City of Calgary

City of Calgary Employee Reviews for Administrative Assistant

I have been with the city for 17 years and wouldn't change a day of it. The ability to learn new positions and the security of knowing I can provide for my family
able to gain experience and move through different experience. multiple online learning courses that enhance your employment experience. For someone who is driven, it is a great place to work.
Good company to work for. Have good work culture. Very much everyone cooperative and helpful, and overall good place to work. The most enjoyable part of my job, is looking forward to go to work.
The building that I worked in had a fantastic gym facility that was accessible year round. The fee was very reasonable and there was also a fitness instructor available for tips and suggestions on my fitness goal.
Everyone is so nice and supportive. All the managers treat you like an equal. The work is simple, and if you don't know something and ask they will explain why and how something is done the way it is.
Pros
Great environment
Official response from City of Calgary
29 April 2016
Thank you for the review, we're glad you enjoy working for The City and helping to make Calgary better every day.
The management is top heavy, It is that old saying too many chiefs and not enough Indians. The work load for the regular staff is overwhelming at times. Mostly my co-workers were great, I was always requested back to the same departments once I had worked there. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the public.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
nothing comes to mind
I really liked my small team. I wish I could have been challenged a bit more, but I really liked the reliability. Yeah, you have to deal with a lot of politics but as long as you know how to keep your mouth shut when it's "important" then you'll love it. They really try and make you feel good about being a part of a huge organization, personally, I learned that they're not for me.
Pros
Awesome Pay
Cons
Hard to keep the fire in your belly
I have learned a lot of stuff here. I have enhanced my knowledge in a lot of things.
each day brought opportunity to learn new skills, eg website updates, communications process internal and external, a unique opportunity to interact with Citizens, City Council,MLA's, creative services, working with co-workers on projects such as land, buildings. the great opportunity to learn new processes and skills
Pros
a great place to work providing great challenges to produce great work
Took a refresher course in iRIMS, and SharePoint. Job was easy to settle into as it was similar to what I did when working with the Federal Public Sector. Learned that the approval system was more lax in comparison to the Federal Public Sector. Difficult part of job: Having to keep an eye on the clock as it was my responsibility to relieve the reception from the desk for her breaks. It's easy to lose track of time when focusing on a particular project. Most enjoyable part of the job: being busy, allowed the day to pass quickly. Colleagues had a good attitude providing humor in the workplace.
Pros
Busy
Cons
Replacing Reception
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at City of Calgary?
I only know how to work as a team player and look for a company with this atmosphere.I am experienced in many areas and am proficient in microsoft office.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
unhappy environment
  1. Administrative Assistant