City of Guelph, ON

City of Guelph, ON Management reviews

Not a long term option unless you know people. The hourly staff are great, but the supervisors and management can be difficult to deal with and talk to.
Sort recycling, I learn we need to be better at reusing human recycling regardless of the cost, Management was not good! Managers to manage management, then hire more managersCulture was really niceHardest part of the job was dealing with all the process of the union and the companyThe best thing about the job was feeling like you are making a difference, but really you are *$&# against the wind!
Pros
Pizza day, BBQs
Cons
Smell, lack of respect from management
I have worked in many places both government and private sector. This was worst. Left after three months being on permanent full time job. If you are talented then don't waste your time here. Managers wants idiots who doesn't question or show their capabilities.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Extremely bad managers
You will be paid decently for working with Guelph, but that’s about the only benefit. It’s an old school hierarchy, where the only opinions that matter are those at the top. If you’re a new or contract employee, you can expect to be asked to pick up the slack from lazy permanent workers. Don’t voice your opinions or concerns, because honestly nobody cares. Bosses will lie and tell you positive things are coming, however they never do. It’s a decent place to work short term.(Seasonal employment) Advancement & opportunity within is all about who you’re friends with, and has very little to do with qualifications.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Environment, management, lack of benefits
I thought i would be happy here but upper management is terrible. Employees do not matter to upper management yet they continue to be paid and recognized while front line employees who work hard every day are negatively affected.
I had the worst experience here - coworkers are toxic and they have made up gang against you. No training to be provided and no support system. Coworkers bully you to the extent that you end up in tears and they have no proper management and policies implemented.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Toxic coworkers
Great place to work, nice people. Great for students in the summer! I really enjoyed my interactions with coworkers in similar titles to me. Management was always kind and reasonable.
Instructing is a great job. With the city of guelph? You can do a lot better. Pay is as low as you'll get, you might wind up showing up to shifts that have been de-scheduled without your knowing, and the facilities suck. Just speaking from personal experience, but I'd strongly recommend avoiding this workplace at all costs.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Poor pay, lack of communication
The overall staff and commitment to customer service is high which is amazing because overall staff engagement is low. Salaries and work-life balance is good. Unfortunately, long term objectives for this organization keeps changing with Senior Management lacking consistency in direction and application of Corporate Strategy. Decision made are often based on political influence and hidden agendas and not on performance, facts or data analysis. Consistency would definitely make this a much better place to work.
Pros
Individual Staff, salary, work-life balance
Cons
Senior Management, decision making, consistent application of policies and strategy
Treated bad, horrible pay, fired for no reason. In fact they didn't even tell me and I had to call several supervisors to be let know that I was let go because i couldn't attend a shift, even though I found coverage.
A typical day at work is done outside, at an intersection with a crosswalk. I wait for the walk signal, walk to the middle of the crosswalk, hold out my stop sign, stop traffic that are turning, and signal the children to cross safely. I then walk back to the sidewalk and repeat. I learned that a lot of people don't like stopping for crossing guards. I learned that parents are appreciative of the care we provide. Management didn't listen to my concerns as much as I would hope. Hardest part of the job was when traffic would not obey and children or myself were put in danger. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the same children everyday and saying hello to them and having them recognize me.
Pros
Work alone.
Cons
Standing long hours.
Structured work environment with minimum oversite. Other officers always willing to help out, 'No Egos' Management is helpful and respectful. City Of Guelph is a Great place to work!
I learned a fair bit when I was there and meet some nice people I enjoyed getting out on the road out of the office management was ok easy to deal with can be dirty no overtime
Pros
people
Cons
money
Pretty laid back but had to make sure no children were injured. Learned how to drive a Zamboni and proper maintenance of heating units. Management was very good and made it easy to work for. Workplace was full of good people that helped you get better everyday. Hardest part was schedule flexibility during the summer since I also played baseball at that time. Most enjoyable part was driving the Zamboni.
Pros
Zamboni, good work flexibility
Hours run 7-3 Learned many ins and outs of the municipal water system Good Management Fun workplace culture Accommodating Adjusting to the job and hours of work was the hardest part Stable and consistent pay was the most enjoyable part
Pros
Free coffee at staff meetings
Cons
N/a
Friendly environment good place to have a lengthy career. Salary and benifits are competitive with other Municipalities. Management style is not stressful.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Your direction is at best conflicting, no support from those leading. Many people leave the organization or are shown the door, I would not do it again
Pros
good pay
Cons
be available always, walk on egg shells
Typical day is not typical. I thrive on the changes and helps to work with the great team that I am apart of. Whether its a minor task or a major project - The City has provided me with the skills to accomplish it in a timely and safe fashion. They have my back, as I do theirs.
Pros
Management and co-workers, work environment
Cons
Always have to be on my game in the public eye
Very good for contract work. The management was flexible and worked well with my schedule as a student Actual employment was through taskforce staffing solutions, and they do a good job of placing people were they will be happy.
Made the job fun, and allowed us to use our creative sides when working with children. Allowed us to develop further skills in management and multitasking, while making sure we follow the guidelines.
Pros
works great with university
Cons
Not many hours
The City of Guelph is a fantastic place to work with very quality people and teamwork. Very valued organization led by a very capable senior management team.
Pros
Team work, capable leaders