City of Grande Prairie logo
City of Grande Prairie

City of Grande Prairie Employee Reviews

Fun place to work

This is a great place to work. Lots of amazing people but a lot of work alone. As a temp you only get so many vacation days. This year especially with COVID has been interesting. Over all great employers and would recommend to anyone!

Hours were odd but i enjoyed it from 1am to 7am

I loved working for my boss he set me up in apt with person I would be working with so it was convenient. Fair wage and at my own pace.It was a quiet environment to work ,example 1am to 7am.Miy sleeping patterns improved with time as I we would have to sleep during the day. My partner was fun, outgoing, respectful and showed me the ropes.I cleaned at different locations so it was somewhat different everytime. Some places would be tidier than others on different days.Gives a person a bit of a break. Set my own hrs just all around good place to work for.

Pros

Set own hours

Cons

Had to sleep during the day, mixed up sleeping pattern, didnt get to socialize outside of work

Toxic

Excellent pay and benefits. Extremely poor management leaves employees feeling undervalued. Constant changes and cuts mean you are constantly fighting for your position

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Unstable

Not worth the politics

Such a great work life balance and great pay and benefits; but unfortunately too many politics and poor organizational structure, many people who power trip, and everything takes too many steps to actually get something done- all make for an unpleasant work environment. Not worth the pay for all the politics and corruption you see but can’t say anything about.

rewarding/ instant gratification in the work, relaxed non-judgemental coworkers

really enjoyed the days, went by fast, perfect summer job for a university student. Typical work day includes periods of work and rest, could be very physical in nature but sufficient breaks were always allotted. Most enjoyable part of the job was working outside, least enjoyable was waking up early.

Amazing workplace with good work/life balance

Great management and organization, workload is reasonable and well structured, communication and safety are core values that are exercised to great effect within the workplace. Highly recommended to anyone looking to work there

Very interesting and learned about the city and how assessments were completed. Great people to work with. I learned a lot and met a bunch of nice people.

Toxic environment

Senior mngt at the city from the cao down is disconnected from community, the organization, and staff. Misguided direction is frequent and thoughtless, it is an org that functions on who you know not what you know. If you challenge them you are gone with a reason of “restructuring”. Extreme stress in the organization, and driven by bottom line not community value, huge compromise. Bring back the old culture.

Extremely stressful

Constantly being told to do unethical things. Professional people are forced to get into other professions or be fired. Management is very unprofessional and disrespectful when dealing with staff and very incompetent in their position. Not a good place to work.

Culture is in the toilet here lately

Spent a long time working here, it started off well but in the last few years the decline is astounding. Management is being restructured and the fecal matter rolls downhill, so everyone is miserable. Fear culture seems to be the new norm, and infringing upon the rights of employees, removing perks and benefits and hiring/wage freezes. Watch out for certain management individuals who are just unreasonable.

Pros

Great benefits, great holidays, decent crews of in-union employees

Cons

Management is a mess, city council is too frugal for their own good these days.

Jobs at City of Grande Prairie

See more jobs

Unhealthy work culture

As the time I worked for the City of Grande Prairie, in my opinion, it was an unfriendly unsupportive work environment. I personally was not trained properly and then ridiculed when I made mistakes. At the time there were many complaints about management.

Pros

Regular hours

Cons

Hard environment to be successful in

very fun

A typical day at work within the city of Grande Prairie was no typical day. Every day had something new within it either it was the people or the events.

Groundskeeper

I enjoyed my seasonal job with the City Great workers and place to work. Lots of public interaction and the staff were great when I started welcoming me to the place.

Operator/Labour

Operate on machinery Assist whenever needed Management was great Everyone was team members Good benefits Good pay Great work environment Great shifts

A great organization to work for.

The City of Grande Prairie is a great place to work, with many opportunities and a variety of jobs available. The people are encouraging and great to work with, with a focus on building strong teams and working together for the people of Grande Prairie. The work is never really the same from day to day, which keeps you from getting bored. There are also many opportunities to gain new training and new skills. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I get to work with.

Alberta''s best work place 2013

Working with City of Grande Prairie was my best experience to date, where integrity, costumer care , life balance and fun all gathered in one work place.

Great Place

It was a good experience! The people I worked with were always attentive and this is very important to me, As I said previous, dealing with the general public is good

Pros

Good People

Cons

nil

Absolutely joy working for these companies

They always worked with your life schedule, whether that had to do with school, another job, or family. Working for the City of Grande Prairie was probably by far my favourite job. They were always energetic, and always there to help you. I generally worked 7am-3pm and that shift is probably the best.

I give the city 4 stars across the board

The City is a great place to work the people are easy to get along with. leadership is good . money is good . I have a temp. full time position . my hours are 7 am to 3 pm Sunday to Thursday .

Pros

caring people

Cons

work outside in winter

great

great union job it was a temp job but good benifits an great enviroment

Pros

good pay

Cons

worked alot of hrs