City of Burnaby

City of Burnaby Employee Reviews in Burnaby, BC

Busyness fluctuates throughout the day, but working collaboratively makes it do-able. I learned to manage time, prioritize tasks, and honed my interpersonal skills.
Fulfilling work in providing service to the community. Positive teams overall. Workplace culture is generally respectful. Very well run municipality with healthy budget.
Pros
Good worklife balance
Cons
Lower pay compared to other municipalities
A diverse workplace with opportunity for training and career growth. The organization is large and has opportunity to move around with in the organization, progressing up a career ladder, moving laterally with in departments, or working in multiple departments.
Depending on your supervisor, they all play favorites. None of the union collective agreements are followed. New friends of management are hired and given hours instead of offering them to existing employees. Hour can be cut at any time. standard breaks are non existent. Overtime is carried over and added to other days, so you don't get time and a half, and the supervisor looks good for not having staff work overtime.
Great friendly atmosphere, shifts are typically 4-5hrs which are great for students. Typical shifts are repetitive and usually very straight forward which also makes it a great option for a first job.
Wish I never left was one of the best jobs and company. The work was different everyday and had a great group of guys working in all departments. The hours were good.
I love working as a lifeguard/swim instructor at the city of Burnaby, always many great experiences with great people! We don't get paid vacation days but we get payment in lieu.
Great people to work with. Always willing to help each other. Always work available. Union atmosphere, and team work. Lots of chances for advancement.
I really do not want to review the cit of burnaby. It overall is a great place to work and recommend it to anybody that wants job stability and plenty of time for family
It’s honour to working with city of Burnaby, friendly staff, good pay, most of the jobs are easy. All the bosses and supervisors are very nice. Union job
Benefits
Cons
Auxiliary no benefits
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at City of Burnaby?
Great place to work and good team and workplace culture. Management is very understanding and leadership provide a true leadership. It was an amazing experience.
Got injured permanently after countless efforts to try to refuse unsafe work. I was off for over a year with barely any contact with the employer. Absolutely no effort for accomadations for permanently injured workers. I was working fulltime as a auxiliary mon-fri prior to injury. All hr could come up with over a year later was a on call position with a pay cut. Also the union offers barely any support and is most likely in bed with management. Total shock that this is a government sector employer. SHADY BUSINESS!
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Terrible, this company is absolutely terrible. There is nothing positive about working here. I couldn't get paid enough if I were to offered another job at this horrible workplace.
Cons
Worst place to work, ever
I loved volunteering for the City of Burnaby.I volunteered in many different areas. My co volunteers were great to work with, as well as those where were overseeing me
Professional job with effective management team. Opportunity for advancement. Fun and positive work atmosphere. Effective training programs. Great opportunity to work in the outdoors.
Pros
Very good for your lifestyle/fitness.
Cons
Heavy lifting of sport equipment.
Everyone lives in fear. No one has your back, ever. People take credit for your work and management tracks your every move. Some people (professionals) are required to report on every 15 minutes of work they do, everyday! The first opportunity that comes along, you get thrown under the bus! Co-workers are encouraged to report on other workers. It's pathetic!
Pros
Cons
management, work environment
Build good strong relationships with the young adults and co-workers. Very fun experience that practices your leadership skills and character. Learned to be initiative throughout the workplace and constantly learned to improved on new sets of skills.
Pros
Very positive environment
Cons
Short hours but longer hours in the summer
Working for the City of Burnaby has been a fun challenge for me. There are a variety of different departments and facilities you can work at depending on what you are looking for. The energy is very fast paced at the facility I work at and my coworkers are very enjoyable to work with.
Pros
Team players
Cons
People having complaints
voluntary visit senior be company organize some game, play with them and good conversation. Help to them to organize somethigs in them suite and prepared a little snark
Enjoy workplace enviroment,great crew,great boss, been temporary full time ,think that a full time position should become available sooner.A variety of jobs to be done with city of such size.
Pros
Variety and great crew
Cons
Not knowing day to day where job is
People are not used to changes. Really hard to innovate since the people do not like changes and work must go through many people before it will actually be approved and accepted.
Pros
flexible hours as an AUX
Cons
no work for you - cutting your hours