City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

Unprofessional work place
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 July 2018
There was minimal support from Supervisors, they expected a lot for very little pay. Management never took ownership of their mistakes just threw their staff under the bus.
It was the most disorganized place I ever worked
Horrible Culture for Management
Executive Management (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 July 2018
Complete lack of respect for management staff. No effective, reliable or truly independent resources for complaint reporting. Lots of political backstabbing. Promotion based on favouritism, gender & incompetence is rampant.
Pros
Variety of available work
Cons
culture, work life balance is non-existent, only lip service paid to policies, incompetence & favouritism due to yes-man attitude is promoted rather than honesty, integrity & truthfulness
You need to not care to survive
labouer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 July 2018
If you care about the job and or try to do a good job management will just keep adding tasks onto you until you snap.

The culture is really really really bad! They will cut the jobs that actually do the real work and put the money into a photo shoot.
Pros
Wage is ok, when they need you
Cons
Too many to list.
was an execelnt work space
Payroll & Benefits Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2018
i loved the professionalism, the people and the work environment. the management was nice and worked well with me. i enjoyed the jobs and tasks that were asked of me.
decent company
Horticulture Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 July 2018
good hours,
best with 4 days a week 10 hour shifts.
hard work but get enough breaks to make the days go by quickly
hard to get permeant work but lots of opportunities within the city to apply for
Fun place to work as a student in the summer
Edmonton (Former Employee) –  Edmonton7 July 2018
A regular day at work involved being out in the warm summer weather, and engaging with the fun youth of the community. There was never a boring day at work when kids would come to hang out at the parks!
Pros
fun, engaging
Cons
work hours
Horrible horrible management
Private (Current Employee) –  Private29 June 2018
It's been over a year since the city was in the media for having toxic culture and bad management and I can honestly say it has only gotten worse in my department. The morale is so bad people are consistently calling in sick or going on stress leave which I am considering doing myself. Management is horrible and cares nothing for you as a person. Has a "accept it or leave" attitude. The union is just as useless. Decisions are made and enforced upon us without consultation greatly reducing the quality of our life. Even when concerns about quality of life reduction are brought to senior management still get the same "accept it or leave" response.
Benefits
Cons
Managment and culture
In bus operations you are just a number but with the Peace Officers it is very well managed
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 June 2018
As a bus operator it is solid work but I have the feeling of being just a number in the employee pool.
As a Peace Officer with the city of Edmonton it is well managed and going in the right direction.
Pros
Solid work
Cons
Odd hours
Good job
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 June 2018
I was given plenty of time to complete tasks, and hours were consistent. They always provided everything I needed to get the job done. There were good benefits.
Day Camps
Summer Day Camp Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2018
Was a great way to stay active in the summertime and work with diverse communities. I would arrive around 0830 then leave typically around 1730 until the last child had gone home.
fun environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2018
With the Leaders in Training program it gave me a lot of experience and skills on how to be a leader for my everyday life. The hardest part of the job is not being listen to when given an opinion and the manager just brush it off.
Pros
gain experience
Cons
poor training skills
If you like labour, you can do it I guess
Parks labourer - Horticulture (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 June 2018
The job itself was never the issue, it was always the management. They're pretty sticky about regulations, and often, because of their monolithic policy, penalize unfairly for what would be a nonissue in most other places.
Very educational, aswell as informative
Green Shack Program/ flying eagle (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 May 2018
the green shack and flying eagle program taught me how to be a leader and how to talk different ages of people to get to know them and learn what they enjoy
Pros
educational aswell as informative and helpful
Cons
hot days 6 hour times in the hot sun
Good Working Environment
Aquatic Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2018
I have worked at Grand Trunk Leisure Centre for the past 3 and half years and it has been an overall enjoyable working experience. I have kind and friendly co-workers that makes this facility a nice place to work.
Pros
Free Facility Access Card
Cons
Certain tasks must be completed outside of work
Great Place to Work
Traffic Signals Technician II (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 May 2018
Great place to work. As a Traffic Signals Tech your day was busy and when a detour came in, you had to work fast to get it out the door. And documentation was very important to maintain.
Great workplace
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 April 2018
COE is a great workplace. They offer countless opporunities and also provide you with great benefits and great pay. Their is plenty of room to move up the ladder.
Productive, Lots of learning and Fun work place
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2018
there was a lot of work to do and that way i can learn some of the Technics and how to fix a problem. Really awesome foreman's to work with even though they were old the treat me on their level and thought me on their level. There was not a single day that i was not on handwork duty, step by step they run me through procedure of how engine works.The workplace environment was amazing, every one jokes around and that gave me motivation to wake up early 6 in the morning.
job description
Pool Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2018
late hours hard work why are you asking me for this i really just need to find a job this is annoying and very rude. i need a job. this is not making me happy stop asking people for this this is very misleading.
Great learning experience
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2018
the city of edmonton allowed me to learn and understand the reality of the work force. i loved and learned to many new things and carried them through to now as i work for in patient care
Fun to work, but need to grow more
Transit - Fare Product Distribution Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 April 2018
Need to understand the other sectors. Changes in management with immediate changes approaches to process without review creates chaos in the system. There is need to makes changes in a systematic flow

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Edmonton. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location