City of Edmonton
Happiness score is 63 out of 100

City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

Fair place to work

There are problems there but they are trying to resolve them.Where I worked, my coworkers were excellent, my internal clients were respectful, and the leadership was generally competent and acknowledged my expertise.

Terrible management.

Everyone is concerned about how they look to their superior. Quality of work comes second. Nepotism is a huge problem at the city of Edmonton. Hours are horribly scheduled. They give you just enough so that you do not get shift differential. Probably why everyone quit.

Pros

Do whatever you want

Cons

Work till 3 am most nights and they won't even give you 40 hrs a week which is why I quit.

Management heavy

Management is not respectful of the employees despite preaching how the City is a respectful workplace. They are backward thinkers, management heavy and are going backwards regarding work life balance. It's like working in the 1970's.

Pros

Salary is good

Cons

Hours about to increase, earned days off about to be removed and too many managers

A poorly managed downward spiral

If you’re worried about the city of Edmonton wasting your tax dollars at every turn you are right to worry. The bureaucracy is unparalleled and the laziness and incompetence deeply rooted.

Pros

Wages

Going down hill

The city is moving to 40 hour w/week with no EDO program eff Jan 2022. They tout themselves as an equal work life balance employer. I guess no more. It was a great program and really helped those with young and extended families and those with medical needs. Although you have job security there is little to no advancement if your not liked through the grapevine. Believe me managers talk. They say there is growth but nothing happens in certain areas. A lot of processes are changed without employee input and it's frustrating to fix things and find work arounds. Department hiring has to be approved by the ELT (Executive leadership team) and they are more worried about their bonus than hiring. Overtime is expected but not paid or rewarded. It's an attaboy reward. Most people skip breaks and work past in order to keep things afloat. When the hours change, and the EDO program is removed. It will be a a horrible place. And many of those unhappy now will leave. It will go from an okay place to an awful place to work.

Pros

Current work hours and EDO program

Cons

40 hour work week starting Jan 2022, End of EDO program, management too busy to care

Not a bad place to work for.Team effort.

Enjoyed my job as well as the people. Being a senior employee it was gratifying to pass on my knowledge and experience to the younger person that will be filling my boots as I am moving on. Will miss you.All the power to ya! Your friend +Ex-coworker. MIC.

Supportive Workplace

As a recreation technician you most likely will be sent to a site to work by yourself. If you're into team work and used to collaborating this can be a difficult shift but you have weekly meetings with the your coworkers and visits from your supervisor so I got used to it. I loved working for the city. My job made me feel like i was making a difference

easy enjoyable job - if you ignore the rude managers

the managers try to catch you making a mistake vs supporting you - & there is no recognition of your accomplishments- a sick day is considered an 'incident'if you do take a medical leave and go on modified duties, they ignore your Dr.'s reccomendations for any limitations they punish you for being ill or injured

Pros

easy job especially if you are a people person & love to drive

Cons

poor support from operator control centre when medical or security incidents occur on the bus

Good pay tight schedules

The work is both challenging and rewarding. Managers are self serving and always looking to find faults. Training is very good leaving no doubts in your mind what is expected.

Pros

Good pay and co workers great training.

Cons

Dealing with ungrateful public

workplace became a toxic place with new management

Was a great place to work before new vision. Now is filled with fake idealistic under achieving liberal communist values. Employees are now paranoid and only care about themselves.

Pros

pay and benefits

Cons

Poor Treatment of employees from management and supervisors.

Fast paced. Stressful.

My review doesn’t reflect other departments or the entire organization. Where I worked, at 311, the management was very supportive but the job itself was really stressful. The pay and benefits were good, most of your co-workers are helpful.

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Stressful

Awesome teaching swim lessons here!

A typical day at work here was fun, informative and always welcoming. My supervisor was always quick to respond and always had positive advice to give. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the kids and my coworkers. Overall, I would highly recommend.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Limited hours.

Professional and productive work place

I enjoyed working with the city of Edmonton because they were clear with the scope of work needed to complete the job task at hand. They had to tools to do so and communicated and thought in house how to use the tools and systems needed to do the job. They were passionate on how to excel and a team and company

Pros

Communication and fun

Cons

Didn’t give enough challenge

old boys club replaced with clique of narcissistic ladder climbers

Insiders in the new club get all preferred positions, regardless of education or experience. Micro managers and those only interested in personal advancement are the norm. Over politicized relationships with councilors defiescommon sense and the requirements of the Municipal Government Act. Things are a real mess.

Pros

Wages are comparable

Cons

no appreciation of anyone's experience, education or common sense. Just want blind support.

has a great gym and has an view to the public

I had an ok time while working with the city, the staff had me cracking up a few laughs here and there but in the facility there were a lot of gossiping happing. The managers and the higher ups were always talking behind our backs not just me but a lot of the other staff there, I never once there felt a sense of security while working with the staff mainly because of the major gossiping happing its not just in my facility but many others. I thought I would put my point of view on this thank you for your time much love from niche gang(this is a joke am not in a gang don't @ me please)

Pros

the pay was fair and the job was fairley simple

Cons

not many hours and the gossipng has to to stop, honestly if I kept the job I would have become even more depressed

Average Government Job

Typical scenario with any government unionized job.Part time with min hours, great benefits and supportsManagment are trying but still clueless, supervisor are too busy protecting their jobs to monitoring performance.

Benefits

Cons

Low hours and long seniority list

Productive and diverse workplace

Diversity is the name of the game at COE. Everybody understand well the Respect Concept between colleagues and clients.Technology tools are very good and open for improvement.

Pros

Work environment, Respect Diversity.

Cons

Creative spirit need to improve

dont do it

worked there 13 years and cant go into details but yah definitely a toxic environment with cliques who stick together above less experienced employees

Pros

good training, experience

Cons

long hours, unfair OT distribution, among serval much more serious issues i cant get into

Toxic work atmosphere

Major toxic management problems. Their code of conduct doesn't outline how to discipline the managers. The Formal Complaint procedure is the way but the union doesn't tell you that and the City keeps the Guidelines hidden.

Pros

Wages

Cons

great atmosphere and great company to work for

I really enjoyed working here. The supervisors are accomodating, super nice and supportive. Stress free and a fun workplace to be working with people of diverse nationality.

Pros

enough time for breaks

Cons

contractual only

Benefits eat up alot of your paycheck

Management says one thing and does not always follow through with what was said during the hiring process. Shift work goes by seniority and the day shifts always get chosen by the ones that have been there for a long time. The Nightshift is left for the new workers with less seniority and will take a long time to get get a good shift.

Pros

Some co workers are great

Cons

Some co workers take advantage of being in the union and are lazy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Edmonton. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement