City of Calgary logo
City of Calgary

City of Calgary Employee Reviews for Recreation Leader

Work-life balance

Job satisfaction depends on program

Job satisfaction depends on a variety of factors such as who your supervisor/superior is, who your coworkers are, the type of program you work in, and the budget of the program.

Productive and fun workplace

Had lots of fun leading activities and interacting with children and collaborating with other staff. It helped me learn how to time manage more efficiently.

Incredibly flexible, and loving work environment.

Very chill, coworkers are super friendly and have a great atmosphere altogether. Working with them has taught me a lot about customer service, and I am very grateful for that.

Pros

Flexible Hours

So So

I've had a few jobs with the City of Calgary. There are many different walks of life that work there which is wonderful but can also be challenging. There are a lot of expectations with very little support at times, and I found that there were some managers that didn't have the skills to be there. Overall, good starting point for young adults to integrate into the working world, but not a long time career choice

Fun environement with relaxed themes

Very fast paced position dealing with children between the age of 3-14(typically). Good teamwork is required and supervision is helpful to improve the day camps and sports camps.

Pros

Fun environment

Cons

Long preperation

Good summer job, fairly unorganized but a friendly culture

Working with children can be stressful, and the management does not always seem to know what they are doing, but the coworkers are nice and it's good to have an outside job

Expectations are not clear

Although on paper, each duty/job is very clear, the actual expectations of each job is very unpredictable. Each day is a new surprise with what you are expected to do and often times you are left on your own to figure out how to reach the end goals.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Unpredictable situations

A large, open-minded local government providing for its citizens

Management of the Parks and Recreation branch in the City of Calgary is accommodating and fair. In my position as a Recreation Leader, I was tasked with creating weekly scheduled activities for kids aged 6-12 and leading them. As the face of the organization, I had to have excellent communication skills so that parents are able to trust leaders, and are aware of how their children are doing at camp.

Equal Opportunity Employer

The City of Calgary was an equal opportunity employer. It provides good entry level positions, but advancement is difficult. It is a wonderful place to gain work experience. There are also frequent trainings available to city employees and I'd recommend taking advantage of those.

Pros

Great benefits, job security, training opportunities

Cons

Difficult to advance, very low pay for entry level positions

LOVED IT, it was a ton of fun

A typical day at work would begin playing games or sports with young kids. This position has taught me allot, such as How to be patient and more understanding. It has helped me to be more myself and to become not so afraid to let the "kid in me" get out and just have some fun once in a while. The hardest part of my position here was thinking of creative and intuitive ways to coach muay Thai to the youngsters. Even though I have been the sport for so many years, coaching it is a whole other level. It definitely helped me with my presentation skills. A second difficult thing to deal with was preventing and stopping, both with the individual being bullied and the individual being the bully. It was not fun. Very sad to see someone becoming so assumed of themselves because someone was putting them down. My co-workers were a blast! Every Friday night after teen nights all the staff went out for pizza at a pizza place next door. Everyone hung out. The culture was amazing.

Pros

group gatherings, tons of interesting opportunities, being a positive role model for youth

Cons

being done at work at 1230 am on a friday night, needing more direction, more training

Jobs at City of Calgary