City of Edmonton

Laborer43 reviews
Canada43 reviews

Insights into City of Edmonton

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Workplace was always safe

I worked hard and enjoyed my co workers.We got to know all about each other and why the city needs to employ more people to keep our roads and parks safe and clean

Wasn't bad

10 hour days 4 days a week wasn't bad, just some of my co workers were lazy or thought they were managers because they were older. You pay into a union with No benefits or pension or job security and you pay into a charity that is non negotiable but the pay was pretty good

Pros

Pay was good

Cons

Co workers were lazy and rude

A poorly managed downward spiral

If you’re worried about the city of Edmonton wasting your tax dollars at every turn you are right to worry. The bureaucracy is unparalleled and the laziness and incompetence deeply rooted.

Pros

Wages

Toxic work atmosphere

Major toxic management problems. Their code of conduct doesn't outline how to discipline the managers. The Formal Complaint procedure is the way but the union doesn't tell you that and the City keeps the Guidelines hidden.

Pros

Wages

Cons

If your looking for full-time don't. You'll never get in parks.

Working for the city sucks they don't care about you. They don't know how to take care of their budget he said they did we'd be working right now and you're in 2020 not being laid off are you planning on being in parks and trying to get full-time don't bother you'll never get it .you don't get benefits for being provisional and it's only summertime 6 months of the year the only thing good

Pros

Wage

Cons

City sucks for giving benefits to the people that have been with them for 20 year s a provisional

Productive and relaxed

a typical day at work was very relaxed no pressure at all to do get tasks done. the supervisors were all very nice and my coworkers were awesome and just a great work environment

Fun place to work

The city was a fun place to work with the diversity of there hiring. Job was easy and decent paced. Most jobs like I had were full time temporary though. Management was easy to get along with.

Great Group of People to work with

I Enjoyed the job that i have done. The variety of different jobs you get to do within the job is nice. The management are great. It is sad that work ethic does not have much value in whether you get to stay employed and whether you get laid off. I am sad that there is no job security here.

Great teamates made it ok

The work was not complicated and our lead trusted us to get our assigned work done so no micro-management. The interviewer did lie and say there were benefits for us contract workers which was totally false which made took the shine of the ok pay. Don't expect more than 5 to 6 months of work even if the posting and interviewer says more. Don't believe for a second that the City cares about you or that you're going above an beyond. Seems like most positions are now Temporary Up To 39 hours so they can cut hours, pay and benefits. Morale is garbage.

as a tax payer im shocked

it sad just how much tax payer money is wasted with the way the city hires for certain positions.ive built roads my whole life and i was put in turf. i can run any piece of equiptment and they put a weed wacker in my hands.

Low demand on performance, low pressure, easy pace of work.

Supervisor and crew in my yard were fantastic. Great Moral and attitudes. Very much enjoyed working with them all. I encourage young people to apply as it takes a while to move up.

Great place to work. Sorta.

COE is a great place to work IF you're placed in the right department. Most of the staff are friendly and nice BUT if you're easily offended be prepared for some mild bullying. The pay could be better but it will be if you land a permanent job. Overall one of the better jobs I have had and WAY better than EPCOR who just lie to you and use you.

Great for summer students

Finish work at 3. Friendly and fun employees. BBQ provided in the summers. Foremans are great, respectful and acknowledge hard working labourers. Over time is nice, as its double-time

Pros

Fun, friendly and double overtime

Greta temporary job

An amazing job for students in the summer. Only last till September. Not very hard work and get to plant flowers and take care of them. Some gross parts when cleaning parks/litter up.

day in the city

was always a very easy going place to work at. Pay was very good for a student who needed to save money during the summer months and couldn't work in the winter.

Dont waste your time on temp work!

Worse place to work. To much politics an favoritism. Supervisors are idiots and disrespectful also dont care about there employees! Dont waste time there unless you wanna be fired afer 11 months contract. Stay away

Pros

None!

Cons

Everything!

Very mismanaged, and cliquey corporation with

The City has a lot of perks, don’t get me wrong. Such as good pay for easy work, good crews, appreciation brunches and dinners, etc. But at the same time, there are lots of negatives. They do not hire permanent employees often so I know people who have been with the city 10yrs and have no benefits or job security. It is very cliquey - one of the upper hiring managers told me TO MY FACE that they only rehire if the person got along with their crew, was punctual and adhered to all policies. One of the policies is that temporary workers (which most of us are) only get 2 sick days per 11 month period and if you go over that you are no longer considered a “recommended rehire” and you are bumped to “conditional rehire”. Managers and team leaders play favorites, and if you aren’t one of them you are pretty much doomed if you hoped your career would lie within the city. They don’t care about work ethic, just if you suck up to management.

Pros

Good pay, easy work

Cons

Extremely cliquey, unfair management

Great Summer Student Job

A great job for students over the summer. There is absolutely potential for individuals to move be promoted if they choose to stay on after they graduate.

Its terrible

-Misogynistic Culture of fear, humiliation and harassment fostered by and supported by upper management.-Confusion and poor planning-Nepotism and cronyism is the norm.-Management treats temporary workers like pawns, whose schedules, place of work, and job descriptions can be changed without asking or any notification-Temporary labourers are often given less than one day for notification of layoff -The culture of gossip is extremely toxic. Especially amongst management. Both Direct and upper management-Gives very little; almost no training on how to do the actual job you were hired for

Pros

Co workers

Cons

just about everything

I found working for the City was a great experience, working out side meeting new people the hours are great, wages were good, I look forward to returning next year

If you like labour, you can do it I guess

The job itself was never the issue, it was always the management. They're pretty sticky about regulations, and often, because of their monolithic policy, penalize unfairly for what would be a nonissue in most other places.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Edmonton. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement