City of Greater Sudbury

City of Greater Sudbury Management reviews

Canada68 reviews
Loved having some freedom working for the city. I was able to make executive decisions without a manager. My office was on wheels so I was never board.
Pros
freedom
Cons
shift work
The management and workplace were very welcoming, we worked as a group in order to take on tasks quicker. The regreening program consisted of planting trees around greater sudbury as well as transplanting vegitation in order to add biodiversity to sudbury. I also did water sampleing in the lakes around greater sudbury as well as checked for blue green algae blooms in the water.
Pros
working as a team, welcoming environment, fair hours
Typical for government, I suppose, but these people invented the Toxic Workplace. Dishonest management, back room dealing, back stabbing staff, culture of blame.
The interview was over the phone, payrate was competitive with other City's It was a challenging gardening environment that gave me experience and first hand learning. The Management were considerate and thoughtful. The level of coworker cooperation was good. Gardeners were at times working independently or together at a variety of jobsites covered by the Horticulture Dept. I feel if they had better quality starter annuals for their gardening needs it would have helped give them a better show in Northern Gardening. Because Gardeners have to apply for their job every year there's no guarantee of same employer.
Unorganized management unable to agree with each other or city council.
Many Career firefighters unable to adapt to the volunteer firefighters coexistence on calls. So much red tape to get anything done, this statement applies to a diverse range of areas and depts.
My years at the City have prepared me for more challenging roles. I've learned a lot of transferable skills in the various positions I've held and gained experience I can utilize in a range of administrative positions.
Pros
Not micro-managed - able to work independently
Cons
Training in some areas
-Management is very unorganized
-good salary and benefits
-very good work life balance

- not a very good job culture

-job security is limited unless you are in the union
This is really annoying. Why should I write a review of a company I no longer work for? Generally there is a reason you no longer work for a company. I am also not going to bad mouth them.
It is a great place to work for. they listen to your concerns and help you to overcome the problems that might occur in the work place. The management is great also.
Very poor management
No long term planning, no succession planning
They had no plan for my position and were unable to give direction at any time during my tenure.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at City of Greater Sudbury?
From the management to the lift attendance and everyone in between Adanac Ski Hill was and always will be a pleasurable place to work. Management is always willing to work around any time of schedule you may have outside of the ski hill. Very understanding people.
Pros
Discounts through out the ski hill like free tickets and 50% off rental equipment.
Cons
Wether its -20 or -30 you still have to stand at your post and keep an eye out.
Co workers were great to work with, however, the politics within the office were unbearable somedays. I am aware there will always be this issue in every work place but this went above and beyond.
This job being stationed at the waste water facility was quite interesting. Although another coworker and I got to travel a decent amount to cut grass at other stations (which was rather enjoyable hard work), sometimes we would have to clean and maintain extremely messy pump houses. Messy is an understatement which is why it was probably the hardest part of the job (keeping my lunch in my stomach). The management to be honest was very awkward although I was treated fairly being a student. At this job I learned there are many jobs that some would never dream of doing but someone still has to do them and they are sometimes the most important jobs.
Pros
Outdoor work
Cons
Dirty work
Loved the management and fellow employees. Work outdoors in a public setting. I loved the minimal management need to always supervise me. I got to work at my own pace and never felt pressured to work harder.
CGSEMS is a great place to begin your career as a paramedic. The people you work with are great, and the call volume is not too bad, though it can be very inconsistent. There have been ongoing issues with management which are in the process of changing. The service (as of 2017) is in need of ACPs, so getting a job and getting experience is fairly easy.
Fun place to work with lots of time spent outdoors. Managers and supervisors were very supportive. Loved that I had the chance to implement activities that had a positive effect on the kids attending the camp.
Pros
Open door policy with management
Cons
Fairly low salary
Very friendly environment. Great place to work. Co-workers are very helpful and friendly. Management is spectacular in the IT department. Post enjoyable part of the job is the trust that our manager puts in his employees.
Salary and benefits are good, but management is the worst i have ever seen... they constantly bully the staff and have different rules for employees n management. Always stressed working here.
Pros
benifits n pension
Cons
Management bullies there staff
I have been here approximately 2 years now... at first I wasn't sure I would be staying very long... Today I can't imagine working anywhere else!! I feel like my co-workers and management are my extended family. Even on a bad day going to work is uplifting!!
Seeing that this position is posted on the City's website CONTINUALLY throughout the year (watch for it!), should be a RED FLAG to anyone considering applying. Management in this department treats their employees with criticism and offers no team environment. You are not to ask anyone for help, they frown on that! You are left on your own to work 2 different positions at the same time! No one speaks to you, not even "Good Morning". Everyone keeps to themselves with no healthy, positive work environment. How does HR not see there is a problem here is beyond! Look at the turnover people!
Excellent workplace. You are able to broaden you customer service skills on a daily basis. Management and co workers are fun and easy to get along with.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Greater Sudbury. Our community is ready to answer.