City of Calgary

City of Calgary Employee Reviews

Good place.Lot to learn.DiversifiedInclusionSlow & steadyGovernment regulations and policies.Structured.Remote some times.Travel within the city.
A typical day at work in The City of Calgary is wonderful because there you are treated with dignity. Everybody share values and are committed to do their best. That's why The City of Calgary is a great place to work.
Pros
Good payment
Cons
short contracts
Personally the best job I have had to date. This is a perfect place to learn new skills and become part of a life long community. The most enjoyable part of this job is being part of recreation and creating a safe and fun environment for children, youth and adults. The hardest part of this job is terminating your position after being part of this lovely community. This job is for people who work hard, have a passion for kids and aquatics, are open to learning and growing as a individual.
The best part about the City - work life balance. With 7.75 hours a day, you get to take every alternate Fridays off. Work culture is very self motivated i.e. if you are motivated enough to get something done then you take the initiative to get it done without the possibility of extra pay. As with every other job there are pluses and minuses. Talk to as many people as you can and create your own opinion about working for the City.
Pros
Great work security and work life balance
Cons
limited opportunities for career advancement
A bit bureaucratic at times A bit hierarchal Interesting work Management lead by example Process could be refined for quicker turnaround Colleagues are nice
The City of Calgary is a very good government to work for. They pay well, offer great work-life balance, solid benefits, pension plan. Managers lead by example, are strong communicators. Most employees work there in order to retire, not for the challenge or opportunity to grow, and are not very ambitious
Pros
Comfy job
Cons
Not overly challenging
Excellent colleagues, environments, open to new ways of doing things and they care about their staff improving and gaining experience as well as training. The culture is diverse. The clients are very demanding on the operations side of things and they can be the worst part of the job.
Pros
Exposure and experience to different things
Cons
Client expectations are difficult to manage, promotions are not that easy to come by
I took a 6 month contract at the City of Calgary with the hopes of getting a full time position. Unfortunately there were funding cut backs and my position was not extended. The most frustrating part of working for the City is room for advancement. I applied for several jobs that I had all of the qualifications for, but never even received one interview. This was due to seniority within the union at the City.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Very hard to advance
Inclusive and positive work environment. A typical day at work for me would be to arrive at 8:09 and work on work that has been assigned to me throughout the day. Some of the work I do is research on projects, which I do enjoy.
I enjoyed working for the Calgary Fire Department for 25 years. I retired as a Captain in charge of a firehall with men and equipment to serve the citizens of Calgary. Learned many skills in firefighting, saving lives and protecting property and the environment. The hardest part was dealing with people injured and how their lives were affected. The most enjoyable part was seeing how happy people were when we helped them
Pros
Saving lives, helping people
Would be a great place to work if you start young and don't mind working your way up the hierarchy. Until you reach seniority you can expect to be put on any rout or traded to any department or given any job for many years. I was told by other employees the best way to succeed there is to do exactly as you're told but don't do any extra because no one will notice or care if they do. That was very good advice.
Pros
good pay and benifits, schedual rotation gives you 4 days off in a row, community clean ups were fun
Cons
union culture hard to get used to, some sketchy people work there
Everything is great about working for the City of Calgary Transit department except for the daily 12 hour split shifts, the monotony of the work, the hazards of traffic, and the threat of assault from hostile customers. It requires great dedication, collaboration with other operators to accommodate shift changes, ability to deal with difficult customers and to operate a bus and stay on schedule, safely and with courtesy at all times, on various routes, sometimes more than two or three different routes per day, regardless of conditions of the roadway and the customer, including drunken and belligerent customers. Other than all that, it pays very well, has great medical benefits, a good pension, union support, and free uniform including shoes, socks, winter coat and gloves.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
High stress, daily 12 hour split shifts
The all successful business understand how important productivity is in a work environment .an employees productivity can help the company in utilize
Pros
Cons
12 Hour
Top heavy management, too many managers who micro manager to few union staff. Management are arrogant and vile. Lots of bullying and intimidation. To cut property taxes, cut management. Those who do the work are union people. MME's do nothing except micro manage.
Pros
Cons
Managment
I worked here for years and have nothing bad too say except they dont treat you well if you have personal issues and need time off and come back. They bullied me out of the company
i worked for parks out of high school its a very good place to get your foot in the door with the city of Calgary being seasonal for some people works but at the time it didn't for me but luckily there is lots of things to do for them
I've had a few jobs with the City of Calgary. There are many different walks of life that work there which is wonderful but can also be challenging. There are a lot of expectations with very little support at times, and I found that there were some managers that didn't have the skills to be there. Overall, good starting point for young adults to integrate into the working world, but not a long time career choice
Some great people work here but there is no accountability for management. There is poor communication among teams and there is a genuine fear for people's jobs. Would not recommend working here.
Nothing very fascinating but people are nice. Still stick with old technology. They try to grow but things are slow. Good benifits and salary. Free parking at some locations is good.
Good place to work, great people. I have worked in several business units across the organization. Each time I work in a new business unit I am pleased with the welcome I recieve.
Very fast paced position dealing with children between the age of 3-14(typically). Good teamwork is required and supervision is helpful to improve the day camps and sports camps.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Long preperation
  1. Employee reviews