City of Coquitlam, BC

City of Coquitlam, BC Pay & benefits reviews

Decent place to work great work life balance with generous time off. Difficult to advance but great assistance to better yourself for potential advancements elsewhere. Very routine orientated work and borders on the mundane very little opportunity for overtime so your annual income is easily computed.
It is a secure job that pays well and offers great hours for students both in high school and in university. Able to request hours and decline hours if it interferes with health or school.
The City taught me a lot about strategy, planning and priorities. The City is a respectful workplace and encourages active participation between staff departments and teams.
Pros
Unionized environment with benefits
Cons
Top Down
I worked afternoons from 5.00 pm till 11.30 pm there were 4 building service employees each with his/her own specific area at City Hall, while we would be given occasional instructions as to which areas were to be targeted we were generally left to concentrate on what we considered needed to be done. I was originally posted at the leisure facility as a pool services operator, where I progressed to obtain my pool services certificates, regulating water quality for the leisure pools and spas. I am unable to point out any aspects of my employment of which I found in any way unpleasant, I suppose it comes down to how well one gets along with co-workers and management. Knowing that you had some input into the conditions in which you work was one of the most satisfying points about working for the City of Coquitlam, this fact and the really special people with whom I was associated with made my employment there one of the most enjoyable working experiences...
Pros
health benefits
Cons
work with chemicals