City of Guelph, ON Employee Reviews

Fun and energetic Community
YOUTH SKATING INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON5 May 2019
Working as a skating instructor, I enjoyed working the same shifts every-week as it allowed for myself to easily balance work, volunteering, and school. My colleagues were all university students which made the experience extra enjoyable. The children are always fun and seeing their progress on the ice makes you proud.
Pros
Enjoyable experience
Cons
minimal hours
Current employee in HR department
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 April 2019
I had the worst experience here - coworkers are toxic and they have made up gang against you. No training to be provided and no support system. Coworkers bully you to the extent that you end up in tears and they have no proper management and policies implemented.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Toxic coworkers
Might well be the worst job you could imagine
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON28 March 2019
Instructing is a great job. With the city of guelph? You can do a lot better. Pay is as low as you'll get, you might wind up showing up to shifts that have been de-scheduled without your knowing, and the facilities suck. Just speaking from personal experience, but I'd strongly recommend avoiding this workplace at all costs.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Poor pay, lack of communication
Efficient and entertaining workplace with multiple sporting activities
Rink Attendant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON25 February 2019
I enjoyed performing the daily tasks as the employees were very nice and fun to work with. The customers were very understanding and followed the rules of the facility, thus making our job much easier.
great place to work and learned lots
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON31 January 2019
was a co-op student for four months after my first year, i helped with lots of layout for construction using trimble total station. overall it was a great place to work and i learned lots
municipal work
Supervisor Wastewater Collection (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON22 January 2019
after 20 years in municipal work it is time to find anew area.
the city is a great job nothing more, you are never correct but also never wrong, if you saved a citizen you are not looked upon any different then the employee who called in sick.i can stay here and never worry. your day consists of arrive on time in uniform, start have coffee, drive have lunch leave and try not to create a headache for anyone above you.
Pros
paid weekly no matter what
Cons
paid weekly no matter what
Dedicated Staff - Issues with Senior Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 January 2019
The overall staff and commitment to customer service is high which is amazing because overall staff engagement is low. Salaries and work-life balance is good. Unfortunately, long term objectives for this organization keeps changing with Senior Management lacking consistency in direction and application of Corporate Strategy. Decision made are often based on political influence and hidden agendas and not on performance, facts or data analysis. Consistency would definitely make this a much better place to work.
Pros
Individual Staff, salary, work-life balance
Cons
Senior Management, decision making, consistent application of policies and strategy
Not good workplace
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 January 2019
Treated bad, horrible pay, fired for no reason. In fact they didn't even tell me and I had to call several supervisors to be let know that I was let go because i couldn't attend a shift, even though I found coverage.
Best environment I've worked in
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 November 2018
Really great culture at the City of Guelph. I really enjoyed my time there and would go back in an instant if the opportunity was right. No work from home, though.
Cons
Only short-term contract offered
Overall Good Job
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON17 October 2018
A typical day at work is done outside, at an intersection with a crosswalk. I wait for the walk signal, walk to the middle of the crosswalk, hold out my stop sign, stop traffic that are turning, and signal the children to cross safely. I then walk back to the sidewalk and repeat.
I learned that a lot of people don't like stopping for crossing guards. I learned that parents are appreciative of the care we provide.
Management didn't listen to my concerns as much as I would hope.
Hardest part of the job was when traffic would not obey and children or myself were put in danger.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the same children everyday and saying hello to them and having them recognize me.
Pros
Work alone.
Cons
Standing long hours.
An amazing place to work!
Deck Supervisor & Instructor Guard (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 October 2018
Working with the City of Guelph has many positive benefits. Specifically within the Aquatics department, the work-life balance is great, and staff are always kind and welcoming. Overall, it is a FUN place to work at!
Productive and enjoyable environment
Bylaw Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON24 September 2018
Structured work environment with minimum oversite.
Other officers always willing to help out, 'No Egos'
Management is helpful and respectful.
City Of Guelph is a Great place to work!
Fun environment
Swim Instructor and Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON10 July 2018
Worked with others my age, good community of parents and staff. Short and manageable shifts. Very good first job, some debate whether training required for the job is shown through the salary compared to other municipalities/ universities with the same job requirements.
5 years as a technologist
Technologist (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 July 2018
The culture from 2014 -2017 changed. Hard to get promoted within. Most people are miserable working there and a lot of people have left in the last few years. The hardest part of the job is trying to stay positive in a negative environment. The pay and benefits are great. Exit interviews are now done electronically. I am assuming they can't keep up with the turn around.
n/a
Cart Labourer- Contract (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 January 2018
I learned a fair bit when I was there and meet some nice people
I enjoyed getting out on the road out of the office
management was ok easy to deal with
can be dirty
no overtime
Pros
people
Cons
money
A place to learn
Administration (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 November 2017
There is great opportunity to learn at this organization. The benefits are great. The staff are wonderful. It is a great place to start your career journey.
I enjoy working for the City of Guelph
Sanitation Crew (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON29 September 2017
The city of Guelph is very inclusive and I enjoy working here. Coworkers often become friends and it is easy to work alongside people that you care about.
Good job with good people
Market Square Attendant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 September 2017
Pretty laid back but had to make sure no children were injured. Learned how to drive a Zamboni and proper maintenance of heating units. Management was very good and made it easy to work for. Workplace was full of good people that helped you get better everyday. Hardest part was schedule flexibility during the summer since I also played baseball at that time. Most enjoyable part was driving the Zamboni.
Pros
Zamboni, good work flexibility
Fun and rewarding workplace
General Labourer - Team Lead(Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 August 2017
Hours run 7-3
Learned many ins and outs of the municipal water system
Good Management
Fun workplace culture
Accommodating
Adjusting to the job and hours of work was the hardest part
Stable and consistent pay was the most enjoyable part
Pros
Free coffee at staff meetings
Cons
N/a
The employers and colleagues were very friendly.
Co-op (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON22 July 2017
Each day I would need to wake up pretty early to get there on time, since it was a co-op for school I did not get paid. Since I was there to learn the guys there did teach me a lot and I had a lot of fun.