City of Guelph, ON

Canada62 reviews

Clear
3.5Pay & benefits

citystafffunenjoyplacepeoplehourmanagement

Fast growing and vibrant city

I worked here as a City Bus Operator for 20 years. Like anywhere, there are issues. Overall I had a positive experience and loved my job. A variety of commities to be involved with if you choose.

Pros

Wages Benefits

productive environment, runs smoothly

I really enjoyed working for the city of Guelph. The hours were flexible and all of the co workers I encountered were great! Would recommend applying for the City!

Insights into City of Guelph, ON

Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Good work place

Love my job, safety is first in this workplace, very positive culture, promising pay rise according to annual performance, good benefits and secured job

municipal work

after 20 years in municipal work it is time to find anew area. the city is a great job nothing more, you are never correct but also never wrong, if you saved a citizen you are not looked upon any different then the employee who called in sick.i can stay here and never worry. your day consists of arrive on time in uniform, start have coffee, drive have lunch leave and try not to create a headache for anyone above you.

Pros

paid weekly no matter what

Cons

paid weekly no matter what

Dedicated Staff - Issues with Senior Management

The overall staff and commitment to customer service is high which is amazing because overall staff engagement is low. Salaries and work-life balance is good. Unfortunately, long term objectives for this organization keeps changing with Senior Management lacking consistency in direction and application of Corporate Strategy. Decision made are often based on political influence and hidden agendas and not on performance, facts or data analysis. Consistency would definitely make this a much better place to work.

Pros

Individual Staff, salary, work-life balance

Cons

Senior Management, decision making, consistent application of policies and strategy

An amazing place to work!

Working with the City of Guelph has many positive benefits. Specifically within the Aquatics department, the work-life balance is great, and staff are always kind and welcoming. Overall, it is a FUN place to work at!

Fun environment

Worked with others my age, good community of parents and staff. Short and manageable shifts. Very good first job, some debate whether training required for the job is shown through the salary compared to other municipalities/ universities with the same job requirements.

5 years as a technologist

The culture from 2014 -2017 changed. Hard to get promoted within. Most people are miserable working there and a lot of people have left in the last few years. The hardest part of the job is trying to stay positive in a negative environment. The pay and benefits are great. Exit interviews are now done electronically. I am assuming they can't keep up with the turn around.

A place to learn

There is great opportunity to learn at this organization. The benefits are great. The staff are wonderful. It is a great place to start your career journey.

Fun and rewarding workplace

Hours run 7-3 Learned many ins and outs of the municipal water system Good Management Fun workplace culture Accommodating Adjusting to the job and hours of work was the hardest part Stable and consistent pay was the most enjoyable part

Pros

Free coffee at staff meetings

Cons

N/a

Relaxed workplace where employees are empowered.

Friendly environment good place to have a lengthy career. Salary and benifits are competitive with other Municipalities. Management style is not stressful.

Pros

Flexible work hours

Good place to work but stressful at times with low pay.

I've worked with the City of Guelph in the Aquatics department for about 2.5 years now. I slowly made my way up the ladder, and it was very easy to do so and they provided many opportunities to do so. While I worked there, we had job trainings every 3/4 months testing our skills which was stressful at times because it felt as if we would lose our jobs if we did not do everything at pro level. The salary is not very high, and has risen every year but not at the same rate that minimum wage has risen. So we started with the lowest position being a least 30 cents higher per hour than minimum wage, and now the lowest position is at minimum wage level. This is frustrating as we have to maintain so many qualifications we have to pay to do. Loved the staff we worked with for the most part, very easy to get along with.

Pros

Free entrances to public swims and aquafit classes as well as the gym facility.

Cons

Low wages

Contract Work For City of Guelph

Very good for contract work. The management was flexible and worked well with my schedule as a student Actual employment was through taskforce staffing solutions, and they do a good job of placing people were they will be happy.

Good benefits

Company has good benefits and holidays. There is always new positions available. Management is a little behind the times, but are making an effort to improve working conditions.

Good job, but bad management

Good job, but very bad salary, very bad management. This is a place where Management are workaholics that get nothing done. Bad treatment of staff.

Pros

nice people to work with

Cons

very low pay, and bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Guelph, ON. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement