City of Coquitlam, BC logo
City of Coquitlam, BC

City of Coquitlam, BC Employee Reviews

Collobrative work envrionemnt and supportive team

Worked as part of the advisory team. Management and team members were very supportive, open dialogue was always encouraged. Although my role was temporary, I gained a lot of valuable experience in recruitment and advising. All the managers I supported were also great to work with, and really valued HR's expertise.

Productive - readily available

-Fun workplace -Lots of time to work on yourself and work on maintaining the floor and helping general patrons get set up on the gym floor. -Need good communication

Productive and Fun work place

Exceptional and supportive team with solid workplace culture. Most enjoyable part of my job was the constant stream of design projects for City programs and services!

Personal trainer

I work as a personal trainer and group fitness instructor and find that my management team are helpful and supportive. You make the job as busy as you want as it is causal employment.

Productive fun place to work in

Good work environment to work in, friendly environment and ability to grow from within. If you come to work and show that you are hungry to get things done, you will succeed.

Hurry up and wait

Decent place to work great work life balance with generous time off. Difficult to advance but great assistance to better yourself for potential advancements elsewhere. Very routine orientated work and borders on the mundane very little opportunity for overtime so your annual income is easily computed.

Great salary and benefits, but no work hours guaranteed

- worked auxiliary hours - learned contracts - management was disappointing - staff were great to work with - hardest part of job was lack of consistent training - most enjoyable part was the staff

Reliable pool

the city of Coquitlam was an organized and fun environment. Although during the time that I worked there, they were very overstaffed and continued to hire new people, plus factoring in seniority, be prepared to get few shifts.

good

It is a secure job that pays well and offers great hours for students both in high school and in university. Able to request hours and decline hours if it interferes with health or school.

Public Service

The City taught me a lot about strategy, planning and priorities. The City is a respectful workplace and encourages active participation between staff departments and teams.

Pros

Unionized environment with benefits

Cons

Top Down

Jobs at City of Coquitlam, BC

See more jobs

Good people; poor work culture; very political

Do work. Don't make waves. Many decision makers. Limited advancement if you dont fit culture. Very political. At times disorganized and dysfunctional. Constant change.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Commitment, honesty and experience to handle the City finances

Short time I was there but everybody is friendly, very committed and experienced. They trained me very well. People there is very supportive of recent graduates as myself. Full disclosure of information, very transparent and honest.

Pros

Young, friendly, very professional staff at all levels

Cons

Hard to park

Ricky's definition of a healthly work place environment

- Management should provide encouragement, and recognition when hard work is displayed by employees. As well as promote social cohesiveness to benefit teamwork.

Pros

Extended break time when needed

Cons

Not allowing a flexible work scope. In other words, avoid pigenholing.

Fantastic place to work as a student.

Perfect part time position, excellent place of work. Staff are easy to get along with and the environment is fantastic. Highly recommend for a job during post secondary.

I volunteered at City of Coquitlam - Fun job

It was my job to just take care of animals during my time at the City of Coquitlam (Animal Shelter). I tended to the cats and made sure that they were well fed and taken care of as well as the rabbits and dogs. I also sanitized the cages and cleaned the vicinity where the animals would inhabit.

Pros

Took care of animals

Involving and fast paced work

Working at the City of Coquitlam is very enjoyable because the work is very people oriented and working with people of all ages is a very enjoyable task. I enjoyed working with the City for major events and summer camps very much. It is one of my favorite things to do on my off time.

Pros

Volunteer hours

Cons

Tiring, involves a lot of exercise

Swimming Instructor/Lifeguard

Coquitlam residents consist mainly of families, very friendly and diverse community where all cultures come together to create a safe and pleasant city to live in. The typical work day for a popular sports facility in a large city consists of many tasks, deadlines and extreme organization especially dealing with children. The management is very strong and approachable with a desire for all employees to excel in and outside the work force which inevidably attracted to best employees around creating a pleasent and strong team based atmosphere. The difficulties of the job are irate and unpleasent customers and patrons which also created challenges that were embraced and handled professionally. The most enjoyable aspect the job were the challenges faced everyday, creating a training ground for excellence and growth.

Playing and working with various children.

It was a weekly volunteer work at the community centre. My job was to supervise the kids and help the staff when needed. The children were extremely cute; however, some have hard time detaching their bodies a part from their parents. I learned how to lead and comfort them into peace and not let them cry. I managed to cheer them up and turn their frowns into big laughters. My staffs were amazingly nice and considerate. One of the hardest part of this experience was to take care of numerous kids at once. It was a bit of a hassle and overwhelming; however, being able to see big smiles on their faces made me think all the effort I've put in to was worth it. Each time I volunteer, the experiences are always enjoyable and fun. No regrets were made after all.

Pros

Experience hands on handling with kids, learning how to be organized, multitask

Flexible, allows for opportunity for development of a number of skills including team work, leadership, conflict resolution.

A typical day consists of 4 or more hours per shift which includes lifeguarding the pool, teaching swimming lessons, learning about new pool programs, and interacting with the public. I have learned to take initiative, be reliable, work within a team setting, the importance of strong communication skills. I have strengthened my public relations and interpersonal skills as well as developed my leadership skills and problem solving skills. My managers are highly supportive and take a strong interest in all the employees and seek to maintain the best standard possible. My co-workers are around the same age as myself which makes working with them highly enjoyable as we are all at similar stages in our lives. The most difficult part of my job is dealing with stereotypes perceived by patrons regarding my position as a lifeguard and a young woman. The most enjoyable part is working with kids and interacting with the public.

Pros

wage and flexibility

Cons

lack of hours available, hour allocation policy

Commeraderie with workmates

I worked afternoons from 5.00 pm till 11.30 pm there were 4 building service employees each with his/her own specific area at City Hall, while we would be given occasional instructions as to which areas were to be targeted we were generally left to concentrate on what we considered needed to be done. I was originally posted at the leisure facility as a pool services operator, where I progressed to obtain my pool services certificates, regulating water quality for the leisure pools and spas. I am unable to point out any aspects of my employment of which I found in any way unpleasant, I suppose it comes down to how well one gets along with co-workers and management. Knowing that you had some input into the conditions in which you work was one of the most satisfying points about working for the City of Coquitlam, this fact and the really special people with whom I was associated with made my employment there one of the most enjoyable working experiences...

Pros

health benefits

Cons

work with chemicals

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Coquitlam, BC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2