City of Greater Sudbury

City of Greater Sudbury Employee Reviews

Canada72 reviews

Great coworkers, easy going management

Overall, great place to work. Very accommodating to schedule, management was appreciative, work was great. Being outside was certainly a pro. Independent work with crews.

Pros

Working outdoors

Cons

Student wage

Toxic

Worked with a great group if people during my time here. Unfortunately, management did not have a good relationship with staff and it was quite a toxic work environment. Very micromanaged, to the point where it seemed like management simply did not trust employees to do their job. On the job training was also minimal and inconsistent, often you would learn to do something, and then not do it for months and then be thrown on that task and be blamed if it was done incorrectly.

Nothing wrong with the work but the workplace was toxic

Job scope is reasonable but too many people had agenda's that were not in line with the citizens they are supposed to serve. Cover your butt mentality along with petty jealousies and long running grievances made for a miserable work environment.

Pros

Health and Safety culture was emphasized

Cons

As previously stated.

Very disorganized

They hired me for a work from home position and after issuing the offer letter they realized i dont live in Sudbury. They expected me to reach Sudbury, its a 10 hour commute 2 ways, spend money from my own pocket for the hotel stay and still no date set for training They are very disorganized and do not provide the correct information.

Pros

Good salary

Cons

Total chaos

Toxic workplace

Building Department is a very toxic workplace. Management and some staff are crpt and bullying and backstabbing are common place occurrences.Pay is very good. Most of the best inspectors have left this swamp and moved on to better things.Rear end kissing is rewarded.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Bullying, backstabbing, corruption

Loved the contact with the public and public interaction

I loved greeting the clients coming in for their appointments. The staff and team were wonderful to work with. Their smiles, genuine commitment to their work and caseloads is unsurpassed.

Pros

Cafeteria

Cons

Chaotic work days

On the go work environment

Loved having some freedom working for the city. I was able to make executive decisions without a manager. My office was on wheels so I was never board.

Pros

freedom

Cons

shift work

Excellent Employer

I've truly enjoyed my time with the City of Greater Sudbury. The only reason I am leaving is that my contract is up. It was a great work environment who offered a great job, flexibility, and good pay.

productive and welcoming workplace

The management and workplace were very welcoming, we worked as a group in order to take on tasks quicker. The regreening program consisted of planting trees around greater sudbury as well as transplanting vegitation in order to add biodiversity to sudbury. I also did water sampleing in the lakes around greater sudbury as well as checked for blue green algae blooms in the water.

Pros

working as a team, welcoming environment, fair hours

Toxic Work Environment

Typical for government, I suppose, but these people invented the Toxic Workplace. Dishonest management, back room dealing, back stabbing staff, culture of blame.

Stress free, rewarding work

Great exercise and get paid to forest bathe! Great supervisors, excellent remote experience really great age range and social group of employees. needs to be federally funded

Get what you pay for!

It's a good job due to the benefits, pension and holidays.. but pay is well below current market, so your wife better have a good job to make ends meet.

Would recommend anyone to work for this company the city

Very Good company to work for as well the top paying job for this line of work. Very supportive team work always there when your in crisis. I would highly recommend this company

They should have kept me.

The interview was over the phone, payrate was competitive with other City's It was a challenging gardening environment that gave me experience and first hand learning. The Management were considerate and thoughtful. The level of coworker cooperation was good. Gardeners were at times working independently or together at a variety of jobsites covered by the Horticulture Dept. I feel if they had better quality starter annuals for their gardening needs it would have helped give them a better show in Northern Gardening. Because Gardeners have to apply for their job every year there's no guarantee of same employer.

relaxed place to work

Wonderful program. Helped a lot of people. Would be better if transportation met same hours as agency offering a warm place to hang out. More can still be done.

Fire Dept

Unorganized management unable to agree with each other or city council. Many Career firefighters unable to adapt to the volunteer firefighters coexistence on calls. So much red tape to get anything done, this statement applies to a diverse range of areas and depts.

productive

the work that we did was very interesting land reclamation and it was super fun lot's of great people, all the staff there was amazing and i'd love to work there again!

Pros

great people and staff

Cons

long hours 10 hour days

Great place to work, great people !

My years at the City have prepared me for more challenging roles. I've learned a lot of transferable skills in the various positions I've held and gained experience I can utilize in a range of administrative positions.

Pros

Not micro-managed - able to work independently

Cons

Training in some areas

Love my job!!

Great career to get into. Friendly and informative instructor's for your CZ. On the bus training. Learn your routes and organize you time accordingly.

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, great coworkers (couldn't ask for any better!!)

Cons

Your circadian rythym well definitely go through some changes haha

Summer Job

This is good for high school students in grade 11s and above. Amazing Summer job for students. You get to enjoy the shifts and have children to play with.

Fun workplace, never the same

I worked for the City of Greater Sudbury as a Assistant Pool Operator , teaching swimming lessons and lifeguarding. Was an amazing positive work environment. I also worked as a Senior Playground supervisor, same great environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Greater Sudbury. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement