City of Greater Sudbury

City of Greater Sudbury Employee Reviews

Canada65 reviews
Excellent Employer
I've truly enjoyed my time with the City of Greater Sudbury. The only reason I am leaving is that my contract is up. It was a great work environment who offered a great job, flexibility, and good pay.
productive and welcoming workplace
The management and workplace were very welcoming, we worked as a group in order to take on tasks quicker. The regreening program consisted of planting trees around greater sudbury as well as transplanting vegitation in order to add biodiversity to sudbury. I also did water sampleing in the lakes around greater sudbury as well as checked for blue green algae blooms in the water.
Pros
working as a team, welcoming environment, fair hours
Toxic Work Environment
Typical for government, I suppose, but these people invented the Toxic Workplace. Dishonest management, back room dealing, back stabbing staff, culture of blame.
Stress free, rewarding work
Great exercise and get paid to forest bathe! Great supervisors, excellent remote experience really great age range and social group of employees. needs to be federally funded
Get what you pay for!
It's a good job due to the benefits, pension and holidays.. but pay is well below current market, so your wife better have a good job to make ends meet.
Would recommend anyone to work for this company the city
Very Good company to work for as well the top paying job for this line of work. Very supportive team work always there when your in crisis. I would highly recommend this company
They should have kept me.
The interview was over the phone, payrate was competitive with other City's It was a challenging gardening environment that gave me experience and first hand learning. The Management were considerate and thoughtful. The level of coworker cooperation was good. Gardeners were at times working independently or together at a variety of jobsites covered by the Horticulture Dept. I feel if they had better quality starter annuals for their gardening needs it would have helped give them a better show in Northern Gardening. Because Gardeners have to apply for their job every year there's no guarantee of same employer.
relaxed place to work
Wonderful program. Helped a lot of people. Would be better if transportation met same hours as agency offering a warm place to hang out. More can still be done.
Fire Dept
Unorganized management unable to agree with each other or city council.
Many Career firefighters unable to adapt to the volunteer firefighters coexistence on calls. So much red tape to get anything done, this statement applies to a diverse range of areas and depts.
productive
the work that we did was very interesting land reclamation and it was super fun lot's of great people, all the staff there was amazing and i'd love to work there again!
Pros
great people and staff
Cons
long hours 10 hour days
Great place to work, great people !
My years at the City have prepared me for more challenging roles. I've learned a lot of transferable skills in the various positions I've held and gained experience I can utilize in a range of administrative positions.
Pros
Not micro-managed - able to work independently
Cons
Training in some areas
Love my job!!
Great career to get into. Friendly and informative instructor's for your CZ. On the bus training. Learn your routes and organize you time accordingly.
Pros
Great pay, great benefits, great coworkers (couldn't ask for any better!!)
Cons
Your circadian rythym well definitely go through some changes haha
Summer Job
This is good for high school students in grade 11s and above. Amazing Summer job for students. You get to enjoy the shifts and have children to play with.
Fun workplace, never the same
I worked for the City of Greater Sudbury as a Assistant Pool Operator , teaching swimming lessons and lifeguarding. Was an amazing positive work environment.

I also worked as a Senior Playground supervisor, same great environment
Alright place to work
Was only there temporarily to fill in for regular file clerk but overall was a pretty good work environment and the people were very nice to work with.
informitive place to work
I worked for the city of Sudbury Ontario. I enjoyed working in the building service department, took many courses on building construction which led to my qualification as a building/plumbing inspector. very friendly place to work,.
Very nice
Always a fun time. In-service done once a week, so we start a little late. Many great people to work with and become friends with. Flexible schedules even for full-time workers.
Pros
Tan
Cons
Farmers tan
Stressful, A lot of unmentioned work
Is a good job to start off, can be stressful and taxing at times. Sometimes understaffed but typically resolved within a few hours. Good co-workers, high expectations limited training.
Life changing workplace
The regreening program is an increadible part of Sudbury's environmental growth. Your typical day includes working with a crew of over twenty people in various forested regions in the city of Greater Sudbury. Duties rotate between tree planting, liming and forest floor transplant.
A pleasant work environment
Great place to expand your historical knowledge, as well as gain computer and research skills. A typical day at work includes to digitally scan and upload archival documents (ledgers, photographs, minute books) and having to add an appropriate description related to the document. For documents that do not have proper information associated with the file, thourough research was needed.
great place to work
it is a fun place to work lots of people and nice to be outside and on the water all summer. If you have a good staff it makes for a great summer, and there is a lot of down time.
Pros
lots of breaks
Cons
in service is every Thursday morning at 8.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Greater Sudbury. Our community is ready to answer.