City of Guelph, ON
City of Guelph, ON Employee Review

Inclusive workplace

20 January 2021
Good atmosphere and excellent program co-ordinator. All equipment and training is provided by the city. Excellent position for someone who likes to work independently.
3.0Job security/advancement
17 October 2018
Same roleSame location
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) - Guelph, ON
A typical day at work is done outside, at an intersection with a crosswalk. I wait for the walk signal, walk to the middle of the crosswalk, hold out my stop sign, stop traffic that are turning, and signal the children to cross safely. I then walk back to the sidewalk and repeat. I learned that a lot of people don't like stopping for crossing guards. I learned that parents are appreciative of the care we provide. Management didn't listen to my concerns as much as I would hope. Hardest part of the job was when traffic would not obey and children or myself were put in danger. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the same children everyday and saying hello to them and having them recognize me.
Pros
Work alone.
Cons
Standing long hours.
11 May 2021
Same location
Lifeguard/Swim instructor (Current Employee) - Guelph, ON
I have worked for the city of Guelph as a lifeguard for almost 2 years and have been more than satisfied with the job. All deck supervisors have been fantastic in supporting current as well as new staff. There is plenty of support when needed. I had the pleasure of having excellent co workers throughout my career with the City of Guelph.
Pros
Great pay, enjoyable job
Cons
Difficult to find coverage
15 April 2021
Same location
Sorter (Former Employee) - Guelph, ON
Sort recycling, I learn we need to be better at reusing human recycling regardless of the cost, Management was not good! Managers to manage management, then hire more managersCulture was really niceHardest part of the job was dealing with all the process of the union and the companyThe best thing about the job was feeling like you are making a difference, but really you are *$&# against the wind!
Pros
Pizza day, BBQs
Cons
Smell, lack of respect from management