City of Guelph, ON

City of Guelph, ON Employee Reviews

Good atmosphere and excellent program co-ordinator. All equipment and training is provided by the city. Excellent position for someone who likes to work independently.
Sort recycling, I learn we need to be better at reusing human recycling regardless of the cost, Management was not good! Managers to manage management, then hire more managersCulture was really niceHardest part of the job was dealing with all the process of the union and the companyThe best thing about the job was feeling like you are making a difference, but really you are *$&# against the wind!
Pros
Pizza day, BBQs
Cons
Smell, lack of respect from management
I have worked in many places both government and private sector. This was worst. Left after three months being on permanent full time job. If you are talented then don't waste your time here. Managers wants idiots who doesn't question or show their capabilities.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Extremely bad managers
You will be paid decently for working with Guelph, but that’s about the only benefit. It’s an old school hierarchy, where the only opinions that matter are those at the top. If you’re a new or contract employee, you can expect to be asked to pick up the slack from lazy permanent workers. Don’t voice your opinions or concerns, because honestly nobody cares. Bosses will lie and tell you positive things are coming, however they never do. It’s a decent place to work short term.(Seasonal employment) Advancement & opportunity within is all about who you’re friends with, and has very little to do with qualifications.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Environment, management, lack of benefits
Working at the City of Guelph has provided myself and others with great opportunities for growth and advancement in lifesaving and aquatics. They always emphasize team work, maintaining health and safety, and excellent customer service.
I thought i would be happy here but upper management is terrible. Employees do not matter to upper management yet they continue to be paid and recognized while front line employees who work hard every day are negatively affected.
It was a great job. Obviously seasonal. But you just went out cleaned what your sections were. Washed the machine everyday after use. Then go home usually before 1 or 2pm. Boss was great,very approachable, easy to talk to. If you made a mistake or broke the machine by accident, it was merely repaired before your next shift.
I enjoy working for the City for learned practical knowledge that I still apply to this day about recycle and practicing being a better steward of the environment.
I really enjoyed working for the city of Guelph. The hours were flexible and all of the co workers I encountered were great! Would recommend applying for the City!
Working here was fulfilling, enjoyable, fun and provided worthwhile experience. I loved my co workers, the work itself was very enjoyable and related to my career goals!
As long as you show up and do your work, this is an easy, relaxing place to work. The hours are fantastic! A typical day in sports fields (for me) was repairing and prepping the ball fields for the next games.
Not a long term option unless you know people. The hourly staff are great, but the supervisors and management can be difficult to deal with and talk to.
Love my job, safety is first in this workplace, very positive culture, promising pay rise according to annual performance, good benefits and secured job
The City of guelph is a great place to work. There are new projects always on the go with much room to grow. The environment is both fun and challenging.
Working as a skating instructor, I enjoyed working the same shifts every-week as it allowed for myself to easily balance work, volunteering, and school. My colleagues were all university students which made the experience extra enjoyable. The children are always fun and seeing their progress on the ice makes you proud.
Pros
Enjoyable experience
Cons
minimal hours
I had the worst experience here - coworkers are toxic and they have made up gang against you. No training to be provided and no support system. Coworkers bully you to the extent that you end up in tears and they have no proper management and policies implemented.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Toxic coworkers
Great place to work, nice people. Great for students in the summer! I really enjoyed my interactions with coworkers in similar titles to me. Management was always kind and reasonable.
Instructing is a great job. With the city of guelph? You can do a lot better. Pay is as low as you'll get, you might wind up showing up to shifts that have been de-scheduled without your knowing, and the facilities suck. Just speaking from personal experience, but I'd strongly recommend avoiding this workplace at all costs.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Poor pay, lack of communication
I enjoyed performing the daily tasks as the employees were very nice and fun to work with. The customers were very understanding and followed the rules of the facility, thus making our job much easier.
was a co-op student for four months after my first year, i helped with lots of layout for construction using trimble total station. overall it was a great place to work and i learned lots
after 20 years in municipal work it is time to find anew area. the city is a great job nothing more, you are never correct but also never wrong, if you saved a citizen you are not looked upon any different then the employee who called in sick.i can stay here and never worry. your day consists of arrive on time in uniform, start have coffee, drive have lunch leave and try not to create a headache for anyone above you.
Pros
paid weekly no matter what
Cons
paid weekly no matter what
  1. Employee reviews