City of Calgary

City of Calgary Employee Reviews

Good place.Lot to learn.DiversifiedInclusionSlow & steadyGovernment regulations and policies.Structured.Remote some times.Travel within the city.
My workplace culture is great where I get to learn and enjoy working with my co-workers. My work let me spend time with my family as well therefore my work life balance is good. My manager listens to my problems if I have any and provide me solutions as well.
I left the city due to personal reasons and mainly additional stress that I was facing that time. While I wanted to join back, with more experience and jollifications, I am not given an opportunity so for.
Working for the City was great. Many opportunities to apply in different business units from within. They offered wellness sessions from meditation, yoga, nutrition, gyms and riding bicycles by the river! Ever hear of a company doing that? The services offered to employees really blossomed over the years and the City is a great place to work.
Counted ballots and learned the whole election process, it was a great learning experience for a young kid like me, I would recommend it to anyone who wants to learn about the election process and see how things work in Calgary.
Hired to work on an ERP Implementation and continued to work there after the implementation to support the ERP system. Great people to work with in a relaxed environment.
I have been with the city for 17 years and wouldn't change a day of it. The ability to learn new positions and the security of knowing I can provide for my family
City of Calgary is an excellent place to work, if you are ambitious and hard working this is a place to gain appreciation and visibility. I loved and enjoyed working at the City of Calgary.
Was the best place I've worked in a long time, my TEAM was amazing!! What more can I say The Bonny Brook Waste Water Treatment Plant was a GREAT place to work.
I enjoyed working at the City very much. I received the job through Mark Staffing. I worked for a couple of the Councillors during the summer of 2015 and I worked on Reception for the remaining time I was there. Everyone was very nice and supportive.
The city of Calgary was a good summer job for a short period of time. But the work environment was bad at best. You have no ability to advance in the industry and no changes could be made to staff due to the union.
Flexible work environment, great coworkers, culture is ok. management is good, but not stable as most people are contract and waiting to be permanent,
City of CALGARY is a nice place to work. The people are helpful and friendly. There are always possibilities towards job advancement. If you work hard you will reap from your efforts. Communication between departments could be improved. I would recommend the City of CALGARY!
A continuous learning environment with the ability to advance easily. Peers are light-hearted but serious when needed. Kept busy by having different challenges daily
Enjoyable working with culturally diverse crew doing paint and fence repair for seniors who qualified for this City service. The pay at the time was minimum wage.
I strongly suggest to anyone to work for the city of Calgary because it’s relaxed and there’s a wide verity of work to be done and the benefits are ok and the pay is good
First of all my boss was the very best in terms of leadership and caring. As in most corporate environments there are colleagues who just don’t know how to get along with others and this decreases the value of your job. The pay and benefits are the great as is the work/life balance. The city is different in that City Counsellors and top brass pass down orders and directives that are almost impossible for a manager to complete. The managers then look like the bad guys when passing directives to the average workers. Again this is the difficulty working in a corporate atmosphere. Otherwise the City takes care of their employees well, especially at the Fire Department.
Pros
Advancement, Learning, Benefits
Cons
Corporate environment
It was very hands off and I was free to manage my own work days. There was a lot of office politics though. The pay was fair and there was nice to have every 3rd Friday off.
Had lots of fun leading activities and interacting with children and collaborating with other staff. It helped me learn how to time manage more efficiently.
Great place to work with a diverse culture and good leadership values. The organization values growth and development and supports mental health. The compensation is good.
This is a great career and employer but with cut backs and other outside influences looming it has become a very unknown and unstable future type workplace. Very stressful not knowing what is happening day to day and no potential to advance or increase income! After contract negotiations the workers were left to live with ZERO increases for 3 years while inflation and the cost of living in Calgary continuously skyrockets out of control! It's Impossible to survive or even buy a home on a single income for a ridiculous amount of work and health and safety concerns with no wage increases while a loaf of bread is $4.00 and higher ! Totally unacceptable from a city employer from my vast career experiences!
  1. Employee reviews