City of Edmonton
Happiness score is 64 out of 100

City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

Canada440 reviews

Good pay. Stressful job

Good pay. Good pension. I enjoy working for the city. There is really good job security. Dealing with people all day can sometimes be a drag. If you want to progress and move up there is opportunity for that

Wasn't bad

10 hour days 4 days a week wasn't bad, just some of my co workers were lazy or thought they were managers because they were older. You pay into a union with No benefits or pension or job security and you pay into a charity that is non negotiable but the pay was pretty good

Pros

Pay was good

Cons

Co workers were lazy and rude

Insights into City of Edmonton

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Never work here

Worked for the city for 7 years. I would never recommend working for the city period. Management don't know what there doing there not educated enough to see problems happening right in front of there eyes. They sit I. The office doing nothing and have no understanding of the work place. There's absolutely no security unless you can get full time Union sucks bigger than the city. where you pay Union and nothing will ever happen if it ever comes to needing your union union will not back you up unless you're full-time and don't work the winter because it sucks even more than the summer. . Not recommended this place this review the city controls in what I real want to say about the city. And names I would love to share but city will not let me post stuff that really happens behind the closed doors

Good paying jobs.

Management is the shortfall with the City. Pay and Benefits are good once Permanent Status is achieved. Lots of talk about Contracting out. Stats plus Days in Leiu of off!

Good Supervisors and coworkers. Pay was ok, kind of low, but I worked there for 3 years and no Permanent work. NO SECURITY,,,No Benefits

Safety meeting in morning, get to your equipment, circle check, get to work. The hardest part, was not always on the same run, so had a hard time learning the run

Pros

Good people in our group. Lots of laughter.

Cons

No Benefits.

Workplace was always safe

I worked hard and enjoyed my co workers.We got to know all about each other and why the city needs to employ more people to keep our roads and parks safe and clean

good place to relax

okay place to work. would try to find something with better pay. you are just a number here but you dont have to really care too much about the job. really hard to get in and land a perm posting.

Pros

very low stress

Cons

no responsibility

Strong union presence which at times can be frustrating but the job security is nice. Room for mobility but you need to be willing to take some less desirable shifts.

Bullies and nepotism- horrible culture

Private company the best choice over this job. Here you are expected to work for free - stay late but never leave before 4:24- unpaid lunch and no breaks- eat on the run,You are expected to work for free to have the privilege to work for city- does no pay to work harder and killing time is the norm.Stay clear-

Pros

Higher than average pay and benefits-

Cons

No promotions, and no OT, expect you work for free or shorthand because it is a City job

Work life balance

Its a toss up. You might love it. You might hate it. Depends on where you end up you m8ght find yourself satisfied or might find yourself losing ambition and passion for your job. Merit has no merit. Qualifications mean nothing if your a minority or trans or female. But.. it puts food on the table

Pros

Work life balance.

Cons

Management and politics are unbearable at times

Exciting and supportive environment

Fantastic place to work. Management is supportive and encourages collaboration while still ensuring the team has the resources to succeed. Extremely supportive throughout the pandemic to allow WFH.

Great place to work if you're interested in a career

I worked in a warehouse for ETS and it was a good place to make a decent living. Wages were great for the roles (this was a union shop) and management was OK. Floor employees were mostly hard working, but there were a few union sleazebags just like anywhere else.

Pros

Great pay and benefits Relaxed work environment

Cons

Shift work is not my cup of tea

Constantly changing, woke/unfair corporate culture, highly political.

Working at the City of Edmonton truly depends on the group you work in and the team around. Unfortunately, a few rotten apples spoil the bunch. If you are fortunate enough to work on a solid team ... congratulations.

Pros

Not long hours.

Cons

Constant indoctrination.

Not a great employer anymore.

Wages are far below average due to deductions. Extremely micromanaged no planning of work flow Safety culture is very weak Very weak leadership on all levels

Pros

Some good techs but little teaching goes on.

Cons

Terribly managed no flow of work and very clicky.

Dedicated employees trying to do their best in difficult circumstances

Most of the people at the City are dedicated and hard-working public servants, but I feel we are continually let down by senior management. Constant re-organizations over the last five years and near-annual budget "adjustments" (i.e. cuts) have led to burnout and poor morale. Senior management does a poor job of supporting and advocating for their employees. Experiences vary widely depending on what department / branch people are working in. Little to no prospects for advancement - senior management seems intent on hiring from outside for anything Director level and up.Out-of-scope (non-union) employees have had a pay freeze for years and mediocre benefits compared to unionized employees. The trade-off in accepting lower compensation is supposed to be stability/job security and work/life balance, but the last few years have seen threats to jobs and people being asked to do more with less.If you are fortunate to have a good team, you will enjoy the work.

Pros

Interesting and fulfilling work, Collaborative approach in most business areas, Good horizontal integration, Most employees are dedicated and hard-working

Cons

Mediocre Benefits for non-union employees, Political environment, Absolutely no perks (bring your own coffee pods), Poor vertical communication

Okay place

It was too chill and non chalant. The management was poor. They do not have a clue or proper training on how to mage employees. Not many people used the parks so you'll be bored a bit. But your supervisor would expect you to be working like there was a crowd.

Terrible management.

Everyone is concerned about how they look to their superior. Quality of work comes second. Nepotism is a huge problem at the city of Edmonton. Hours are horribly scheduled. They give you just enough so that you do not get shift differential. Probably why everyone quit.

Pros

Do whatever you want

Cons

Work till 3 am most nights and they won't even give you 40 hrs a week which is why I quit.

Fair place to work

There are problems there but they are trying to resolve them.Where I worked, my coworkers were excellent, my internal clients were respectful, and the leadership was generally competent and acknowledged my expertise.

Management heavy

Management is not respectful of the employees despite preaching how the City is a respectful workplace. They are backward thinkers, management heavy and are going backwards regarding work life balance. It's like working in the 1970's.

Pros

Salary is good

Cons

Hours about to increase, earned days off about to be removed and too many managers

A poorly managed downward spiral

If you’re worried about the city of Edmonton wasting your tax dollars at every turn you are right to worry. The bureaucracy is unparalleled and the laziness and incompetence deeply rooted.

Pros

Wages

Going down hill

The city is moving to 40 hour w/week with no EDO program eff Jan 2022. They tout themselves as an equal work life balance employer. I guess no more. It was a great program and really helped those with young and extended families and those with medical needs. Although you have job security there is little to no advancement if your not liked through the grapevine. Believe me managers talk. They say there is growth but nothing happens in certain areas. A lot of processes are changed without employee input and it's frustrating to fix things and find work arounds. Department hiring has to be approved by the ELT (Executive leadership team) and they are more worried about their bonus than hiring. Overtime is expected but not paid or rewarded. It's an attaboy reward. Most people skip breaks and work past in order to keep things afloat. When the hours change, and the EDO program is removed. It will be a a horrible place. And many of those unhappy now will leave. It will go from an okay place to an awful place to work.

Pros

Current work hours and EDO program

Cons

40 hour work week starting Jan 2022, End of EDO program, management too busy to care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Edmonton. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement