City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

fast paced, variety of work
CPIC Operator – Edmonton Police Service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 November 2017
Everyday in CPIC is different. It is a fast paced, busy, multitasking requiring job that keeps your mind occupied.

CPIC runs on teams and each team has their own ways of doing things and completing tasks but each team is like a mini work family and generally get along with each other. Some teams also do team building activities outside of work, which has been a lot of fun.

Management I do not find it be very good, in my opinion there is lots of favoring and bullying.

Hardest part of the job is the shiftwork and 12 hour shifts, they are long and draining, however the work and being a vital part of the policing in Edmonton is a huge benefit!!.
Fun Learning experience
Business Analyst (Summer Student) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 November 2017
Working for the City was a very rewarding and fun experience. As a summer student you are tasked with multiple responsibilities and are expected to adequately follow through on every one. Excellent job experience and fun people. 10/10 recommend
Fun, energetic work place. had a gym at the base.
Refuse Collector and Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 November 2017
Working as a refuse collector for the city of Edmonton was A job different from any other. The amount of energy needed for this job was amazing! I enjoyed the workout every day. Teamwork at this job was crucial or the day turns out hard. The hardest part of this job is working overtime and fewer breaks. After throwing 40,000 lbs garbage gets tiring.
Pros
Good Workout
Cons
Easy to be injured
political
Conventional Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB2 November 2017
political and management is discriminatory. for a city operation there is a lot of favoritism. work hard and under valued as employee. men rule woman work even harder.
Election
Election - Assistant Presiding Deputy (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 November 2017
Was employed only for the election and enjoyed working it and meeting new people. It was very well organized and would definitely work it again. City of Edmonton is a company I would really enjoy working with.
Productive and great place to work
Business Assessment Word/Data Processing Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2017
Busy work environment. I learned to deal with all types of people.
Supervisors were great.
Learning to deal with difficult people
Excellent co-workers.
Pros
Great benefits, over all great place to work
Cons
Management could be more involved.
Easy to move up
Members Experiences Liaison - Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2017
The culture behind the job is fine, the city promotes safe work. Management can be very unorganized and patrons can get abusive, which is the hardest part of the job. The city does pay way better than anyone else in the industry.
Great Work Environment
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 October 2017
very friendly and accommodating staff that perform fantastic on the job training. As a supply chain major, I learned a lot about the warehousing/logistics industry.
Fun Place to work with
Recreational Facility Attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 October 2017
Flexible hours, supervisors are understanding and great support from the team.

There is equality in the workplace, lots of learning and training to maximize your customer service .
Amazing benefits but not enough work
LRT Safety Student (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 September 2017
The City of Edmonton provides amazing benefits and salary but doesn't have much work for its student employees. It can be difficult to find enough work to get through the day at times depending on who your supervisor is
easy going laid back co workers.
Vegitation Management (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 September 2017
A very laid back and easy job to do. I personally did not enjoy working there at all. The work in itself was not bad, the people i worked with were not good at all. There is so much drama and behind the back secrets, it felt like i was in high school again. I think they need to fix how they do their hiring and fix upper managements decisions. a lot of times we were wondering why we were doing something when there is either more important things to do or a better way of doing it.

ex. we were picking/cutting and spraying herbicide on already dead weeds that have already seeded out for the next season.-- to do so is absolutely pointless, we should be preparing residual herbicide to kill weeds before they germinate next year!
Cons
only 8 hour days with no overtime
great place to work
MUNICIPAL WASTE INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 September 2017
if you work hard and honest, people will notice. although the union spoils the atmosphere with feeding the workers egos it is a fun place to work and if you are related to someone in the city of Edmonton you have a way better chance of working there.
Pros
you can sit around for 45 minutes and get paid for it at the end of your shift
Cons
good
Employee Service Center Representative (Payroll) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2017
good work balance
better benefits
nice people to work with.
very accessible
relax environment
learning a lot of things
room for growth
very transparent
Fun place to work and everyone is kind
Member Experiences Liaison - Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2017
I just started but everyone is very nice and accommodating. They support your decisions made on the job and there are lots of opportunities to ask questions
Not Applicable
Team Captain (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2017
There really isn't much I can add here as the title this is under does not quite match what it should. None the less the City would be a fun place to work I'm sure.
hard working days
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2017
The work load for the city of Edmonton, is a hard a tough day on the mind and body. What I have learnt from working from the city is, how I can better cooperate with everyone in the work environment, and how I can become a better leader in a work place environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is being about to enjoy the wonderfuk weather or being able to work with a group with people. The hardest part of the job is going to be the long laboring work you have to do.
Pros
you get to drive brand new cars
Cons
cons the long hour shifts
Waste Bin Coordinator Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 August 2017
Good place to work if you are looking for a stable job, people are come and go. Work life balance is good as well. Lots get togethers every once in a while
Was interresting
Data Entry Clerk/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 August 2017
I was only a temp so I can not provide much on how things would have been if I had been there longer.
It was a nice place to work, and I made a lot of nice friends.
Pros
nice people
Cons
low pay
The Best Place to work, best job and career path.
Data Entry Clerk (Financial & Corporate Services) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 July 2017
I worked for the City of Edmonton in 2016 and I can say it was the best experience ever. Not only is everyone so easy going but the training and education they provide and ongoing learned made it even better. Getting every second friday off or every second monday made my family balance manageable. Everyone was easily approachable and there is so much room for advancement. If you are able to get on with the city stay with them.
Pros
Awesome Wages, Free Classes
Cons
Parking Downtown is expensive
Lots of Safety
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 July 2017
Great place to work. Low key and laid back. Be prepared to do a lot of paper work just to use the washroom. They have a very documented system. Welcome to municipal work!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Edmonton. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location