City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

fun place to work
temporary employee from May - November (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 September 2018
I get to communicate with the public. I get to work with my partner and the same location each year. I enjoy my co-workers. I get to work all the concerts that are held at the Stadium
Pros
Concerts, Grey Cup when held in Edmonton
Cons
Weather as I work outside
unfulfilling career
Edmonton (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2018
when I worked for this employer, I worked there for 12 years - I was overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated. The management was horrible, and I was pigeon-holed into a position regardless of all the hard work that I did. I will never encourage anyone to work for the City of Edmonton
Pros
Career stability
Cons
bad, rotating management, underappreciated
pretty standard
Outdoor Pool Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2018
Some bosses are great, some aren't
Some coworkers are great, some aren't
Pay is good, hours are good, union is great
Would return and work with them again
great work atmosphere where everyone is equally respected
Horticulturist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 August 2018
I had the opportunity of working with friendly employees in a great and fun working atmosphere. I felt mutual respect among co-workers as well as upper management.
It was good for being young
Flyer Delivery (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 August 2018
Only job I could have at the time so i think it was good i really dont know why i have to do this review so yeah i really hope i can work at the REC room
horrible
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 August 2018
bunch of thieves stealing tax money sitting playing cards when there is work to be done and snow to be plowed. the only way they will leave a card game is to go get take out and smoke weed.
If you want to be bullied, not be able to listened to or heard, this City is the place for you
Former Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton17 August 2018
The culture and management absolutely suck. Expect long work days, harassment and abuse by managers and supervisors. They will create and maintain fake social media profiles about you and use that against you if they can't find any other means to fire you. Then they get the Mayor involved to launch fake investigations on you.
Pros
End of shift
Cons
Everything else
A great company to work for with lots of room for advancement
Building Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 August 2018
At the start of every day, we communicate through Google Hangout and we let everyone know where are we going, where we are, jobs that's outstanding, jobs completed, safety issues yada yada. Working here, I learned to appreciate more and value my coworkers as they are really helpful in times I need them and even if I don't, they still offer their help. We look after each other that what makes it a great team to be in it. A management that cares for the well being of their subordinates is number one in my book. Jobs hard but it get easier when everybody tries to pitch in to help. The part that I enjoy the most is my supervisor is always there to help, listen, appreciate, joke around and just a down-to-earth person who's really selfless no matter who he's dealing with.
Pros
Great team and work environment
Cons
Can't think of anything yet
Unprofessional work place
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 July 2018
There was minimal support from Supervisors, they expected a lot for very little pay. Management never took ownership of their mistakes just threw their staff under the bus.
It was the most disorganized place I ever worked
A good summer job
Horticulture Crew / Waterer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 July 2018
The management is very helpful and kind and understanding. Things are a bit of a mess but that it due to changes from higher up the ladder

I basically come in in the evenings and on weekends, grab a truck, a water plants alone. it is nice to work alone, and also a bit lonely at times. My manager always says she is available if i need help or have questions.

I have learned how to drive a big truck! pretty exciting.
Horrible Culture for Management
Executive Management (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 July 2018
Complete lack of respect for management staff. No effective, reliable or truly independent resources for complaint reporting. Lots of political backstabbing. Promotion based on favouritism, gender & incompetence is rampant.
Pros
Variety of available work
Cons
culture, work life balance is non-existent, only lip service paid to policies, incompetence & favouritism due to yes-man attitude is promoted rather than honesty, integrity & truthfulness
You need to not care to survive
labouer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 July 2018
If you care about the job and or try to do a good job management will just keep adding tasks onto you until you snap.

The culture is really really really bad! They will cut the jobs that actually do the real work and put the money into a photo shoot.
Pros
Wage is ok, when they need you
Cons
Too many to list.
was an execelnt work space
Payroll & Benefits Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2018
i loved the professionalism, the people and the work environment. the management was nice and worked well with me. i enjoyed the jobs and tasks that were asked of me.
decent company
Horticulture Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 July 2018
good hours,
best with 4 days a week 10 hour shifts.
hard work but get enough breaks to make the days go by quickly
hard to get permeant work but lots of opportunities within the city to apply for
Fun place to work as a student in the summer
Edmonton (Former Employee) –  Edmonton7 July 2018
A regular day at work involved being out in the warm summer weather, and engaging with the fun youth of the community. There was never a boring day at work when kids would come to hang out at the parks!
Pros
fun, engaging
Cons
work hours
Horrible horrible management
Private (Current Employee) –  Private29 June 2018
It's been over a year since the city was in the media for having toxic culture and bad management and I can honestly say it has only gotten worse in my department. The morale is so bad people are consistently calling in sick or going on stress leave which I am considering doing myself. Management is horrible and cares nothing for you as a person. Has a "accept it or leave" attitude. The union is just as useless. Decisions are made and enforced upon us without consultation greatly reducing the quality of our life. Even when concerns about quality of life reduction are brought to senior management still get the same "accept it or leave" response.
Benefits
Cons
Managment and culture
In bus operations you are just a number but with the Peace Officers it is very well managed
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 June 2018
As a bus operator it is solid work but I have the feeling of being just a number in the employee pool.
As a Peace Officer with the city of Edmonton it is well managed and going in the right direction.
Pros
Solid work
Cons
Odd hours
Good job
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 June 2018
I was given plenty of time to complete tasks, and hours were consistent. They always provided everything I needed to get the job done. There were good benefits.
Day Camps
Summer Day Camp Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2018
Was a great way to stay active in the summertime and work with diverse communities. I would arrive around 0830 then leave typically around 1730 until the last child had gone home.
fun environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2018
With the Leaders in Training program it gave me a lot of experience and skills on how to be a leader for my everyday life. The hardest part of the job is not being listen to when given an opinion and the manager just brush it off.
Pros
gain experience
Cons
poor training skills

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Edmonton. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location