City of Guelph, ON
City of Guelph, ON Employee Review

An amazing place to work!

1 October 2018
Working with the City of Guelph has many positive benefits. Specifically within the Aquatics department, the work-life balance is great, and staff are always kind and welcoming. Overall, it is a FUN place to work at!
24 June 2020
Same roleSame location
Deck Supervisor & Instructor Guard (Former Employee) - Guelph, ON
Working at the City of Guelph has provided myself and others with great opportunities for growth and advancement in lifesaving and aquatics. They always emphasize team work, maintaining health and safety, and excellent customer service.
20 May 2021
Same location
Supervisor (Former Employee) - Guelph, ON
I was a Supervisor for the City and quickly found that the culture is terrible. I’ve worked for many different cities large and small in the GTA and this City is by far the worst in all aspects except the pay. Management is full of politics and abuse of staff. There is a clear divide between union employees and management so much so that you are pushed to break union agreement rules and threatened with discipline for not doing so. Tasks are not clearly outlined, dated practices and no attempt to change. Lastly hiring staff from other cities and assuming everything is done exactly the same from city to city. HR brushes off any complaints from staff. The City is clearly unorganized and not even close to a decent place to work. I would advise anyone looking to work here to stay away. If you work at city hall good luck finding parking you may have to walk 20 minutes just to get to the building. Everywhere else you can see clearly staff are miserable. If you’re looking for a job with no room to be anything other than a grunt, this is the place for you.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
11 May 2021
Same location
Lifeguard/Swim instructor (Current Employee) - Guelph, ON
I have worked for the city of Guelph as a lifeguard for almost 2 years and have been more than satisfied with the job. All deck supervisors have been fantastic in supporting current as well as new staff. There is plenty of support when needed. I had the pleasure of having excellent co workers throughout my career with the City of Guelph.
Pros
Great pay, enjoyable job
Cons
Difficult to find coverage