City of Calgary Employee Reviews

Good summer job, fairly unorganized but a friendly culture
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 August 2018
Working with children can be stressful, and the management does not always seem to know what they are doing, but the coworkers are nice and it's good to have an outside job
Awesome Place
Golf Course Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 July 2018
Great place to work, treat you like people. Excellent work climate. wish all companies treated employees this way. One draw back, some positions traditionally held by women are not unionized and therefore you get treated and paid way way less.
Pros
Freedom to work
Cons
Systemic gender discrimination
golf course fun
Golf Course Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 June 2018
great way to get a farmers tan. early mornings and beautiful grounds.
lots of lazy people looking to do the bare minimum. the best part of the job was a job well done.
the worst part of the job was doing other workers jobs over because they didnt do it right the first time
Pros
work by yourseif
Cons
working in all kinds of weather
Fun to Work with Kids
Summer Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 June 2018
it was a definite learning experience where I strengthened my role of leadership. I was making no money because it was volunteering but I received a few free lunches and had some great times
Pros
Working with Kids
Cons
different location every week
Good workplace to grow and advance your career
Excavation Permit Clerk Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2018
Overall day to day work is fairly easy-going. Great place to grow and learn different skills. Management and workplace culture is okay, depends on your department.
New experiences
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 April 2018
I got to learn a lot about interactions with others throught the job, i was a volunteer so i didn't get paid but I still got rewarded for my hardwork at the end of it.
Fun place to work during the summer
Special Events Crew Chief (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2018
So much fun working with the city. Learn everyday new things, always expecting to help people with what they need, and at the end of the day, you feel so comfortable after getting your job done.
Good experience!
DR02, Volunteer Election Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 April 2018
This was a temporary position to help organize voter ballots for Calgary's 2017 Municipal Election. I enjoyed the work environment immensely, everyone was a good team player to one-another to get everything done and it was an experience I will not forget any time soon.
Fitness Coordinator
Fitness Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 April 2018
Excellent place to learn skills gain customer service and technical experience, Hours are reasonable and people are fantastic, very family friendly environment.
Sign Manufacturer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2018
I got hired on as a temporary full-time employee, with a two-year probationary period. Wanted to make career out of it, but got laid off due to budget cuts one week before I became permanent.
Pros
Good schedule
Cons
Difficult to become permanent full-time
Fine, During a Downturn
Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 April 2018
The City is the place to go when there are no other options - generally most staff seem less capable then most in the private sector. The pension is good, but overall salary is quite low.
It is fund to with the cops
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta , Canada29 March 2018
A typical day of work is to keep busy and time go by fast. I have had experience that i do not know before. Also, the Management is nice , they look after you very good and friendly workplace. The hardest part of the jobs is remove the snow and your sweeper is broken. For me, the most enjoyable part of the job is driving on cops's cars.
Pros
best wages
Cons
health care, penson, vacation
play for kids
Youth Summer Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 March 2018
working in a team we created game taught kids to play. We did this for the summer throughout the city, went on field trips and educational actives included.
not happy
Commercial Waste Removal (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 March 2018
Seasonal employees do not get to contribute to their pension. minimum two years of working seasonally before you are able to work full time. That was very upsetting for the 24 new hires.
Expectations are not clear
RECREATION LEADER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 March 2018
Although on paper, each duty/job is very clear, the actual expectations of each job is very unpredictable. Each day is a new surprise with what you are expected to do and often times you are left on your own to figure out how to reach the end goals.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Unpredictable situations
Great hours - Flex days
PARIS Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 March 2018
Most enjoyed working with the developmental department assisting with the implementation of new software for the occupational hazard and incident reporting.
Pros
Great hours, calm work environment and good salary
Cons
employment is mostly temporary
Awesome
Survey Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 March 2018
Excellent place to work. I thoroughly enjoyed my internship at the City of Calgary and was amazed at how nice everyone was. It is no wonder that people rarely leave once they are in at the city.
Decent Place to work
Part-time Learn to Skate Coach for Recreation (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2018
Working for Recreation in the City of Calgary was fun for a while, but did not work for me as an individual. I worked one or two 3-4 hour shifts a week. The pay was fair and the environment was positive and helpful. I just didn't feel the job was right for me, and I needed more working hours from my part time job.

I love the kids I got to work with, though the parents were sometimes stressful. Overall it was a positive experience.
Everything non-critical is contracted out
IMAC Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 February 2018
As a sub-contractor, opportunity for advancement is minimal. You do not get all the tools to perform your job efficiently and receive pressure on things out of your control.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Minimal reward or incentive.
Parks Management
Seasonal Labourer (Current Employee) –  Calgary20 February 2018
I worked for parks since 1996 and now worst season. The city hires contracting out for parks and roads. Normally. Started work on April 1st until November Remembrance Day long weekend. April 1st to November 10th. Now the city changed to April 15th to October 10th.I am seasonal park labourer and truck driver. I was hard worker, maintenance, litter pick, laying on the sods, playround renovation, painting, baseball diamonds grooming, inspect bleachers and more.

Our health benefits are excellent. I do not recommended anyone to apply for parks due to corruption.
Pros
very poor
Cons
needs to improve and needs new manager.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Calgary. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Calgary Reviews by Location