, it is a FUN place to work at!
The city of Guelph is very inclusive and I enjoy working here. Coworkers often become friends and it is easy to work alongside people that you care about.
Each day I would need to wake up pretty early to get there on time, since it was a co-op for school I did not get paid. Since I was there to learn the guys there did teach me a lot and I had a lot of fun.
Hot dirty place to work, busy, running machines, checking parts cleaning parts inspecting parts , cleaning machines , using gauges and micrometers, height gauges for specs, checking prts for burrs.
Pros
good money
Cons
My time at the City of Guelph was very interesting and challenging. I enjoyed working with a team that strives to be the best that they could be. The interaction between colleagues was encouraging and rewarding.
Pros
Job security
Cons
limited flexibility
Company has good benefits and holidays. There is always new positions available. Management is a little behind the times, but are making an effort to improve working conditions.
getting the option to move around with in the city to different places of work is a great thing, and being treated as a person and shown respect and encouragement to work to the best of my capabilities
Productive and a great place to work, just need more income. I really like the job, like being a team player. Love to have happy and satisfied customers.
Pros
do my shifts in 4 days
Cons
have to get up in the middle of the night to come to work
Such a great place to work as a Summer Student. The hours are perfect for still being able to do lots when you get off work. 7am-3pm is perfect! And the people are amazing! :)