City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

Great part time job
Children Experiences Recreation Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2019
This has been such a fun job, and I will be sad when I have to leave. The children's experience team is awesome, and so friendly. Supervisors are very encouraging and supportive and offer advice when needed.
racist, homophobic, corrupt
Labour 2 (Former Employee) –  westwood yard7 March 2019
I worked for the city of edmonton for four years, no chance of being made permanent , would have layoffs the moment it snowed, very racist, my co-workers smoked pot then got into equipment and vehicles and operated them also they stole everything in sight, would recommend you never work there.
Pros
nothing
Cons
racist, druggies, thieves and liars
not sure what you want here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 February 2019
ALOT of politics. Having to kiss up to management, friends of managers get precedence and special treatment. All in all, they are more focussed on money than employees.
Takes forever to advance & shifts are impossible to get covered
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 February 2019
have to work basically 2 whole years part time to get a raise so it takes a long time. Also the shifts you get you’re completely stuck with. Bad management
Pros
Paid on site breaks
Cons
Horrible working hours
Great to work on my feet outside and enfore by laws
Bylaw Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 February 2019
Being outside everyday was a huge highlight. I do like being in charge of enforcing bylaws. I took pride in my job.

Wasn't paid that much as we were contracted out of a security company and not law enforcement.
Pros
Health benefits, working outside, made great friends
Cons
Not enough pay, physically demanding
working for the city of edmonton
Truck Driver Class (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2019
I loved working for the city .Just a few things that bug me and that was the drive to work from Camrose all my money was going to fuel . and shift work . I thought i only be on shift through the winter for a couple of years its not going on 5 yrs and it doesn't help that i have a little family to take care of. Once your in a postion with the city its hard to move up or down on the ladder . So your basically stuck in the middle and managment won't do much about it. I love driving truck its can be enjoying at times and exhusting at other time cause it just you in the truck and your mind will start to wonder .
long work day
TRUCK DRIVER V (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 February 2019
Its a good job, management needs work. Lots of discrimination within the city. I thought it would be a job i would have till i retired. i worked for 5 years and still didn't get a perminate postion, due to a hiring freeze mandated from the mayor.
productive fun summer job
Horticulture Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2019
Great for anyone wanting to work with a group of people as a summer job. Mainly involved doing minor horticulture and driving around getting to different positions
Very mismanaged, and cliquey corporation with
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2019
The City has a lot of perks, don’t get me wrong. Such as good pay for easy work, good crews, appreciation brunches and dinners, etc. But at the same time, there are lots of negatives. They do not hire permanent employees often so I know people who have been with the city 10yrs and have no benefits or job security. It is very cliquey - one of the upper hiring managers told me TO MY FACE that they only rehire if the person got along with their crew, was punctual and adhered to all policies. One of the policies is that temporary workers (which most of us are) only get 2 sick days per 11 month period and if you go over that you are no longer considered a “recommended rehire” and you are bumped to “conditional rehire”. Managers and team leaders play favorites, and if you aren’t one of them you are pretty much doomed if you hoped your career would lie within the city. They don’t care about work ethic, just if you suck up to management.
Pros
Good pay, easy work
Cons
Extremely cliquey, unfair management
Not exactly what I wanted to do
Administrative Professional (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 January 2019
My experience at The City was long-lived and very boring. Everything I went to school for and learnt, I used about 2% of my knowledge. There was hardly any work and no training or instruction on how to do the tasks given. However it was a special experience and not all businesses are run the same.
excellent company to work for.
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2019
Excellent company to work for. If you're looking for a job in the Edmonton are area you wont find a better job. If you want competitive wages, excellent benefits and a good work/home life they are the employer you're looking for
Great Summer Student Job
Summer Laborer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 December 2018
A great job for students over the summer. There is absolutely potential for individuals to move be promoted if they choose to stay on after they graduate.
Great place to work!
Tax Assessment Clerk II (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 December 2018
Good management and good coworkers. Fair and reasonable place to work. Good work space and good corporate culture. Love the pot luck lunches and food by staff
Pros
Good diversity
Worst place to work
person (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 December 2018
I have not experienced the amount of disrespect from management & coworkers ever in my life until becoming a city employee , it use to be a great place to work. It has turned in to a very stressed filled environment . there is no communication, only dictatorship & A very demeaning culture . This is no localized, it is wide spread though out the city of Edmonton from general labours to upper management , it is very disappointing .
benefits
Cons
most management is unrealistic
Awesome and unique workplace experience
Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 November 2018
Working with City of Edmonton was a excellent experience of my career.
-wonderful multicultural environment at workplace
-Cooperative and helping senior management staff
-Lots of growth opportunities
Pros
good salary
Cons
More work load
no connections, no work for you
employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 November 2018
The only way you can get a job with City of Edmonton, is if you have good friend or family work there
People with connections do what ever they want, people with out connection ....good luck to you
Typical day is out of 6 employees 2 of the are working and other 4 are sleeping or on the phone plying games
Many employees are sleeping at work
Promotions, how well you are connected with management that's how fast you will be promoted
Pros
no pros
Cons
favoritism, lies
Its terrible
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2018
-Misogynistic Culture of fear, humiliation and harassment fostered by and supported by upper management.
-Confusion and poor planning
-Nepotism and cronyism is the norm.
-Management treats temporary workers like pawns, whose schedules, place of work, and job descriptions can be changed without asking or any notification
-Temporary labourers are often given less than one day for notification of layoff
-The culture of gossip is extremely toxic. Especially amongst management. Both Direct and upper management
-Gives very little; almost no training on how to do the actual job you were hired for
Pros
Co workers
Cons
just about everything
good
Temporary Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2018
I was working through randstad agency.
but job atmosphere was excellent.

i was not on permanent position.so they were treating as a helping hand guest. They were happy with my service.
Pros
free lunch during over time.
Cons
some time
Summary
Supervisor/Market Planner (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2018
I have worked at the COE for 7 years and it offers great job security and decent pay and benefits. While there are opportunities for growth they don't always seem to available.
Hard Culture to break into and harder clients to manage.
Elections Receptionist - Office of the City Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2018
It felt like the City's motto should have been what more can we take from our employees. There was a lot of hard work with little benefits and good luck if you are in a position that deals with the public. They feel like they own you because "they pay your salary". I have never been treated worse at a job by the clients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Edmonton. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location