City of Grande Prairie

City of Grande Prairie Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews
Very interesting and learned about the city and how assessments were completed. Great people to work with. I learned a lot and met a bunch of nice people.
rewarding/ instant gratification in the work, relaxed non-judgemental coworkers
really enjoyed the days, went by fast, perfect summer job for a university student. Typical work day includes periods of work and rest, could be very physical in nature but sufficient breaks were always allotted. Most enjoyable part of the job was working outside, least enjoyable was waking up early.
Amazing workplace with good work/life balance
Great management and organization, workload is reasonable and well structured, communication and safety are core values that are exercised to great effect within the workplace. Highly recommended to anyone looking to work there
Toxic environment
Senior mngt at the city from the cao down is disconnected from community, the organization, and staff. Misguided direction is frequent and thoughtless, it is an org that functions on who you know not what you know. If you challenge them you are gone with a reason of “restructuring”. Extreme stress in the organization, and driven by bottom line not community value, huge compromise. Bring back the old culture.
Extremely stressful
Constantly being told to do unethical things. Professional people are forced to get into other professions or be fired.
Management is very unprofessional and disrespectful when dealing with staff and very incompetent in their position. Not a good place to work.
Culture is in the toilet here lately
Spent a long time working here, it started off well but in the last few years the decline is astounding. Management is being restructured and the fecal matter rolls downhill, so everyone is miserable. Fear culture seems to be the new norm, and infringing upon the rights of employees, removing perks and benefits and hiring/wage freezes. Watch out for certain management individuals who are just unreasonable.
Pros
Great benefits, great holidays, decent crews of in-union employees
Cons
Management is a mess, city council is too frugal for their own good these days.
Unhealthy work culture
As the time I worked for the City of Grande Prairie, in my opinion, it was an unfriendly unsupportive work environment.

I personally was not trained properly and then ridiculed when I made mistakes.

At the time there were many complaints about management.
Pros
Regular hours
Cons
Hard environment to be successful in
very fun
A typical day at work within the city of Grande Prairie was no typical day. Every day had something new within it either it was the people or the events.
Groundskeeper
I enjoyed my seasonal job with the City
Great workers and place to work. Lots of public interaction and the staff were great when I started welcoming me to the place.
Operator/Labour

Good benefits

Good pay

Great work environment

Great shifts
A great organization to work for.
The City of Grande Prairie is a great place to work, with many opportunities and a variety of jobs available. The people are encouraging and great to work with, with a focus on building strong teams and working together for the people of Grande Prairie. The work is never really the same from day to day, which keeps you from getting bored. There are also many opportunities to gain new training and new skills. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I get to work with.
Alberta''s best work place 2013
Working with City of Grande Prairie was my best experience to date, where integrity, costumer care , life balance and fun all gathered in one work place.
Great Place
It was a good experience! The people I worked with were always attentive and this is very important to me, As I said previous, dealing with the general public is good
Pros
Good People
Cons
nil
Absolutely joy working for these companies
They always worked with your life schedule, whether that had to do with school, another job, or family. Working for the City of Grande Prairie was probably by far my favourite job. They were always energetic, and always there to help you. I generally worked 7am-3pm and that shift is probably the best.
I give the city 4 stars across the board
The City is a great place to work the people are easy to get along with. leadership is good . money is good . I have a temp. full time position . my hours are 7 am to 3 pm Sunday to Thursday .
Pros
caring people
Cons
work outside in winter
great
great union job it was a temp job but good benifits an great enviroment
Pros
good pay
Cons
worked alot of hrs