City of Calgary Employee Reviews

Fitness Coordinator
Fitness Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 April 2018
Excellent place to learn skills gain customer service and technical experience, Hours are reasonable and people are fantastic, very family friendly environment.
Fine, During a Downturn
Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 April 2018
The City is the place to go when there are no other options - generally most staff seem less capable then most in the private sector. The pension is good, but overall salary is quite low.
It is fund to with the cops
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta , Canada29 March 2018
A typical day of work is to keep busy and time go by fast. I have had experience that i do not know before. Also, the Management is nice , they look after you very good and friendly workplace. The hardest part of the jobs is remove the snow and your sweeper is broken. For me, the most enjoyable part of the job is driving on cops's cars.
Pros
best wages
Cons
health care, penson, vacation
play for kids
Youth Summer Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 March 2018
working in a team we created game taught kids to play. We did this for the summer throughout the city, went on field trips and educational actives included.
not happy
Commercial Waste Removal (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 March 2018
Seasonal employees do not get to contribute to their pension. minimum two years of working seasonally before you are able to work full time. That was very upsetting for the 24 new hires.
Expectations are not clear
RECREATION LEADER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 March 2018
Although on paper, each duty/job is very clear, the actual expectations of each job is very unpredictable. Each day is a new surprise with what you are expected to do and often times you are left on your own to figure out how to reach the end goals.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Unpredictable situations
Great hours - Flex days
PARIS Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 March 2018
Most enjoyed working with the developmental department assisting with the implementation of new software for the occupational hazard and incident reporting.
Pros
Great hours, calm work environment and good salary
Cons
employment is mostly temporary
Awesome
Survey Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 March 2018
Excellent place to work. I thoroughly enjoyed my internship at the City of Calgary and was amazed at how nice everyone was. It is no wonder that people rarely leave once they are in at the city.
Decent Place to work
Part-time Learn to Skate Coach for Recreation (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2018
Working for Recreation in the City of Calgary was fun for a while, but did not work for me as an individual. I worked one or two 3-4 hour shifts a week. The pay was fair and the environment was positive and helpful. I just didn't feel the job was right for me, and I needed more working hours from my part time job.

I love the kids I got to work with, though the parents were sometimes stressful. Overall it was a positive experience.
Everything non-critical is contracted out
IMAC Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 February 2018
As a sub-contractor, opportunity for advancement is minimal. You do not get all the tools to perform your job efficiently and receive pressure on things out of your control.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Minimal reward or incentive.
Parks Management
Seasonal Labourer (Current Employee) –  Calgary20 February 2018
I worked for parks since 1996 and now worst season. The city hires contracting out for parks and roads. Normally. Started work on April 1st until November Remembrance Day long weekend. April 1st to November 10th. Now the city changed to April 15th to October 10th.I am seasonal park labourer and truck driver. I was hard worker, maintenance, litter pick, laying on the sods, playround renovation, painting, baseball diamonds grooming, inspect bleachers and more.

Our health benefits are excellent. I do not recommended anyone to apply for parks due to corruption.
Pros
very poor
Cons
needs to improve and needs new manager.
Work culture
Environment Safety Management (Current Employee) –  City of Calgary8 February 2018
- little communication
- poor performers protected
- good workers leave
- poor management
- minimal recognition of accomplishments
- no annual review of job performance
- no peer job performances
- reports to HR go no-where
- annual work plan rarely reviewed, or completed
Fun
Gymnastics Coach (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 January 2018
This was a really fun place to work while in school. Flexible hours and good pay. Would love to go back one day. There were many wonderful people I worked with.
Electrical Supervisor
Electrical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2018
Provides great work/life balance. Under new financial restraints, less staff is hired with growing infrastructure which does make it tough to manage, I was proud to work here for many years (15).
Pros
Cons
Financial
Tough job, great room
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Whitehorn23 January 2018
311 is front line for all business units within the City of Calgary. Calls range from property tax to sewer backup and bylaw complaints. The calls can be both frustrating and fulfilling. As tough as the job is, the people working there are great and the management allows a lot of flexibility with scheduling and understands how mentally trying it can be sometimes. I appreciate the 4 day work week, the pay and management.
Pros
Great management
Cons
tough calls
nice place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2018
very early mornings and set up for day, busy all day sometimes stressful, most customers are quite pleasent and enjoy coming there. sometimes heavy lifting but employees are willing to work together to get things done
Pros
good atmosphere
great organization
RECREATION PROGRAMMER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2018
great organization, not much job security in current position, very little ability for job advancement due to constant hiring freezes. certain job codes not worth being employed for.
Cons
code 86
urban forestry
Management of a small crew (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB15 January 2018
pay was great, but the city would keep around totally useless workers. Its impossible to get rid of a bad employee

benefits were fantastic pay was great
A large, open-minded local government providing for its citizens
RECREATION LEADER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 December 2017
Management of the Parks and Recreation branch in the City of Calgary is accommodating and fair. In my position as a Recreation Leader, I was tasked with creating weekly scheduled activities for kids aged 6-12 and leading them. As the face of the organization, I had to have excellent communication skills so that parents are able to trust leaders, and are aware of how their children are doing at camp.
Equal Opportunity Employer
CNS Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 December 2017
The City of Calgary was an equal opportunity employer. It provides good entry level positions, but advancement is difficult. It is a wonderful place to gain work experience. There are also frequent trainings available to city employees and I'd recommend taking advantage of those.
Pros
Great benefits, job security, training opportunities
Cons
Difficult to advance, very low pay for entry level positions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Calgary. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Calgary Reviews by Location