City of Calgary

City of Calgary Employee Reviews for Maintenance Person

As a Service Lane Attendant you learn how to work as a team. It is a very fast paced work environment, but you must always work safe at all times. We do various campaigns on the trains every week, which means we may lift seats and clear out garbage underneath or we may clean the light fixtures in the U2 vehicles. This is difficult physical work but we get the job complete. My favourite part of the job is getting the opportunity to drive and park the trains.
Pros
4 days on 3 days off
Cons
Late nights
Pleased to have the opertinity to apply myself, learm and grown, meet knew challanges and build solid working relationships with skilled staff. Provid building ownership a level of compliance through contractor inspection and compliance checks. Understand the importance of keeping all facility dwg's current and availible
Pros
Serving municipality with my experoenced skill set snd leadership
Cons
Ño overtime, lay-off cycled with drastic price with WCS Commodity
When you're at the bottom of the totem pole when working for the city, it takes YEARS to move up. I was stuck on the night shift for 7 years with no light at the end of the tunnel. I have young children and working nights became too much on my body and family. They have wonderful benefits and holiday/sick time and paid pretty good though!
The job very steady, working a consistent shift. My co-workers are very friendly and helpful. The pace is a lot slower than I am used to, there is very much a union mentality, nothing gets done before start time. Hanging around waiting for direction and morning meetings really absorb most of the mornings time. If you are willing to put in 7 years< there maybe a possibility of advancement, but that is if you are not superseded by a worker from another department or plant that has more seniority than you. The work is fairly typical and routine, very hard to think out side the box as other co-workers shut you down due to the union scope of work and what they feel that they should do for the pay that they receive. The hourly wage is very good for working in Calgary, although there is a lot of deductions which bring your take home to an exist able level. Unfortunately Overtime is very scarce, your basic wage is really what have to consider normal, any OT is a bonus. On the up side, your deductions go towards a very good health care program. A lot of you weekly money gets deducted for a pension which is match plus more by the city. Short and long term sick, standard 2 weeks holiday after a year.
Pros
pension and good benifits, good worklife balance
Cons
No OT, little room for advancement, old school managment and work ideas.
The City of Calgary is a diverse and inclusive workplace. Working for The City means exceptional benefits, a defined pension plan, work and life balance, learning and development opportunities, and multiple career paths.
With working with the city of Calgary, was a great experience learning about park maintenance and working with a team.Machinery (trimmer)Learning about different flowers, trees, and how to trim or cut different plants.Hardest part was lifting heavy product, in the hot heatMost enjoyable was working in the sun and being outside, and working with your crew.
Pros
good benefits, fruit days, and special lunch days
Cons
working in hot heat
Jobs at City of Calgary