City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

Very mismanaged, and cliquey corporation with
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2019
The City has a lot of perks, don’t get me wrong. Such as good pay for easy work, good crews, appreciation brunches and dinners, etc. But at the same time, there are lots of negatives. They do not hire permanent employees often so I know people who have been with the city 10yrs and have no benefits or job security. It is very cliquey - one of the upper hiring managers told me TO MY FACE that they only rehire if the person got along with their crew, was punctual and adhered to all policies. One of the policies is that temporary workers (which most of us are) only get 2 sick days per 11 month period and if you go over that you are no longer considered a “recommended rehire” and you are bumped to “conditional rehire”. Managers and team leaders play favorites, and if you aren’t one of them you are pretty much doomed if you hoped your career would lie within the city. They don’t care about work ethic, just if you suck up to management.
Pros
Good pay, easy work
Cons
Extremely cliquey, unfair management
Not exactly what I wanted to do
Administrative Professional (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 January 2019
My experience at The City was long-lived and very boring. Everything I went to school for and learnt, I used about 2% of my knowledge. There was hardly any work and no training or instruction on how to do the tasks given. However it was a special experience and not all businesses are run the same.
excellent company to work for.
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2019
Excellent company to work for. If you're looking for a job in the Edmonton are area you wont find a better job. If you want competitive wages, excellent benefits and a good work/home life they are the employer you're looking for
Great place to work!
Tax Assessment Clerk II (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 December 2018
Good management and good coworkers. Fair and reasonable place to work. Good work space and good corporate culture. Love the pot luck lunches and food by staff
Pros
Good diversity
Worst place to work
person (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 December 2018
I have not experienced the amount of disrespect from management & coworkers ever in my life until becoming a city employee , it use to be a great place to work. It has turned in to a very stressed filled environment . there is no communication, only dictatorship & A very demeaning culture . This is no localized, it is wide spread though out the city of Edmonton from general labours to upper management , it is very disappointing .
benefits
Cons
most management is unrealistic
Awesome and unique workplace experience
Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 November 2018
Working with City of Edmonton was a excellent experience of my career.
-wonderful multicultural environment at workplace
-Cooperative and helping senior management staff
-Lots of growth opportunities
Pros
good salary
Cons
More work load
no connections, no work for you
employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 November 2018
The only way you can get a job with City of Edmonton, is if you have good friend or family work there
People with connections do what ever they want, people with out connection ....good luck to you
Typical day is out of 6 employees 2 of the are working and other 4 are sleeping or on the phone plying games
Many employees are sleeping at work
Promotions, how well you are connected with management that's how fast you will be promoted
Pros
no pros
Cons
favoritism, lies
Its terrible
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2018
-Misogynistic Culture of fear, humiliation and harassment fostered by and supported by upper management.
-Confusion and poor planning
-Nepotism and cronyism is the norm.
-Management treats temporary workers like pawns, whose schedules, place of work, and job descriptions can be changed without asking or any notification
-Temporary labourers are often given less than one day for notification of layoff
-The culture of gossip is extremely toxic. Especially amongst management. Both Direct and upper management
-Gives very little; almost no training on how to do the actual job you were hired for
Pros
Co workers
Cons
just about everything
good
Temporary Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2018
I was working through randstad agency.
but job atmosphere was excellent.

i was not on permanent position.so they were treating as a helping hand guest. They were happy with my service.
Pros
free lunch during over time.
Cons
some time
Summary
Supervisor/Market Planner (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2018
I have worked at the COE for 7 years and it offers great job security and decent pay and benefits. While there are opportunities for growth they don't always seem to available.
Hard Culture to break into and harder clients to manage.
Elections Receptionist - Office of the City Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2018
It felt like the City's motto should have been what more can we take from our employees. There was a lot of hard work with little benefits and good luck if you are in a position that deals with the public. They feel like they own you because "they pay your salary". I have never been treated worse at a job by the clients.
Not for me
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2018
If you enjoy feeling like you accomplished something in a day I wouldn't recommend CoE. If you want to punch a clock and float, great place.

Everything needs multiple approvals, union workers are invulnerable where management has nothing to review poor business practices. Change is rampant so you have to constantly navigate new procedures that no one knows, if someone doesn't want to do something they just pass the buck to another department and send you on a goose chase. Very frustrating and hard to stay motivated.
Pros
Many good people that try, slightly less hrs/week
Cons
Constant change and shuffling, many bad people who dont try, super process heavy
good
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Edmonotn26 October 2018
good to work for
learned lots and had some really good supervisors
learned lots of interesting things and the pay was very well
lots of opportunities to grow and better yourself
lots of courses offered
labour 1 (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 October 2018
I found working for the City was a great experience, working out side meeting new people the hours are great, wages were good, I look forward to returning next year
Fun place to work
Transit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2018
I worked there as a teenager during highschool.
Was a great experience.
Was a sales clerk and cashier.
Staff incentives for higher sales
Loved the sales atmosphere and dealing with customers
Capable of fast past environment
Pros
Flexible hours
If you want Job Security and no advancement
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 October 2018
This is a great place for work life balance, salary and benefits. However, will not promote from within and most always external hire.
If you have been here long time you will never change position.
Lots of wasted time trying to get things done.
Pros
Job Security, Pay and Benefits
Cons
Lack of movement and internal promotion for union employee
not a good place to be
Building Maintenance Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 October 2018
The city of Edmonton was a waste of time. they waste tax payer money sitting and doing nothing. they fix stuff only so they break again. the city of Edmonton is full of losers. and the transit CEO is an idiot i could do a better job drunk
loved the job
drainage leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 October 2018
trouble shooting, drawing up blue prints, always something new, being a drainage leader.
drainage systems and how it all worked
management was good and bad
diverse employees
some sewer problems
always kept busy and always learnt something new
Depends on what you are looking for
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 September 2018
The job security and benefits are good, but the companies culture has taken a nose dive in recent years. So it depends what you value in your work life.
Pros
Security, benefits, hours of work.
Cons
Culture, work life balance, communication between management and staff
Highly effective and responsive staff
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 September 2018
Staff able to deal with emerging issues in a very professional manner. Amazing opportunity to feel you are truly serving the citizens in this public facing organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Edmonton. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location