City of Guelph, ON

City of Guelph, ON Employee Reviews for Swim Instructor

Worked with others my age, good community of parents and staff. Short and manageable shifts. Very good first job, some debate whether training required for the job is shown through the salary compared to other municipalities/ universities with the same job requirements.
Instructing is a great job. With the city of guelph? You can do a lot better. Pay is as low as you'll get, you might wind up showing up to shifts that have been de-scheduled without your knowing, and the facilities suck. Just speaking from personal experience, but I'd strongly recommend avoiding this workplace at all costs.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Poor pay, lack of communication
A typical day at work while working for the City of Guelph began by preparing the pool for swimmers and checking lesson plans followed by either a shift on deck guarding the pool, or teaching swimmers. I developed organizational skills, leadership, and responsibility.
Very fun, active, fulfilling job! Always people around you who appreciate the work your doing! Good environment for children and has a very good purpose in helping children swim and stay safe! Learn things that will be helpful for the future!
I've worked with the City of Guelph in the Aquatics department for about 2.5 years now. I slowly made my way up the ladder, and it was very easy to do so and they provided many opportunities to do so. While I worked there, we had job trainings every 3/4 months testing our skills which was stressful at times because it felt as if we would lose our jobs if we did not do everything at pro level. The salary is not very high, and has risen every year but not at the same rate that minimum wage has risen. So we started with the lowest position being a least 30 cents higher per hour than minimum wage, and now the lowest position is at minimum wage level. This is frustrating as we have to maintain so many qualifications we have to pay to do. Loved the staff we worked with for the most part, very easy to get along with.
Pros
Free entrances to public swims and aquafit classes as well as the gym facility.
Cons
Low wages
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at City of Guelph, ON?