CITY OF GREATER SUDBURY Employee Reviews

anonymous (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON13 June 2018
I was challenged to do my best and encouraged to take initiative. My work was flexible with everyday being a little different. Working for the community allowed me to feel like I was making a real difference
Fun Workplace
Specialty Instructor (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON9 June 2018
I look forward to going to work as I enjoy my job and my clientele tremendously. I work unsupervised as a rule, developing, preparing and presenting my program of dance.
Pros
working part-time
Cons
there are no cons to my position
Poor management
Maintenance Associate (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON1 June 2018
-Management is very unorganized
-good salary and benefits
-very good work life balance
- not a very good job culture
-job security is limited unless you are in the union
Ugh
Volunteer Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON14 May 2018
This is really annoying. Why should I write a review of a company I no longer work for? Generally there is a reason you no longer work for a company. I am also not going to bad mouth them.
Good environment
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON7 April 2018
It is a great place to work for. they listen to your concerns and help you to overcome the problems that might occur in the work place. The management is great also.
Bad
Marketing Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON2 April 2018
Very poor management
No long term planning, no succession planning
They had no plan for my position and were unable to give direction at any time during my tenure.
Really enjoyed this job.
Building Attendant/ Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON13 December 2017
This employer was fantastic to work with. I was with them for almost 14 years. The staff and employer were very helpful and friendly. To this day if I see one of them on the street, they say hello.
Easy going and positive.
Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON11 December 2017
From the management to the lift attendance and everyone in between Adanac Ski Hill was and always will be a pleasurable place to work. Management is always willing to work around any time of schedule you may have outside of the ski hill. Very understanding people.
Pros
Discounts through out the ski hill like free tickets and 50% off rental equipment.
Cons
Wether its -20 or -30 you still have to stand at your post and keep an eye out.
Productive Workplace
Field Inspector (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON1 December 2017
A lot of knowledgeable people in the work place. Learned what a inspector does on daily dealing with contractors onsite. Fast pace work. Workplace is can be stressful.
Pros
Competitive Wages
Cons
Stressful
Many opportunities
Leisure Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, Ontario23 November 2017
The City of Greater Sudbury offers many opportunities for advancement but there is so much competition that it is difficult to get a permanent position with a great pay with the city.
Pros
Fun and flexible schedules
Cons
Hard to get full time or permanent
Good Atmosphere
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON24 October 2017
Co workers were great to work with, however, the politics within the office were unbearable somedays. I am aware there will always be this issue in every work place but this went above and beyond.
You need to be dedicated to this job.
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON17 September 2017
As a P/T driver you are on call steady and must be available for shift work, with usually close to full time hours, but there are slow periods during the year.

You must be dedicated to do this job, and you need to know the routes and deal effectively with a wide range of passengers.

Dealing with the passengers was a pleasure, as the people were very diverse, and I became more aware and respectful of cultures and customs.

Safety is of the utmost importance, not only to the passengers but the general public and other drivers while maintaining a timely schedule.
Pros
Dealing with the Public, Great hours, Pay and Benefits.
Cons
As a P/T operator you always need to be available for a call in.
Fulfilling job for no money
Volunteer Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON18 August 2017
Best job a person can do for their community. Salary is very small, but it is very fulfilling work, Great coworkers are like a second family to me. Recommend to anyone that is physically fit and that has a self sacrificing spirit.
Pros
Adreneline Rushes
Cons
Low Pay
great
Human Resources and Organizational Development (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON8 June 2017
I loved working and spending my time at Laurentian. The professional environment and my passion for research has made my time here enjoyable. Health and safety is a growing field that I would like to be a part of. The research in Health and Safety is very applicable and has a direct impact on people's lives and the quality of their work environment.
Good starting place
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON7 March 2017
CGSEMS is a great place to begin your career as a paramedic. The people you work with are great, and the call volume is not too bad, though it can be very inconsistent. There have been ongoing issues with management which are in the process of changing. The service (as of 2017) is in need of ACPs, so getting a job and getting experience is fairly easy.
Loved my coworkers
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON9 February 2017
HR promised protection and there was much wrong doings on their part.

Loved the hours and coworkers

Great hours

Great pay
Child care.
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  Hanmer, ON7 February 2017
What I enjoy about my current job is the watching children learn and grow, I didn't like that there is no stability so the children do what they want when they want. Working for child care has improved my social and organization skills.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not payed enough
government agency
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON1 August 2016
Good government agency with good benefits and salary. Good co-workers and a friendly place to work. City has potential to grow.
Friendly environment
Ticket Sales (Former Employee) –  Lively, ON17 May 2016
Great environment to work in and definitely gained such a great experience. My co workers were very friendly and easy to get along with. It is a decent job, not too difficult but still challenging at the same time to improve growth overall as a person and as an employee.
free exercise basically
Turf Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON13 March 2016
good job if you like physical work. people always tell you youre doing a great job cutting the grass. showers at the depot, and driving the company truck is pretty sweet. good hours too bad its seasonal
Pros
union
Cons
higher ups treat you badly