City of Burnaby

City of Burnaby Management reviews

Great place to work and good team and workplace culture. Management is very understanding and leadership provide a true leadership. It was an amazing experience.
Depending on your supervisor, they all play favorites. None of the union collective agreements are followed. New friends of management are hired and given hours instead of offering them to existing employees. Hour can be cut at any time. standard breaks are non existent. Overtime is carried over and added to other days, so you don't get time and a half, and the supervisor looks good for not having staff work overtime.
Got injured permanently after countless efforts to try to refuse unsafe work. I was off for over a year with barely any contact with the employer. Absolutely no effort for accomadations for permanently injured workers. I was working fulltime as a auxiliary mon-fri prior to injury. All hr could come up with over a year later was a on call position with a pay cut. Also the union offers barely any support and is most likely in bed with management. Total shock that this is a government sector employer. SHADY BUSINESS!
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Terrible, this company is absolutely terrible. There is nothing positive about working here. I couldn't get paid enough if I were to offered another job at this horrible workplace.
Cons
Worst place to work, ever
Management within the company tell you what you want to hear and preach about how much they care for their employees but when it comes down to it all that matters is the bottom line.
Professional job with effective management team. Opportunity for advancement. Fun and positive work atmosphere. Effective training programs. Great opportunity to work in the outdoors.
Pros
Very good for your lifestyle/fitness.
Cons
Heavy lifting of sport equipment.
Everyone lives in fear. No one has your back, ever. People take credit for your work and management tracks your every move. Some people (professionals) are required to report on every 15 minutes of work they do, everyday! The first opportunity that comes along, you get thrown under the bus! Co-workers are encouraged to report on other workers. It's pathetic!
Pros
Cons
management, work environment
It's nightmare joined that organization, all positions are reserved by friends even posted to the public. In IT even nightmare that a SM joined and fired those she didn't like with immediate effect....those worked for a long time just claimed OT as much as they could even durbig vacation... big make sense....I can't believe it's a government body.....good luck to those new joiners....
Pros
Government job
Cons
Management can do whatever they want even they just an employee
The supervisors and bosses were great you could talk to them . Go to jobsite with a crew and install or repair service , sometimes get called out to an emergency , i.e. broken water main or service . I learned all about pressure ,water valves and how to repair problems , took many courses for my job . Was on safety committees. Management was the very understanding . The hardest part was some of the work we had to do at times . The enjoyable part was all that I learned , all the wonderful people I worked with and all the wonderful people I met .
Burnaby was a great employer but after 26 years I needed a rest. There was many problems between employees and management about working conditions. As an employer in general I had no complaints the pay was great with full benefits, union protection, I enjoyed my time with the city.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
The sewers management team is horrible & that's why I want out!
Pros
na
Cons
na