City of Coquitlam, BC

City of Coquitlam, BC Management reviews

Clear

Collobrative work envrionemnt and supportive team

Worked as part of the advisory team. Management and team members were very supportive, open dialogue was always encouraged. Although my role was temporary, I gained a lot of valuable experience in recruitment and advising. All the managers I supported were also great to work with, and really valued HR's expertise.

Personal trainer

I work as a personal trainer and group fitness instructor and find that my management team are helpful and supportive. You make the job as busy as you want as it is causal employment.

Great salary and benefits, but no work hours guaranteed

- worked auxiliary hours - learned contracts - management was disappointing - staff were great to work with - hardest part of job was lack of consistent training - most enjoyable part was the staff

Good people; poor work culture; very political

Do work. Don't make waves. Many decision makers. Limited advancement if you dont fit culture. Very political. At times disorganized and dysfunctional. Constant change.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Ricky's definition of a healthly work place environment

- Management should provide encouragement, and recognition when hard work is displayed by employees. As well as promote social cohesiveness to benefit teamwork.

Pros

Extended break time when needed

Cons

Not allowing a flexible work scope. In other words, avoid pigenholing.

Swimming Instructor/Lifeguard

Coquitlam residents consist mainly of families, very friendly and diverse community where all cultures come together to create a safe and pleasant city to live in. The typical work day for a popular sports facility in a large city consists of many tasks, deadlines and extreme organization especially dealing with children. The management is very strong and approachable with a desire for all employees to excel in and outside the work force which inevidably attracted to best employees around creating a pleasent and strong team based atmosphere. The difficulties of the job are irate and unpleasent customers and patrons which also created challenges that were embraced and handled professionally. The most enjoyable aspect the job were the challenges faced everyday, creating a training ground for excellence and growth.

Commeraderie with workmates

I worked afternoons from 5.00 pm till 11.30 pm there were 4 building service employees each with his/her own specific area at City Hall, while we would be given occasional instructions as to which areas were to be targeted we were generally left to concentrate on what we considered needed to be done. I was originally posted at the leisure facility as a pool services operator, where I progressed to obtain my pool services certificates, regulating water quality for the leisure pools and spas. I am unable to point out any aspects of my employment of which I found in any way unpleasant, I suppose it comes down to how well one gets along with co-workers and management. Knowing that you had some input into the conditions in which you work was one of the most satisfying points about working for the City of Coquitlam, this fact and the really special people with whom I was associated with made my employment there one of the most enjoyable working experiences...

Pros

health benefits

Cons

work with chemicals

Jobs at City of Coquitlam, BC