City of Calgary

City of Calgary Employee Reviews

Good place.Lot to learn.DiversifiedInclusionSlow & steadyGovernment regulations and policies.Structured.Remote some times.Travel within the city.
All staff are hardworking, and put our customers first. Work/life balance is excellent. Management build relationships with staff and easily approachable. Best job I've ever had.
Roads is Managed and maintained by a toxic work environment, fear of management and corporate Bullying throughout department. Human Resources department is completely complicit with the culture..
There are a lot of team event to help you know the organization well and familiarize you to the work. The team also gave me flexibility to work on what I proposed.
Even with the challenges related to the projects managed by City employees, the environment is light and very collaborative. It is really driven by the 4 C's : Collaboration, Character, Commitment and Competency.
good working place. high productivity. challenging projects. good culture. recommended to professionals, engineers and technicians. people work there are knowledgeable.
A rewarding experience with many career choices of a corporation with over 17,000 employees. Several unions, careers and levels for personal advancement.
As a volunteer, my responsibilities were to support the counselors in delivering programming to upwards of 30 campers. While I held a volunteer position at the time, I acquired the skills needed to apply for and enjoy a successful part-time career working with other non-profit camps in the Kananaskis.Trying to decide if the camp life is for you? Try volunteering first!
I worked for a day as a DRO for the provincial elections. The environment was fast paced and the co-workers were very helpful. If I get a chance, I would love to go back and work again.
Good place to work but the politics can ruin a guy if he can’t brush it off The workers are awesome and do their best Management is questionable to say the least
I always enjoyed going to work in the morning, I never had a bad day at work. The experiences I got to be involved in, really gave me great life experience. The employees within the workplace were like no other, they were always there to help and always fun to work with. The culture within the workplace is like nothing I have ever experienced, it felt like one big family.
The Waste and Recycling Services section is unfair and unequal to employees, showing blatant favouritism to some and a consistent history of antagonism and contempt for others. An employee can expect harassment and personal attacks by management as well as a toxic work environment. The job gave an overall feeling of "us" against "them" (being the city).
Enjoy a great career in multiple settings and roles as you can move around and do whatever you choose in many different fields. When you work with the City of Calgary, you will be very pleased.
Job satisfaction depends on a variety of factors such as who your supervisor/superior is, who your coworkers are, the type of program you work in, and the budget of the program.
When you're at the bottom of the totem pole when working for the city, it takes YEARS to move up. I was stuck on the night shift for 7 years with no light at the end of the tunnel. I have young children and working nights became too much on my body and family. They have wonderful benefits and holiday/sick time and paid pretty good though!
You get to work with different individuals that either can help you progress or will throw you under the bus. I enjoyed meeting different types of customers. I enjoyed the different types of events that were done within the facility. You also had the opportunity to work outdoors in the summer. There was in-house training within the City. Courses that you could take to better yourself.
It was fun to work for the city, met good people. The pay was good and fair. I also learned lots of new things. Only thing that was bad was some of the management.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Stable secure job. Wages seem good at first, but deductions for all your benefits reduces take home pay in a big way. Good people overall, but troublemakers never get fired. Worked there 27 years. The pension is nice. Be aware, this is a sewage treatment plant! A very large sewage treatment plant.
The Parks Department is a large and diverse workplace within the City of Calgary, with many divisions working together to help create and more a more enjoyable experience with Calgary's green spaces. Everyday is a new challenge, which makes the job more challenging and rewarding.
This job is not fun, however it does keep you occupied. For a 60year old man, it is perfect. You have to be organized, if you don't you will be going back to the same house 4 times. You have to have a great personality to overcome negativity , People are usually nice to you. However you will meet the odd one. Great exercise.
Applied with 3000 people. 40 made the cut 2 years after. 4 months of very hard training. The worse time of my life. Discriminated against, harrassed, bullied, abused, dehumanized, ridiculed in front of every other coworker. Anyway, I believe it is a great job if you get on the right side of the bunch bullies.
  1. Employee reviews