City of Calgary Employee Reviews

Loved working for the City of Calgary
City of Calgary Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 October 2018
Loved working for the city of Calgary but I would like to work closer to home . Loved interacting with customers and employees that I work with We were tonight’s split shifts early mornings drove eight hours a day had to deal with situations of bad weather and good weather Train to drive an Airbrake vehicle
Pros
Bus pass
Cons
A lot of assaults on bus drivers
Great place for work life balance
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 September 2018
This is a great place for work life balance. Management seems to be lacking communication and leadership. Career opportunities are largely based upon education and not skill.
Pros
good pay and pension
Cons
lots of politics
It is completed
Team Lead, Senior Planner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 September 2018
Good working environment and opportunity for advancement.
Location is advantageous, good accessibility. Parking is also available. Lunch room is avaialble
Pros
relaxing atmosphere
Very supportive work enviroment
Leader (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2018
Very fun,productive and supporting work environment. So far it was my favorite place to work. I learned a whole lot of new things with all the training sessions that i feel like ill definitely use in the future.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short hrs
Great place to work at as long as you have the right boss.
Security Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2018
Great place to work at without many of the perks that come with a job in the private sector, such as Christmas parties. Good internal training program.
great
CANSKATE COACH (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 August 2018
they where very understanding with the work hours and they had great management and I loved the shoes there highly recommend working there because of the friendly attitude and welcoming atmosphere
It's fantastic place to work. Great pay, great benefits, great retirement package.
Lead Hand for Confined Space (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 August 2018
I worked there for 27 years and enjoyed every day of it. I was given opportunities to learn new skills and get job advancement . I found the management was fair and we all had equal opportunity for positions as they became available.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
Good summer job, fairly unorganized but a friendly culture
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 August 2018
Working with children can be stressful, and the management does not always seem to know what they are doing, but the coworkers are nice and it's good to have an outside job
The City of Calgary is one of the highest paying municipalities in the country and offers many more benefits than cons.
Geospatial Technologist - Cartography (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 July 2018
Typical day at work was professional, yet casual. Safety and Diversity in the Workplace is strongly promoted. There was no dress code and in a professional environment I was allowed to take breaks when desired. There was no time keeper and as long as I was productive my work ethic was never questioned. My team leader was very knowledgeable and did not micro manage our department. Every one in my group was approachable and there was no requirement to follow a chain of command even though we have senior positions and coordinators. When I had ideas or a desire to take on new tasks, I would usually be granted my request if I could provide a use case and it did not impact the department. I was able to learn new skills by taking the initiative and approaching my team leader. The hardest part of the job was to work with others that I would deem unproductive. These type of workers are protected by the union and it is very difficult for management to take action. Therefore, all you can do is maintain a positive attitude and think of your contributions and not the lack of others. Thank goodness 99% of City of Calgary employees are respectful hard working individuals. I enjoyed coffee breaks with co-workers, organized city events, the freedom of my position, the ability to work four days a week, the option to work two days from home, and lots more.
Pros
Pension, flexible work hours, telework option, very competitive wages, compressed work week, apply/work in temporary City positions while retaining your base position.
Cons
Union environment protects unproductive workers
Awesome Place
Golf Course Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 July 2018
Great place to work, treat you like people. Excellent work climate. wish all companies treated employees this way. One draw back, some positions traditionally held by women are not unionized and therefore you get treated and paid way way less.
Pros
Freedom to work
Cons
Systemic gender discrimination
golf course fun
Golf Course Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 June 2018
great way to get a farmers tan. early mornings and beautiful grounds.
lots of lazy people looking to do the bare minimum. the best part of the job was a job well done.
the worst part of the job was doing other workers jobs over because they didnt do it right the first time
Pros
work by yourseif
Cons
working in all kinds of weather
Fun to Work with Kids
Summer Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 June 2018
it was a definite learning experience where I strengthened my role of leadership. I was making no money because it was volunteering but I received a few free lunches and had some great times
Pros
Working with Kids
Cons
different location every week
Good workplace to grow and advance your career
Excavation Permit Clerk Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2018
Overall day to day work is fairly easy-going. Great place to grow and learn different skills. Management and workplace culture is okay, depends on your department.
New experiences
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 April 2018
I got to learn a lot about interactions with others throught the job, i was a volunteer so i didn't get paid but I still got rewarded for my hardwork at the end of it.
Fun place to work during the summer
Special Events Crew Chief (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2018
So much fun working with the city. Learn everyday new things, always expecting to help people with what they need, and at the end of the day, you feel so comfortable after getting your job done.
Good experience!
DR02, Volunteer Election Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 April 2018
This was a temporary position to help organize voter ballots for Calgary's 2017 Municipal Election. I enjoyed the work environment immensely, everyone was a good team player to one-another to get everything done and it was an experience I will not forget any time soon.
Fitness Coordinator
Fitness Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 April 2018
Excellent place to learn skills gain customer service and technical experience, Hours are reasonable and people are fantastic, very family friendly environment.
Sign Manufacturer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2018
I got hired on as a temporary full-time employee, with a two-year probationary period. Wanted to make career out of it, but got laid off due to budget cuts one week before I became permanent.
Pros
Good schedule
Cons
Difficult to become permanent full-time
Fine, During a Downturn
Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 April 2018
The City is the place to go when there are no other options - generally most staff seem less capable then most in the private sector. The pension is good, but overall salary is quite low.
It is fund to with the cops
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta , Canada29 March 2018
A typical day of work is to keep busy and time go by fast. I have had experience that i do not know before. Also, the Management is nice , they look after you very good and friendly workplace. The hardest part of the jobs is remove the snow and your sweeper is broken. For me, the most enjoyable part of the job is driving on cops's cars.
Pros
best wages
Cons
health care, penson, vacation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Calgary. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Calgary Reviews by Location