City of Edmonton

Operator19 reviews
Canada19 reviews

Insights into City of Edmonton

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Good pay. Stressful job

Good pay. Good pension. I enjoy working for the city. There is really good job security. Dealing with people all day can sometimes be a drag. If you want to progress and move up there is opportunity for that

easy enjoyable job - if you ignore the rude managers

the managers try to catch you making a mistake vs supporting you - & there is no recognition of your accomplishments- a sick day is considered an 'incident'if you do take a medical leave and go on modified duties, they ignore your Dr.'s reccomendations for any limitations they punish you for being ill or injured

Pros

easy job especially if you are a people person & love to drive

Cons

poor support from operator control centre when medical or security incidents occur on the bus

Good pay tight schedules

The work is both challenging and rewarding. Managers are self serving and always looking to find faults. Training is very good leaving no doubts in your mind what is expected.

Pros

Good pay and co workers great training.

Cons

Dealing with ungrateful public

Pool table tennis library and quiet room to read

When I work for transit it was great,made many friends. It did get a little stressful near the end but I really enjoyed meeting people and driving many types of buses. Thank you !

Loved driving hated the split shifts

Great place to work.... I actually miss it. I didn’t think I could do split shifts for the next 10 years. Depending on seniority,(badge number) equates the shift you can sign. 🤷‍♂️

Very productive and fun filling days working people with disabilities

Meet new people most of the time during work days. Like talking to people Very overwhelming while talking to those people and their stories. And how they are happy to be alive. There is too much to learn how they cope with their daily activities

Pros

See new people and see the whole cioty driving

Cons

Work in cold weather conditions

If you want to be bullied, not be able to listened to or heard, this City is the place for you

The culture and management absolutely suck. Expect long work days, harassment and abuse by managers and supervisors. They will create and maintain fake social media profiles about you and use that against you if they can't find any other means to fire you. Then they get the Mayor involved to launch fake investigations on you.

Pros

End of shift

Cons

Everything else

political

political and management is discriminatory. for a city operation there is a lot of favoritism. work hard and under valued as employee. men rule woman work even harder.

Interesting work place

- Customer service - Patience - Conflicts resolution - Multitasking - Flexibility - Great work culture - Respect - Appreciation It`s a very enjoyable work place. Co-workers are very respectful.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Difficult customers sometimes

Productive place to work

Dealing with the public can good and bad depending on every bodies attitude. All in all its a pretty good place to work, the staff are easy to get along with.

Great place to work , cons ; ets inspectors think they're cops.

Great benefits, decent pay and awesome job securty. The ETS inspectors and the passengers drove me away from this job. I worked here for 5 years

Pros

Split shifts, great con workers

Cons

Great staff-management needs a lot of work

I worked for DATS for about 6 months. The job itself was great. Hard work, challenging, rewarding. Received several client commendations on my work. There was a lot of bullying, harassment and racism at the scheduling/operations level however. Supervisory staff were incompetent and arrogant. Management blindly followed supervisory staffs lead. I was assaulted by a client on video and called the police after defending myself. I was completely cleared of ANY wrongdoing by the Edmonton Police Service. However, I was told by Senior management (before police or DATS had completed their investigation) that it would have never happened if I had acted appropriately (victim blaming) and my probationary period was extended. Senior management also encouraged me to look at other employment options within the City of Edmonton at this time. This resulted in complete loss of trust and faith in the management and a downward spiral in my work and all aspects of my life. Supervisors who now had decided to micromanage my work (because I refused to meet with them without union representation after earlier harassment) made my job much more difficult. Eventually my stress and the pressure I was under to perform caused me to make poor decisions such as getting a photo radar ticket in an empty bus late at night in my now extended probationary period. I was let go. If I wasn't in extended probation I would have gotten a one day suspension and had to pay the fine. As many DATS operators have had to do. Everyone makes mistakes. My mistake was thinking that the Union I was a part of could do anything -

Moving general public from point A to point B

Good work place benefits could be better, good equipment and fair security, General public on a bus can be a problem, but you have to be patient with them. Good job for someone who likes to drive and deal with the general public.

Pros

pick your own shift

Cons

Incredible workplace with great people to work with and for.

One of the finest places I've ever worked. My work day typically involved a split shift where I was responsible for the transportation of 1 to 80 persons at a time. I worked alone but was never alone. My co-workers were positive people and were VERY supportive. The hardest part of the job was the bouncing involved while driving. It's the reason I had to go on LTD. The most enjoyable part of the job was the comradeship between all the drivers.

Pros

Pay and benefits were great.

Cons

Driving in poor weather and road conditions.

Dingy and dark workplace.

Over all employees were great but at the time management wasn't so great. Enjoyed working with the City

The City of Edmonton is a great employer to work for

I am very happy with how the city treats its workers. Management is great. Great group of co-workers. The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the public.

Pros

Friendly environment

Fun place if you love to drive but not for everyone

This is a fun position where you meet new and interesting people. The wage is great, but the deductions are high. A good career for the right person

Excellent

Excellent workplace. Enjoy the people. Hardest part of the job is maintaining the equipment.

Productive workplace with good employee relationships

Very busy environment during the days, not so busy during the nights. It is a good environment for building employee relationships, most employees get along very well. Everyone is encouraged to do work when there is work to be done, and for the most part everyone contributes.

Pros

good work environment

Cons

shift work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Edmonton. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement