City of Edmonton
Happiness score is 67 out of 100

City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

The work is both challenging and rewarding. Managers are self serving and always looking to find faults. Training is very good leaving no doubts in your mind what is expected.
Pros
Good pay and co workers great training.
Cons
Dealing with ungrateful public
Enjoyed my job as well as the people. Being a senior employee it was gratifying to pass on my knowledge and experience to the younger person that will be filling my boots as I am moving on. Will miss you.All the power to ya! Your friend +Ex-coworker. MIC.
As a recreation technician you most likely will be sent to a site to work by yourself. If you're into team work and used to collaborating this can be a difficult shift but you have weekly meetings with the your coworkers and visits from your supervisor so I got used to it. I loved working for the city. My job made me feel like i was making a difference
the managers try to catch you making a mistake vs supporting you - & there is no recognition of your accomplishments- a sick day is considered an 'incident'if you do take a medical leave and go on modified duties, they ignore your Dr.'s reccomendations for any limitations they punish you for being ill or injured
Pros
easy job especially if you are a people person & love to drive
Cons
poor support from operator control centre when medical or security incidents occur on the bus
Was a great place to work before new vision. Now is filled with fake idealistic under achieving liberal communist values. Employees are now paranoid and only care about themselves.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
Poor Treatment of employees from management and supervisors.
My review doesn’t reflect other departments or the entire organization. Where I worked, at 311, the management was very supportive but the job itself was really stressful. The pay and benefits were good, most of your co-workers are helpful.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Stressful
A typical day at work here was fun, informative and always welcoming. My supervisor was always quick to respond and always had positive advice to give. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the kids and my coworkers. Overall, I would highly recommend.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Limited hours.
I enjoyed working with the city of Edmonton because they were clear with the scope of work needed to complete the job task at hand. They had to tools to do so and communicated and thought in house how to use the tools and systems needed to do the job. They were passionate on how to excel and a team and company
Pros
Communication and fun
Cons
Didn’t give enough challenge
Insiders in the new club get all preferred positions, regardless of education or experience. Micro managers and those only interested in personal advancement are the norm. Over politicized relationships with councilors defiescommon sense and the requirements of the Municipal Government Act. Things are a real mess.
Pros
Wages are comparable
Cons
no appreciation of anyone's experience, education or common sense. Just want blind support.
I had an ok time while working with the city, the staff had me cracking up a few laughs here and there but in the facility there were a lot of gossiping happing. The managers and the higher ups were always talking behind our backs not just me but a lot of the other staff there, I never once there felt a sense of security while working with the staff mainly because of the major gossiping happing its not just in my facility but many others. I thought I would put my point of view on this thank you for your time much love from niche gang(this is a joke am not in a gang don't @ me please)
Pros
the pay was fair and the job was fairley simple
Cons
not many hours and the gossipng has to to stop, honestly if I kept the job I would have become even more depressed
Typical scenario with any government unionized job.Part time with min hours, great benefits and supportsManagment are trying but still clueless, supervisor are too busy protecting their jobs to monitoring performance.
Benefits
Cons
Low hours and long seniority list
Diversity is the name of the game at COE. Everybody understand well the Respect Concept between colleagues and clients.Technology tools are very good and open for improvement.
Pros
Work environment, Respect Diversity.
Cons
Creative spirit need to improve
worked there 13 years and cant go into details but yah definitely a toxic environment with cliques who stick together above less experienced employees
Pros
good training, experience
Cons
long hours, unfair OT distribution, among serval much more serious issues i cant get into
Major toxic management problems. Their code of conduct doesn't outline how to discipline the managers. The Formal Complaint procedure is the way but the union doesn't tell you that and the City keeps the Guidelines hidden.
Pros
Wages
Cons
I really enjoyed working here. The supervisors are accomodating, super nice and supportive. Stress free and a fun workplace to be working with people of diverse nationality.
Pros
enough time for breaks
Cons
contractual only
Management says one thing and does not always follow through with what was said during the hiring process. Shift work goes by seniority and the day shifts always get chosen by the ones that have been there for a long time. The Nightshift is left for the new workers with less seniority and will take a long time to get get a good shift.
Pros
Some co workers are great
Cons
Some co workers take advantage of being in the union and are lazy.
You will hurry and wait and only do the minimum work for the day. No moving up you are a button pusher thats it. No incentive. The people are rats and are toxic as covid. If you enjoy highschool you will love this place
Pros
Money
Cons
The people
A typical day was extremely stressful and very fast paced The hardest part of the job was maneuvering through rush hour traffic and trying to stay on schedule with all the factors involved (traffic, scheduling, distance, clients, etc) The most enjoyable was at the end of every day, I knew I had done well for those that couldn’t help themselves.
Pros
Happy clients, self gratification
Cons
10 hour shift with no breaks, extremely stressful and unhealthy
They are a fantastic career opportunity if you get into the posting you want. They have great benefits and job security in certain areas and try their best to accommodate when possible. But they have questionable people higher up than they should and underqualified over educated people in positions of power that dont understand how to do their job well.
Pros
Steady, secure work, good benefits
Cons
Questionable management and inconsistant treatment
Working for the city sucks they don't care about you. They don't know how to take care of their budget he said they did we'd be working right now and you're in 2020 not being laid off are you planning on being in parks and trying to get full-time don't bother you'll never get it .you don't get benefits for being provisional and it's only summertime 6 months of the year the only thing good
Pros
Wage
Cons
City sucks for giving benefits to the people that have been with them for 20 year s a provisional
This was only a 4 week schooling CDI College prerequisite in completing my APA. The Supervisor was very nice to me and was very helpful in giving me advice on how to enter the job market at the City of Edmonton.
  1. Employee reviews