City of Guelph, ON

City of Guelph, ON Job security & advancement reviews

Working at the City of Guelph has provided myself and others with great opportunities for growth and advancement in lifesaving and aquatics. They always emphasize team work, maintaining health and safety, and excellent customer service.
I have worked for the city of Guelph as a lifeguard for almost 2 years and have been more than satisfied with the job. All deck supervisors have been fantastic in supporting current as well as new staff. There is plenty of support when needed. I had the pleasure of having excellent co workers throughout my career with the City of Guelph.
Pros
Great pay, enjoyable job
Cons
Difficult to find coverage
I have worked in many places both government and private sector. This was worst. Left after three months being on permanent full time job. If you are talented then don't waste your time here. Managers wants idiots who doesn't question or show their capabilities.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Extremely bad managers
You will be paid decently for working with Guelph, but that’s about the only benefit. It’s an old school hierarchy, where the only opinions that matter are those at the top. If you’re a new or contract employee, you can expect to be asked to pick up the slack from lazy permanent workers. Don’t voice your opinions or concerns, because honestly nobody cares. Bosses will lie and tell you positive things are coming, however they never do. It’s a decent place to work short term.(Seasonal employment) Advancement & opportunity within is all about who you’re friends with, and has very little to do with qualifications.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Environment, management, lack of benefits
I enjoy working for the City for learned practical knowledge that I still apply to this day about recycle and practicing being a better steward of the environment.
Working here was fulfilling, enjoyable, fun and provided worthwhile experience. I loved my co workers, the work itself was very enjoyable and related to my career goals!
Love my job, safety is first in this workplace, very positive culture, promising pay rise according to annual performance, good benefits and secured job
The City of guelph is a great place to work. There are new projects always on the go with much room to grow. The environment is both fun and challenging.
was a co-op student for four months after my first year, i helped with lots of layout for construction using trimble total station. overall it was a great place to work and i learned lots
Treated bad, horrible pay, fired for no reason. In fact they didn't even tell me and I had to call several supervisors to be let know that I was let go because i couldn't attend a shift, even though I found coverage.
Really great culture at the City of Guelph. I really enjoyed my time there and would go back in an instant if the opportunity was right. No work from home, though.
Cons
Only short-term contract offered
Working with the City of Guelph has many positive benefits. Specifically within the Aquatics department, the work-life balance is great, and staff are always kind and welcoming. Overall, it is a FUN place to work at!
The culture from 2014 -2017 changed. Hard to get promoted within. Most people are miserable working there and a lot of people have left in the last few years. The hardest part of the job is trying to stay positive in a negative environment. The pay and benefits are great. Exit interviews are now done electronically. I am assuming they can't keep up with the turn around.
There is great opportunity to learn at this organization. The benefits are great. The staff are wonderful. It is a great place to start your career journey.
Friendly environment good place to have a lengthy career. Salary and benifits are competitive with other Municipalities. Management style is not stressful.
Pros
Flexible work hours
My time at the City of Guelph was very interesting and challenging. I enjoyed working with a team that strives to be the best that they could be. The interaction between colleagues was encouraging and rewarding.
Pros
Job security
Cons
limited flexibility
I can't be a good judge since only did a placement there. I liked the work culture since people in each department seem to support each other very well however all my supervisors spent most of the day at work, beyond the 9-5.
Very good for contract work. The management was flexible and worked well with my schedule as a student Actual employment was through taskforce staffing solutions, and they do a good job of placing people were they will be happy.
Made the job fun, and allowed us to use our creative sides when working with children. Allowed us to develop further skills in management and multitasking, while making sure we follow the guidelines.
Pros
works great with university
Cons
Not many hours
The city is a great place to work, a lot of great experiences can be had. Lots to learn if your eager. Great people to work with as well.