City of Guelph, ON
City of Guelph, ON Employee Review

Definitely a fun job

15 April 2021
Sort recycling, I learn we need to be better at reusing human recycling regardless of the cost, Management was not good! Managers to manage management, then hire more managersCulture was really niceHardest part of the job was dealing with all the process of the union and the companyThe best thing about the job was feeling like you are making a difference, but really you are *$&# against the wind!
1.0Job security/advancement
Pros
Pizza day, BBQs
Cons
Smell, lack of respect from management
27 November 2019
Same roleSame location
Sorter/Attendant (Former Employee) - Guelph, ON
I enjoy working for the City for learned practical knowledge that I still apply to this day about recycle and practicing being a better steward of the environment.
20 May 2021
Same location
Supervisor (Former Employee) - Guelph, ON
I was a Supervisor for the City and quickly found that the culture is terrible. I’ve worked for many different cities large and small in the GTA and this City is by far the worst in all aspects except the pay. Management is full of politics and abuse of staff. There is a clear divide between union employees and management so much so that you are pushed to break union agreement rules and threatened with discipline for not doing so. Tasks are not clearly outlined, dated practices and no attempt to change. Lastly hiring staff from other cities and assuming everything is done exactly the same from city to city. HR brushes off any complaints from staff. The City is clearly unorganized and not even close to a decent place to work. I would advise anyone looking to work here to stay away. If you work at city hall good luck finding parking you may have to walk 20 minutes just to get to the building. Everywhere else you can see clearly staff are miserable. If you’re looking for a job with no room to be anything other than a grunt, this is the place for you.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
11 May 2021
Same location
Lifeguard/Swim instructor (Current Employee) - Guelph, ON
I have worked for the city of Guelph as a lifeguard for almost 2 years and have been more than satisfied with the job. All deck supervisors have been fantastic in supporting current as well as new staff. There is plenty of support when needed. I had the pleasure of having excellent co workers throughout my career with the City of Guelph.
Pros
Great pay, enjoyable job
Cons
Difficult to find coverage